Search billions of records on

More about Jimmy       GEGG Photo Albums       More about Jimmy and Lizzie

James Albert Gegg (1850 - 1915)
Page 3

These pages about Jimmy are split as follows :

Page 1 : Bits & Pieces
Page 2 : Involvement with education
Page 3 : Newspaper extracts
Page 4 : More newspaper extracts
Page 5 : Newspaper reports of the negligently branding trial

James Gegg

James Albert Gegg was a well known figure in the Goulburn NSW district even once running for Parliament. Consequently he figured quite regularly in the local newspapers. The Goulburn Family History Society did a newspaper search on the name Gegg. The following articles relating to him were extracted.

20 January 1876 : Goulburn Evening Penny Post

[NB : J A Gegg's wife Lizzie's maiden name was Tickner. There were a number of Peter Tickner's alive at the time but given J A Gegg gives testimony that "Tickner is a brother-in-law of mine" as reported in the story it is believed that this story is about Lizzie's younger brother Peter Tickner (1855 - 1929) who married Mary Smith in 1879.]

HEADING : Land Inquiry Court
The case of Peter Tickner, who was charged with non residence on his conditional purchase of 50 acres at Cullulla, made on the 5th June 1873, the report stating January 1874. Mr Gannon for the selector. The report of Mr Dean went to show that the selector did not live on the selection at the time of the survey; and Mr Street's report of the following years stated that there was a hut on the selection, but no sign of any living person living in it; the purchaser was camped on the ground at the time.
Peter Tickner stated : I am the owner of the land in question, and within a month I put up a one roomed hut, and have continued to reside there ever since, except at times when I went to look for work; besides the hut the whole of the land is enclosed with a log fence; a dam has also been made on the ground.
To the Commissioner : Mr Gegg took out the selection in my name; I am living with Mr Gegg
James Albert Gegg stated : I know the selection of Tickner's; he has made it his bona fide residence; he took possession of the land within a month after the selection was made, within which time the frame of a hut was put up, and which was finished shortly afterwards; he has slept in the hut ever since it was finished, which was direcly after the surveyor had been there. To the Commissioner : During the seven months after the selection was taken up, and before the surveyors came, Tickner slept under the frame of the hut by putting up a couple of sheets of bark; I took up the selection for Tickner, who was working for me at the time; Tickner is a brother-in-law of mine.
Charles Henry Roberts stated : I know Tickner's selection; I recollect passing there about two years ago, when I saw Tickner coming out of his hut very early in the morning, and he appeared to me as if he had been sleeping there; Tickner works for me sometimes, and occasionally stopped at my place.

9 September 1882 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Land Court Inquiry
James Albert Gegg 40 acres, Marulan; selected by John Sweeney, 7th June 1877; transferred on 30 September 1881; Summons for non-compliance with residence and improvement clauses.
Mr Cropper deposed to having inspected the land on the 6 March and being satisfied that the original selector, John Sweeney, had carried out the conditions of the act applying to residence, and also effected improvements to the extent of 71/8/6d
John Sweeney deposed that he went to reside on the land within 3 days of the date of selection and always made it his home with the exception of when he was absent with his team carting lime. The land was transferred to Gegg on the 30 Sept 1881.
A witness Robert Francis was called to testify as to the residence clause being carried out by Sweeney.
The commissioner thought sufficient proof had been given as to the clauses being properly carried out.

13 October 1883 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Police Court : Straying Horse
James Gegg was summoned for allowing his horse to stray in Sloane Street. Defendant admitted the offence and was fined 5/-. Paid

15 January 1884 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Police Court
A slaughter license was granted to J. A. Gegg of Windellama

24 April 1886 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : The Braidwood Railway. To the Editor
Sir, In the Braidwood News of the 9th instant I noticed a letter signed "Railway", by which I understand that the gentleman is not at all satisfied with regard to the movement for the formation of a railway line from Marulan to Braidwood, instead of from Tarago to Braidwood. "Railway" says that I must be deeply interested in this matter, which statement is quite true; and judging by the tone of "Railway"'s letter I should say that he is equally as much interested in the matter as I am, and perhaps a little more so. But speaking plainly I should say that it becomes every honest-minded colonist to be interested in such a matter as the construction of the railways of the colony. As railways are made and paid for with public money, I should say whatever route would be the greatest benefit to the general public and likely to pay the best after completion should be the right one, even if a few miles longer to construct.
In my former letter [This former letter was not located by the Goulburn FH Society's search.] I asked for some information with regard to the paying of the line from Tarago to Braidwood. Such information "Railway" neglected giving. Had it been given it might have let us into the secret of our Marulan line being less useful than the one from Tarago.
I still maintain that the line from Marulan to Braidwood would be by far the best-paying route, and in the long run would be the least expense to the colony, as we all know that the more traffic there can be secured to support the line the sooner it will pay for itself.
Yours, J A Gegg Windellama, April 20, 1886

18 September 1886 Goulburn Herald

Gegg Jas. Conditional Land Purchase. 170 acres Cullulla

24 May 1890 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Warden's Court
Yesterday, Mr F R Wiltshire, warden for the mining district of Berrima, held a Warden's Court at Goulburn and dealt with applications from James Armstrong and James Albert Gegg for partial suspension of the labour conditions required in their gold leases near Bungonia. The warden stated that he would recommend to the Mines Department the concessions asked for.

9 April 1892 : Goulburn Evening Penny Post

HEADING : Warden's Court
A Warden's court was held at Goulburn on Friday morning, before Mr Wiltshire, district Warden. James A Gegg lodged a complaint against George Whittaker to restrain him from interfering with the complainant's water right at Yellow Springs, Windellima. Mr Johnson appeared on behalf of the application. The evidence given showed that the defendant had cut a race leading from the springs, which had the effect of diverting the water from complainant's works. Defendant on the other hand denied his responsibility as he was not the recognised officer of the company under whose instructions the work had been carried out. It was done by the Shoalhaven Syndicate Registered Company, the legal manager of which was Mr R Lindin, of South Sydney. The application was postponed until the 22nd instant for the production of further evidence for the defence, the water to be allowed to continue its usual course pending the settlement of the dispute. The complainant was allowed 2 2s expenses for the day.

23 April 1892 : Goulburn Evening Penny Post

HEADING : Warden's Court
Mr Wiltshire, District Warden, held a court at Goulburn on Friday evening to consider an adjourned application by J A Gegg to restrain John Whittaker from using the water of two springs at Yellow Creek, Windellima. It was stated at the previous sitting that Whittaker had cut a race which went through one of the springs, diverting the water from Gegg's mining works.
Mr Johnson appeared for Gegg, and Mr O'Brien for Whittaker.
John Whittaker deposed that he had several water rights in the district, which were registered at Nerriga mining office; he knew the property Gegg complained of; the water rights witness held were for the same property as Gegg claimed; Smith is in charge of the company's works; no one is in charge of the work which Gegg complained of; there was no head of water at the spot claimed by Gegg; witness had known the claim for years; he had never known Gegg to work it for mining purposes; witness applied for a storm water right in connection with the springs and it was granted; the water was in two branches; one branch started on Crown lands and the other had its source on witness's own land; he understood his rights to combine all the rights of the place.
To Mr Johnson : Witness had not been on the mining property in question for about two or three months; witness's rights were prior to Gegg's rights; the rights were taken up on the 20th July, 1889; they were taken up for the company and afterwards bought over by witness; he would swear that within 14 days after he became possessed of the property he commenced operations; the property had never been left unoccupied for a period of six months; witness's race ran right through one of the springs, but it did not drain much water out of it.
J A Gegg, examined by Mr O'Brien, deposed that he had a miner's right for the present year; the two springs he complained of as being encroached upon were worked by him as required by the Act; he held a water right for the springs in question; he believed Whittaker's applications were prior to witness's, but they were storm water rights.
After hearing the evidence and addresses by counsel Mr Wiltshire decided that Whittaker had no right to the springs under his storm water rights and ordered that the trespasses complained of should cease. The applicant was allowed 2 2s costs.

25 August 1892 : Goulburn Evening Penny Post

HEADING : Accident
A young man named Gegg, a resident of Windellama was on Wednesday handling a revolver which he did know was loaded when the weapon exploded, the bullet passing through one of his fingers and shattered the bone. He came into town to Dr McMaster, who dressed the wound. [With the use of the term "young man" this article possibly refers to one of J.A.'s sons. Given the accident on 2 September 1884 where J.A.'s son Albert shot the end off one of his fingers and this one, the attitude to safe gun handling practices in the Gegg household appears to be open to question.]

28 February 1896 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Warden's Court - Suspension of labour
James A Gegg, as agent for the Jerralong Gold Mining Company at Jerralong, applied for suspension of labour on a quartz reef at Jerralong on the Shoalhaven.
Applicant deposed that the application was made with the view of obtaining further machinery to work the reef; between 6000 and 7000 had been spent on the reef, 1000 of which had been spent within the last 12 months; the extra machinery is required to develop the reef. 6 months suspension was granted.

15 April 1896 : Goulburn ?

HEADING : Suicide at Windellama
News reached town yesterday that James Arthur Sidebottom, 22, employed by Mr Gegg of Windellama, had committed suicide on Monday by blowing out his brains with a gun. The rash act was committed in the bush where the body was found by Mr Gegg's son, and the cause of the act is supposed to be disappointed love. Mr and Mrs Gegg were away in Goulburn when the affair happened, and learnt of it yesterday on their way home. The Coroner and Dr McKillop, Government Medical Officer, went to Windellama this morning to hold an inquest.

17 April 1896 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Suicide
On Wednesday the Coroner (Mr H O'Brien) held an inquiry at the residence of Mr J A Gegg of Windellama as to the cause of death of James Arthur Sidebottom, who shot himself on the previous day as reported in the last issue of this paper.
J J Croker deposed that deceased was a labourer, 22 years of age, and had been a state child and was with the witness for 9 years; he told witness he was born in Manchester; his life was insured in the Mutual life Association for 250; witness did not know whether he had left a will; he said that he had an uncle and aunt named Sidebottom in Sydney, and that his father had been with him in the colony, and that one morning his father took some lunch with him and he never saw him again; his mother had died in England when he was 5 years old; witness did not know of any reason for his committing suicide.
J A Gegg deposed that deceased had been working for him; he possessed a mare, saddle, bridle and a gun and had money in the Bank of NSW; he was very steady and of a somewhat self-willed disposition; had no reason for thinking he might commit suicide; five weeks ago witness had told him to get another place, as he had to retrench, but he could stay till he suited himself, and he had been trying accordingly.
Martha E Gegg, daughter of the last witness, deposed that deceased had been paying his addresses to her, but they had quarrelled in February and had not made it up; the day before yesterday he had wanted her to do so, but she refused; in February when they quarrelled he told witness she was the only girl he loved and if he did not get her he would blow out his brains.
Chas W Gegg, brother of the last witness, gave evidence, but it was not material. Thomas Larkham Bills, labourer, deposed to having found the deceased lying dead.
Dr McKillop deposed that he had made a post mortem examination; the bones of the upper part of the head had been blown away from a gunshot wound and the brains and bones were scattered about; deceased when witness first saw him was lying on the ground with a gun between his arms; considered the cause of death to be a gunshot wound self inflicted. The Coroner found that the deceased died from a gunshot wound self inflicted.

27 April 1896 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Windellama
A very successful ball was held in J A Gegg's wool shed at Windellama in aid of the Goulburn hospital, iniated at a suggestion of Mr Gegg, undertook the secretaryship and carried out the duties so energetically as to secure success for which credit was deserved.
The various arrangements were carried out by means of donations in money or kind so that the gross receipts without deduction would go to the institution; and the ladies of the neighbourhood gratuitously provided the refreshments.
The attendance was large including almost every person for miles around either taking part in the festivities or interested spectators willing to contribute their share to the financial result. The dancing space was occupied by about 60 couples and the floor was in capital condition. Amongst those present were residents of Windellama, Bungonia, Nerriga, Marulan, Jerrara, Boro, Collector, Nadgingomar, Bronti and other places. Goulburn was also represented. The room is a spacious one and it was tastefully decorated in a profuse and artistic manner with greenery and flowers, while in many parts of the building were displayed appropriate mottos such as "Welcome in the Cause of Charity" and "Assist the Needy". The decorations were effected by the Misses Gegg, Sweeney and Ryan, assisted by Mrs Calthorpe, and to these ladies very great credit is indeed due. Refreshments were laid in a large marquee adjoining the ballroom, and the tables and the wants of the guests were carefully attended by a large staff of ladies headed by Mrs Gegg. The principal part of the refreshments were contributed by Mr Thos and the Misses Sweeney, Mesdames J A Gegg, Calthorpe, Croker, Henderson, R H Roberts, W Goodchild, J J Ryan, Purcell, T Hockey, Burgess and W & C Muffett. The committee also desire us to mention the kindness of Messrs Hammer & Oxenberry, E Stevens and T Byrne of Goulburn, each of whom contributed kindly and liberally to the refreshment tables.
The music was supplied by the members of the Goulburn model band, who gave their services gratuitously, as did also Mr F Fenton, who presided at the piano. Assistance was also given by the Feltham Bros of Marulan who are first class violinists and also by Mr B Donnelly of Goulburn and others. The music gave complete satisfaction to the dancers. The band was driven out from Goulburn by J W McCabe who placed his four in hand drag at the disposal of the committee and in other ways assisted in the success of the undertaking. The piano was lent by Mrs Henderson. During the night those who were not dancers were entertained with songs and recitations. The hospital will benefit by the ball

8 October 1897 : Goulburn Herald

HEADING : Mining Court
J A Gegg, miner and storekeeper deposed; Know block 22; inspected it on 26 Sept and saw the claim of Broadhead and party; the only plant witness saw on Broadhead's claim was a dilapidated sluice box and another small box; in the sluice box there was a copper plate quicksilvered; the value was about 38/-; the boxes were on the lower claim which is partly outside the lease application; there was no one on the ground; witness gave evidence of conversation with Noble as to pegs, trenches and boundaries; and stated that work done was wholly inconsiderable; the country is particularly adapted by nature for hydraulic sluicing.
P J O'Neill corroborated the evidence of Mr Gegg as to the amount of work done; he had himself prospected block 22 two years ago, but found it unpayable; there were old abandoned workings there and on Block 17 James Armstrong, miner, Bungonia, gave evidence at some length as to his taking up the land in question; there was then no one working there or he could not have taken it up. He also gave particulars as to the suspensions and as to the absence of water. He saw Noble working in April but it was outside Witness's claim and he was the only man there. Witness gave particulars as to pegs and boundaries and as to amount of work done. He deposed that it was intended to work the ground by hydraulic sluicing and that an English syndicate had now the matter in hand; 500 had already been advanced for the preliminary expenses and the syndicate proposed spending 22000 on the first race, which was now being surveyed and would give employment to 350 men; a second and more expensive race was also included in the scheme; the manager for the syndicate was now in Sydney and ready to start work as soon as the leases were approved.
Edward William Finch, civil engineer, knew the locality of the land applied for, and also the shoalhaven drift; witness was in the locality in January last; the weather was then exceedingly dry; a good man could shift about 12 to 14 cubic yards of earth a day; heard one of the Shepherds give evidence as to tunnelling; did not believe it was possible for 2 men to do 10 or 12 feet per day under conditions mentioned by Shepherd; tunnelling would be worth 5/- or 6/- per lineal foot. This concluded the inquiry in regard to the applications of Jas Armstrong for the whole leases. The solicitor in the case of Broadhead and Noble versus Armstrong agreed to allow the case to be decided by the result of the inquiry, as the evidence was the same as would be offered in the case.

17 March 1900 : Goulburn Evening Penny Post

HEADING : Braidwood (From local papers)
At the Police Court on Monday, before Messrs. McKensey, PM, J W Bunn, G Read, J Kenny, Jas McDonald and E M Royds, J A Gegg was summonsed for using obscene language in the Royal Hotel, Braidwood, on the night of the 6th instant. Mr Ross appeared for defendant, who pleaded not guilty.
Senior-constable McKeon and Constables Park and McKenzie deposed to having heard defendant talking loudly in the bar, saying, "I don't care a b-----" The police were outside and afterwards went into the hotel and saw defendant and three or four others besides the landlord in the bar, which was lit up. Several persons were also in the parlour talking loudly, but the police could not hear what they were saying beyond something about a roan cow. Defendant and three others who were present swore that no such word was made use of, that defendant was having an argument and was a good deal excited, but that what he said was, "I don't care a d-----". The defendant who is a storekeeper at Windellama and a JP, and at present boarding at the Royal Hotel, is a man of excellent character as deposed to by Senior-constable McKeon and Constable McKenzie, the former saying in reply to Mr Ross that he looked upon him as "being as nice a gentleman as ever came into the district."
Jas Albert Gegg, storekeeper and a JP living at Windellama, deposed that he had been boarding at the Royal Hotel for some time; was in the bar about 12 o'clock; there were three others in the bar before the police came in; did not make use of the word in the information; he said, "I don't care a d-----"; McKeon said I was talking very loudly and could be heard in the street; said I was vexed; did not say I was sorry. In cross examination witness said he would not swear he did not use the word; he was excited at the time.
By Senior-constable McKeon : You walked straight into the parlour after speaking to me; when I said to you "Will there be anything more about it?" I referred to proceedings against the house; this was not in the bar, it was in the passage, and after you were in the parlour. Witness was asked the names of those who were in the parlour, when the PM said there was no need to give them.
T Pooley, T Musgrave and J Barry gave evidence for the defence.
Mr Ross addressed the Bench and pointed out that the word might have been used by any one of the others in the bar or in the parlour, as the police were not present at the time and the witnesses all positively denied hearing defendant use the expression and one of them swore positively he did not make use of such a word.
The bench retired for a short time and upon their return the PM said they had come to the conclusion the charge was sustained. Defendant was fined 10s and 4s 10d costs.


Updated : 30 Jul 2015