Children: @ least 5 sons and 4 daughters. Thomas Owen Williams [21 February 1748], Elizabeth Ann Williams [b. 30 Oct. 1749, m. Zachariah Berry], Elisha Owen Williams [b. 09 May 1752], William Prather Williams [b. 29 April 1754], Elinore Hilleary Williams [b. 05 Apr. 1757, d. ~1815 Prince George's County; buried Hagerstown church yard, m. Rezin Davis], Martha Williams [b. 22 Dec. 1759, m. Walter Claggett s/o Thomas and Mary Meek Magruder Clagett] children: William Clagett of Georgetown, D.C.; Walter Clagett; Martha E. Clagett m. Henry Addison; Sarah Clagett m. Jeremiah Berry s/o Zachariah Berry; Darius Clagett m. 07 March 1825 to Providence Dorsey Brice d/o John Brice of Washington, D.C., Edward Owen Williams [b. 18 Apr. 1761], Barbara Williams [m. 23 December 1786, Prince George's County, to Francis Magruder](*22.)(*23.)(*25.), Walter Caid Williams (*22.)(*24.)(*24a.)
Barbara Owen married William Williams, 1746 (*23.). Barbara's father, Thomas Owen did not leave a will; William Williams, as husband to T.O.'s only heir [as a son-in-law] is the accountant of record for Thomas Owen's Inventory and Accounts 1752 (*14). A record recorded 19 April 1798, a clarification of land ownership [land once owned by Thomas Owen; given before his death to namesake, nephew, and the son of Edward Owen Sr.: Thomas Owen. This transaction in 1798 under the over-sight of the younger Thomas Owen's nephew, Edward Owen, a grand son of Edward Owen Sr., the son of Maj. Robert Owen] occured in Montgomery County, Maryland, 10 March 1798; and, shows the following: that Barbara Owen was Thomas Owen's legal heir; that Barbara Owen married William Williams; that they raised up, to maturity, @ least the following children who signed off on this land in 1798: Edward Williams, Elizabeth Williams [m. Zachariah Berry], Barbara Williams [m. Francis Magruder], Elisha O. Williams, Martha Williams [m. Walter Claggett], William P. Williams, Walter C. Williams (*22.). There are many primary source records that prove Barbara married William Williams; that he was the son of Thomas Williams. Many records: court, testimonies, land, and a will, still exist that refer to, or are signed by: 'William Williams son of Thomas'. During more than 20 years of married life and each of William's land sales, Barbara always signs off on those deed records. William Williams left a will and Barbara was the executrix, son Thomas Owen Williams the co-executor (*49.).
In the last paragraph, we had found a land record that gave us this information: ALL FOUR of William and Barbara Owen WILLIAMS' daughters were married; and, we realized their husband's names. The same instrument did not give us ANY spousal information, or even a complete listing of the five male children. However, as we have searched land records and dealings of the boys, we are able to list below, these boys and some of their descendants:
*Thomas Owen Williams, eldest and heir, b. 21 February 1748, d. 24 October 1818, married Mary Claggett Berry, b. 24 August 1746, d. March 1811. A fair amount of recorded land sales, throughout their adult and married life, acknowledged by Mary, props this relationship up. For an example, see Montgomery County Court land records, Liber B folios 285-287. We also found their cemetery stones (*36.). Immediately following are Thomas Owen and Mary Claggett Berry WILLIAMS issue:
+One of the above mentioned stones found tells us that there was a son born to this union named Thomas Owen Williams Jr.; b. 1776, d. 1810; alas, he died fairly early; and, some think that stone fragments list one other, an infant.
++Mary Williams, b. 08 November 1780, d. 09 December 1857, m. Thomas Berry, P.G.'s County 05 June 1815. Thomas Owen Williams devised 'Seat Pleasant' to this Thomas Berry (*36.).
+++Elisha Washington Williams b. 1778 or 1779, was a business partner with his younger brother Jeremiah Williams.
++++Jeremiah is mentioned in his grandmother's will [Mary Claggett BERRY].
+++++William Berry Williams received acerage from his father, 1810 in Washington County, MD; cost: 10s.
++++++Otho, named after Thomas Owen Williams cousin and commanding officer, had a grandson named Otho who was a soldier, officer, and joined the SAR with Thomas Owen Williams as his patriot.
+++++++Eliza Thomas Williams married Washington Berry in Prince George's County on 17 June 1822.
With the exception of Thomas Owen Williams Jr., who died while still in early adulthood; all of the above siblings are listed in a single deed (*62.). Eliza T. Williams Berry can be found named, as is her father, in a legal case before the Washington D.C. Court of Appeals (*63.)
*Elisha Owen Williams, b. 09 May 1752, d. 14 December 1805 in Georgetown, D.C., married 06 May 1784 in Georgetown D.C. by Reverend Doctor Stephen B. Balch to: Harriet Beall, b. ~1769, d. 23 March 1843. In September 1838, Harriet is listed age 69; she has a sister named Catharine Beall Mackall. Elisha and Harriet had a daughter: known in her adulthood as, Margaret A. Johns. Harriet was a co-exectrix of Elisha Owen Williams's last will and testament; in that will reference is made to seven children. The census for 1800, District of Columbia, counts 3 boys and three girls. Brooke Beall Williams, Harriet Eliza Williams, Elisha Williams, Dolly Williams, and Thomas Owen Williams are those we can name today; and, with Margaret named above, that's six. Elisha served his country in the Revolutionary War; He entered the service in late winter or early spring, 1776, with a commission of 2nd Lieutenant in Captain Deakins Company & Colonel Charles G. Griffith's Maryland Regiment. The unit was known as the 'Flying Camp'. He was at New York, after it's loss he was in Long Island, in the battle @ Harlem, and @ White Plains. His six-month hitch ended 10 December 1776, at which time he accepted an appointment as a Captain in Colonel Gundy's 7th Maryland Regiment. In this capacity he served at Brandywine, and Germantown. Elisha Owen Williams was wounded in the thigh, near his knee; thus, he resigned 28 November 1777. Harriet was granted a pension with back pay on 01 September 1838; she was a resident of Georgetown, D.C. (*24b.). A grand-daughter of Elisha O. and Harriet WILLIAMS; named for her grandmother; the beautiful daughter of Brooke Beall & Rebecca WILLIAMS; will marry a much senior gentleman... the [hopelessly in love] Russian Minister: Baron Bodisco. In the early 1790s [1791-1792], Elisha Owen Williams is working for the Adjutant General's office in Washingon, D.C.; assigned to 'the commissioners': Records are found of his being sent-out to manage contractors, or to secure labor for building the original 'Capitol' building, and the President's residence [White House]. Seems the Williams family is 'building' another town!
*William Prather Williams, b. 29 April 1754, d. 11 April 1811, never married. Once younger brother Edward Owen Williams reached his majority [at least by 1784]; the eldest brother Thosmas Owen Williams finally divided the properties willed by William Williams to his eldest four sons; William Prather Williams received ownership/control of a part of Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged. This parcel of land was known as: 'Young Man's Delight'. William Prather Williams, therefore, became the executive in charge of sales and developement of the new county seat of Montgomery County Maryland. Through-out multiple land sales & records of the sales of these town lots, NO mention of spousal acknowledgement occurs. He pre-deceased his eldest brother, Thomas Owen Williams by about seven years; and, William Prather Williams was buried in the same, small, family plot, that was located on the final estate of Thomas Owen and wife Mary Claggett Berry WILLIAMS, at "Seat Pleasant" (*36.).
*Edward Owen Williams married Elizabeth Clagett [daughter of Richard, grandaughter of Richard, great-grandaughter of Richard, grt/grt-grandaughter of Thomas Clagett] 04 December 1800, in Montgomery County; and, they lived in Berkley County, Virginia in 1812; if not, before. See Montgomery County Court land records, Liber Q, folios 193-195. A biography of a son of this union, written in the late 1880s while the son was yet alive, tells us the following: [NOTE: ALL immediate following data for E.O.Williams is from secondary source, not PRIMARY source] "Edward Clagett Williams, physician, Martinsburg, son of Dr. Edward O. and Elizabeth Williams, was born on what is known as the Swan Pond Place, Berkeley County, Virginia, in 1815, and has always been a resident of this section of the country. His father, Dr. Edward O. Williams was married thrice; first to Sallie Morgan, who lived only one year after marriage [no issue]; second [1790?] to Priscilla Beale [sic, Beall] of Maryland [d. 1799], and by this union three children [viz. Eliza, Eleanor, Charles Beall Williams]; finally, Miss Elizabeth Claggett of Maryland, and by this marriage there were born two children." [I am working on these marriage scenarios]. "The son, issue of Elizabeth, physician Edward Clagett Williams m. 1837 to Sallie Shepherd, issue, eight. Viz. Edward C., Louis M. [Texas?], Thomas Shepherd, and Mary Elizabeth (married Abram Shepherd). Dr.E.O.Williams is said to have died aged 62 years ; Elizabeth died about 30 years later, aged 77 years."
*Walter Caid Williams, this author believes, was not yet born when his father's will was written, 1767. He was born by 1769. He is called out in his mother's will. Walter Caid Williams WAS NOT born in 1729 as many web entries state; they are definately re-naming his father's brother! The middle name 'Caid' was the surname of Barbara's elder half-brother, Robert Caid, who died in his teenage years. This half-brother was NOT too distant in age from Barbara; and, it appears, that Barbara was honoring the memory of her 1/2 sibling, in the naming of her young son. Walter Caid Williams married Christiana Heugh, 02 August 1796, in Montgomery County, Md. [P.G.'s Parish Records]. See Montgomery Co. land record Liber K, folios 144,145,146. Daughters found for sure: Barbary, b. 27 March, 1799 [P.G.'s Parish Records]; Sarah H. who married George Hughes [they lived in Baltimore]. Christiana Williams lived in Georgetown, D.C., after Walter died; and, both [Sarah and Christiana] are proven by Montgomery Co. land record Liber BS 10, folio 443, 444. **How would you like to have an elder brother who would "set you up" next door to where your mother last lived? A deed to Walter Caid Williams [perhaps an older brother caring for a sibling who had realized nothing from his father's will] for 5s sterling is recorded in Montgomery County on 09 January 1797, Lot #15 of Bradford's Rest... a 260 acre lot adjacent to the original, Thomas Owen lease of 300+A.; see Liber G folios 381,382.
Do NOT follow the herd of genealogists on line; those, who ASSUME that all folk, surnamed 'Williams', who were at some point of time living within the confines of the original Prince George's County, are close KIN. Real fact is: there were Williams families of England; Williams families of Wales; Williams families of Scotland; Williams families of Ireland; etc., et al... "Williams" was a common surname in Great Brittain, second only to Smith, in numbers; and, MANY genealogists just gather names and create ONE LARGE HAPPY AMERICAN WILLIAMS FAMILY! There will, on this website be noted some inter-action between this particular Williams family, that we have laid down; and, my direct family line, as we proceed to tell you the story of "3 brothers named Owen in Prince Georges County, Maryland". However, before we leave the Williams family completely... I must tell you of some of the significant Prince George's / Frederick / Montgomery Counties; and, the U.S.A.'s capital's history [Washington D.C.] to which these Williams contributed; but alas, sometimes NOT given credit for... including the issue of Barbara OWEN Williams! It is the intention of this document, to state what primary records show; to call-out statements for which no primary source is given; and, in doing these things to give a TRUTHFUL account of the Williams' contribution to Maryland area history.
On-line there is a history of Rockville Cemetery, which is located in Rockville, Maryland: the Montgomery County Seat (*43.). From a stated source for that history, "...that a memorandum should be made, that as Mr. Thomas Williams was so kind as to offer two acres of land being part of land called Mill Land for the building of a Chappell on that the Vestry accepts the same." (*26.) This was the beginning of a 'Chapel of Ease' and later the cemetery in the Chapel yard; which cemetery, much enlarged, still exists and operates today. This cemetery will be mentioned later in regard to my line of descent; and, the oldest marker that is still standing today, marks a 6th great-grandfather for me. The land patent Mill Land had been surveyed 10 March 1724 and patent granted 22 November 1726 to Edward Dawson for 214 acres (*27.); lying "at the head of a glade on a branch of Rock Creek." Mill Land was approximately one mile Northeast of what became the center of Rockville. Per the Rockville Cemetery History: a Thomas Williams [this is William Williams's father] of the plantation Three Sisters [then in Prince George's County] leased this site for a water mill by 1731, and in 1734 [also, per the Prince George's County land records on this point] Thomas Williams purchased 164 [sic... 214A. The story-teller confused this tract with a later record, an adjacent tract, of same name @ 164A. which the Dawsons also still owned] acres of the tract Mill Land with Mill, Stones, and Utensils, etc. from Edward and Margaret Dawson (*28.).
About Three Sisters, above, where Thomas Williams lived [and William Williams grew up]: 1,050A of Three Sisters was certified to Developer/Owner Thomas Hillary during the year 1684 (*29.). The estate of Thomas Hillary with respect to Three Sisters records in the land office went down in 1707 (*30.). Thomas Hillary was the great-grandfather of William Williams; and, this is mentioned to give sight to the Williams family line of descent. The holdings of Thomas Owen Williams, first-born of William and Barbara Owen WILLIAMS, and some of this Three Sisters tract, figure in Chancery proceedings and the Land Office records near 100 years later  (*31.).
We just mentioned Thomas Owen Williams; eldest of William and Barbara Owen WILLIAMS's children. Let's consider his activities in the formation of a new Maryland county; Montgomery County from Frederick County, 1776; Frederick County having previously  been formed from Prince George's County. A web page titled Owen: Three Brothers in 1700s Maryland, in our account of brother #1, Thomas Owen, we mentioned the petition requesting formation of Frederick County from Prince George's County, AND, the suggestions for courthouse placement as laid out in a petition where Thomas Owen was among the signers. William Williams watched this new father-in-law at this time, and he listened to father-in-law and his peers' commentary. When talk started up about another new county, mid-1760s, William Williams began, it seems, to position himself to own land, prime real-estate, in strategic locations; the central areas; and the gathering places, of the local society. He gained control of some of the 'Ordinaries' and 'Inns' or large buildings located about the active central point of the county, and this time his heir and son, Thomas Owen Williams was watching, listening. Here's what the records say: "Creation..." [of Montgomery County] "occured 01 October 1776; but, little government is possible before the election of officers..." This election of officers "was scheduled for 18 December 1776 @ the house now occupied by Charles Hungerford. The Convention had named commissioners for purchasing the necessary land," UP TO 4 ACRES, "and erecting a courthouse thereon, but until this project was finished the court chose to meet at Leonard Davis's Tavern. Its first meeting at Davis's Tavern occurred May 22, 1777; the last, March 9, 1779." [Leonard Davis was paid 2400 pounds of tabacco for the lease and improvements [i.e. a Gaol] (*60.). These improvements were evidenced in the 1783 assessment for Thomas Owen Williams; being one, or, some of the listed 4 'out' buildings. "The term of court which opened August 10, 1779, was held, according to the clerk, at 'the courthouse,' indicating that for some reason Leonard Davis's place was no longer considered suitable. What this 'courthouse' was is revealed by a proposal found in the records of the same term of court as follows: Thomas Owen Williams files in Court here the following proposals, to wit, August the 14th 1779. Proposals made by Thomas Owen Williams to the Justices of Montgomery County Court '--To have the House they sitt in--'..." The upper and lower floors to be laid; Doors and Windows convenient, to the House, the Windows to be Glazed; the lower walls to be filled in with Brick; one fireplace above and one below Stairs two Rooms above stairs to be seated for Jury's tables and benches, to hold Court. The present Gaol to be fill'd in, and made secure, with a Stove at the season of the Year when required the whole to be compleatd by November Court next. Received and approved of by Court, for three years rent free. Witness my Hand the Date aboveó Tho O Williams." GET THIS: '3 years Rent Free.' Thomas Owen Williams swears to a Recognizance bond of 2000 pounds current money with two Sureties of 1000 pounds current money each: Elisha Owen Williams [his brother] and William Robinson. This bond was to insure that he would do as he said he would do. The court liked the idea enough to also dedicate money [from the 1780 levy] enough to hire Benjamin Ray to erect a new whipping post, stocks and a pillory (*32.). In early 1783, the assessment for that year, "Thomas O. Williams is noted as the owner, in Upper Newfoundland and Seneca Hundred, of a tract of land called 'Young Man's Delight,' containing 200 Acres and improved by "1 framed Court House, 3 framed dwelling houses and 4 old out houses" (*44d.)." ;NOTE: At this point in time, the entire tract is in an unaltered state; and, the existing buildings are described. THIS IS the state of Rockville Center at this time. In 1783 on the 13th of April [per 'Scharf Papers'] (*61.) this must be the same house [the 2 story courthouse] in which 'The glorious event of peace and independance was celebrated...' The 'Scharf Papers' also claimed this tract was part of Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged... part of which forms Rockville Center. Those historians in the past who seemed most apt to follow the records, came to the conclusion that this remodelled Williams 'courthouse' may have still been in use as late as 1840 [Scharf] (*61.). In 1784, Thomas Owen Williams & Family [this included brothers Elisha Owen Williams, William Prather Williams, & Edward Owen Williams] prepared, set out, 'to cash in' on the new county formation; by laying-out this 200A plot of 'prime real-estate' into lots for a town called "Williamsburg"; and, so it was until an Act of Assembly [1801-1802] required a new survey, and name change to Rockville [the original surveyor did not properly record his surveys... his death prompted lot owners to petition the 'Assembly' for help] (*33.). Contrary to the accounts which say T.O. Williams was hired to remodel the courthouse; Thomas Owen Williams PROPOSED to remodel a building he owned "...To Have the house they sit in..." made into a state of the art 'courthouse'; as, he intended to be the Montgomery County's LANDLORD after three years free rent. He could gain much more than 'lease money' from a tavern or an INN. He intended i.e. to 'cash in on Lotts', as the town built-up around the center of government... this 'build-up' was a 'given'. This is exactly the 'modus operandae' of the grandfather for whom he was named!
Propping-up the story of the paragraph above: Here is more of what the records DO say. As early as 1714, a man named Arthur Nellson begins to survey and certify the land mass that will become known as Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged. The survey was submitted 20 December 1721; finally, Patent #791 was issued 05 November 1735 for 1,620A. (*39).
*On 25 June 1739, Alexander Barrett bought a 200A part or tract of this patent #791, called "Young Mans Delight" from Arthur Nellson; the same is recorded 29 August 1739 (*40.).
**On the 28th day of February, and recorded 29 February 1753, Alexander Barrett for 10,000 #'s cash tobacco, sells this land to Daniel Carroll; Barrett's wife Elizabeth acknowledging same (*41.).
***Almost eleven years pass, and we find an indenture recorded on 21 December 1763, where Daniel Carroll Merchant sells to Thomas Davis Innholder for 110-0-0 Sterling of G.B., the same "Young Mans Delight of 200A (*42.). AHAH! So that's where the tavern, the 1-1/2 story house came from! [This is one of the 3 houses, near the 'courthouse', all listed in the 1783 assessment]. Thomas Davis is evidently leasing this land, already... I find (my only such find) Thomas Davis applies for a tavern lisence in Frederick County, Grand Jury August Court, 1762 (*50.); HOWEVER,
****Thomas Davis also, immeadiately following, records, 21 December 1763, a deed to Daniel Dulany for 130-13-0 [a loan/mortgage deal made 20 December 1753] (*42.).
*****In 1766, on the 20th May, friend William Willams steps up and purchases from Thomas Davis, @ 43-5-0 Sterling, "Young Mans Delight" 200A., and @ same time pays-off Dan Dulany in the amount of 130-13-4 Sterling (*42a.). This author believes this land has had an Tavern on it for some time; and, that if Thomas Davis continues to operate this tavern, he leases it. NOW, the history accounts say, ~8 years later, Hungerford has taken over proprietorship; by 1777 Court, Leonaed Davis is proprietor. Many histories say that Leonard Davis took over Hungerford's House after 1775; note, it was still called Hungerford's House at the 1776 Covention meeting that divided the County. Histories say, that the Willson family owned the land and had originally built the place where Leonard Davis would operate tavern; but, I find no room in the records [above] for Willson family ownership of 'Young Mans Delight'. [i.e. historian R. B. Farquhar, 1952]. The only time period I do see, that the Willson family might have accomplished the tavern construction; IF, while leasing from Daniel Carroll, was the 1753-1762 time period, before, or at the onset of Thomas Davis beginning his lease/purchase of the tavern. Perhaps the construction of the first 'Gaol', which Leonard Davis was commissioned to build , has these historians confused? Most assuredly, Hungerford's and Davis's were one and the same. It's not correct for anyone to state that Davis operated a 1-1/2 story tavern while Thomas Owen Williams remodelled it into a 2 story 'courthouse'. I just can't buy it, when the 1783 assessment describes a 'courthouse' and other buildings that fit the tavern scenario as well; and, later Williamsburg land deed records, as well as a newsprint ad by Davis (*58.) describe the tavern as being on Lot #19, near the Thomas Owen Williams 'courthouse' location. Also, mis-stated, that Leonard Davis operated Tavern in this house until 1791; the house where court met 1777-1779. This  being the date some say, he gave the property back to his grandfather Joseph Willson, because of un-paid debts. He actually turned the tavern over to Joseph Willson, his co-signer, shortly after he had arranged to purchase the Tavern and lot [just AFTER 1784]; plus, adjacent lots from the Williams family [no DEED recorded, as, the property deal was not paid in FULL]. Davis never paid up; Joseph Willson did try to get that accomplished. [Fact is: Leonard Davis still had the bond of conveyance to what-ever property he had tavern on, in his hands, in 1796, in Berkley County, Virginia. That's when/where William Worthington, estate administrator for Joseph Willson estate, caught up with Leonard]. Leonard Davis, even then, was on a farm Joseph Willson's estate owned. Davis, also, still possessed personal effects and chattels he had mortgaged to Joseph Willson a decade earlier: 05 May 1786. William Prather Williams sold lot #19 and this tavern, again, in 1808 to Brice Selby. The 1820 assessment lists NO WILLIAMS as an owner of property in Williamsburg proper; the end, of a 36 year, era. [There was a grandson, of Thomas Owen Williams, on a farm just outside of city limits]. (*56.)(*57.)(*58.)(*59.).
Some histories say that in 1787-8 a BRICK, TWO-STORY courthouse was built on 2-7/8A square of land? There is only given ONE SECONDARY source for this statement; a travel logue [belonged to Joseph Scott]. Perhaps this man was remembering the very large, two story, brick Tavern on a corner lot adjacent to the courthouse square? OR, remember that Thomas Owen Williams had filled in the lower floors of his 'courthouse' with BRICK... Also, a 'carpenter', Francis Kidwell is named by Scharf (*61.); but, no record is shown that he built a Brick Courthouse. For that matter, was this carpenter repairing/improving the 'courthouse' Thomas had remodelled? Courthouse improvements; [1781: a juror's bench and a rail to prevent bench crowding; 1790: Two 'rooms' to be finished out , one for records and papers of the court, and one for wills; 1807: New roof, new chairs; 1810: New bar and clerks table, paint and whitewash inside of courthouse]; Chimney repairs, an out building for the clerk and his Deed Records storage, etc.. There IS no primary source record found to show any 1787-8 BRICK COURTHOUSE, found by this author: to date. This 2-7/8 acre square of land, a courthouse square, per the RECORDS, was ordered 'surveyed' 1787; [after land 'Grantors' were paid] the deed was recorded, 29 April 1812. Montgomery County and the State of Maryland take a deed from parts of: the William Williams's estate ["Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged"], Jeremiah Crabb ["Valentines Garden"], and parts of a street, & parts of lots from the 4 owners of five individual lots in Williamsburg... Edward Harding #35 [purchase recorded 2 July 1788]; Major William Beall #36 & #37; William Magrath #38; John Summers #39. All describe the original location of Thomas Owen William's 'courthouse', plus land East, to create a 'Square'.These were taken for a NEW Courthouse Site: 2-7/8A SQUARE. [My 4th great-grandfather, Edward Owen (son of Major Robert Owen), is listed as an appraiser/justice, in that deed]! SEE THIS SOURCE: (*54.). For sure, the records cited above show Thomas Owen Williams' 'courthouse' was on this land; and, this land is, where later, the 1841 Courthouse was built.
We need to note: during the 1713-1721 time period, Arthur Nellson was, also, assembling the large land mass known & patented [P.G's. Co. Patent certificate #2221, 17 June 1720 950A (*45.)] as 'Valentine's Garden'. (Arthur's wife's name was Valentine). Both of the land masses, 'Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged' and 'Valentine's Garden', are represented today by the Rockville Greater Metropolan Area. "Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged" represent the original town center [in the smaller tract named 'Young Mans Delight']. The 1st addition to Rockville was land from 'Valentine's Garden'; and, this is the land mentioned in the will of Henry Wright Crabb (*47.). The same 150A willed to William Williams; and, passed to his heirs after his 1769 death. This is the land [somewhat East of the 'courthouse'] where "Owen's Ordinary" was located and operated; an intersection of the Monocacy to Badensburg Road and the Georgetown to Frederick Road; and, your author believes Lawrence Owen leased this location. Owen's Ordinary was located 8 miles from the 'Great Falls'; and, "...the road from Rockville to the 'Great Falls' also passed through the same tract [@ western boundry] (*49.); and, that road was, also, adjacent to the courthouse 'square', on the Eastside boundry of 'Exchnge and New Exchange Enlarged' where 'Valentine's Garden' lies adjacent. The 2nd addition to Rockville included 'Haymond's Addition' [surveyed to John Haymond, 10 November 1743, for 300A (*52.)]; and, 'Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged' as represented by the part, or tract, called 'Spittle Fields'. These properties were acquirred by Thomas Owen, Gentleman from Kenedy Farrell (*17.); inherited by Barbara OWEN Williams; and finally inherited by Thomas Owen Williams exec. and heirs. This 2nd addition lay in the "...vicinity of the Metropolitan Railroad Depot and the Agricultural Fair Ground." (*49.). 'Valentine's Garden' was located EAST and a bit to North-East of 'Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged'; the road from the town later named 'Rockville', to Fredericktown, passed through this large 'Valentine's Garden' tract; Resurveyed for Henry Wright Crabb, 10 April 1753 for 2,085A (*46.).
November 9, 1784. That's the date we find a record being recorded; where, Thomas Owen Williams, Elisha Owen Williams, & Edward Owen Williams, for 5 pound Sterling sign over 200 acres of Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged to their brother, William Prather Williams. A comparison of the land description, is the same, as the 1753 deed to Thomas Davis for a part of Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged called 'Young Mans Delight'. This land was called out for William Prather Williams in his father's will; but division of properties did not occur until after Edward Owen Williams reached age 21, ~1784. There were, later times when Thomas, or Elisha, for example, 'buy' back a lot, or a few, for a 'song'; but, primarily William Prather Williams is the owner [after 1784], and main salesman, of the lots in Williamsburg (*55.). These 'buy-backs' represent his father's directions in his will to William Prather Williams; to pay, his other three eldest brothers a share... William Prather Williams to own the acerage. Walter Caid Williams was not mentioned in his father's will... I beleive he wasn't yet born, when the will was written. Elder brother Thomas Owen Williams does make sure he gets a share of Williams land/wealth, especially after his mother's death. Eleanor M. V. COOK clearly explains the reasons, dealings and care with which Thomas Owen Williams managed, administered and alloted some of the inherited lands to his younger brothers. She uses PRIMARY source, too... (*58.)
Here is the 'cream of the crop' in primary source. It's not the book that tells the story; published 1947; author: Mrs. Effie G. Bowie; Across the Years in Prince George's County; but, it is the stones that are the primary source. The book tells about a Williams/Berry Family Cemetery, formerly located at "Seat Pleasant" estate of the Williams/Berry family, near Addison Chapel on Central Avenue... (*35.). Stone #1. Martha Clagett, b. December 22, 1759; d. September 10, 1830; [nee Martha Williams, wife of Walter Clagett]. #2. Sacred to the memory of Mary Clagett Williams, b. August 24, 1746; d. March 1811; [nee Mary Clagett Berry, wife of Thomas Owen Williams]. #3. Maj. Thomas Owen Williams, b. February 21, 1748; d. October 21, 1818. #4. William Prather Williams, b. April 29, 1754; d. April 11, 1811. #5. Mrs. Mary Berry, consort of Thomas Berry, b. November 8, 1780; d. December 9, 1857; [nee Mary Williams, the daughter of Major Thomas Owen and Mary Clagett Berry WILLIAMS; "Seat Pleasant" was devised to this Mary Berry's husband: Thomas Berry, by her father, Major Thomas Owen Williams]. #6 a broken/eroded stone appears to be the stone of Major Thomas Owen and Mary Clagett Berry WILLIAMS's son, Thomas Jr. [1776-1810]. In 1969, these stones [most of them, anyway], were moved by present day family members to save them from the 'bull-dozer'. (*36.)(*37.)(*38.)
We have many more sources for above statements to install... this is all, primary source. We are working at it steadily...
(*24b.) National Archives; Revolutionary War Pension Claim W26019.
(*26.) Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records, Liber T, pages 673 & 674; Thomas & Eleanor Williams to George Murdock minister and others listed [the vestry], 2 Acres part of 'Mill Land' granted/given, etc.
(*27.) Maryland State Archives, Land Office Records concerning Prince George's County, Maryland, Liber No. B, folio 5, Patent #1464.
(*28.) Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records, 10 April 1734, recorded 15 April 1734, Liber T, folios 109-111.<
(*29.) Maryland state Archives, Land Office Patent Record NS B page 14; Patent Record 22, page 20.
(*30.) Maryland State Archives, Land Office Land Records C, page 206A.
(*31.) Chancery Papers 4536 recorded Liber 56, folio 585 ; Maryland State Archives Land Office records: Division Plats 2, page 13 .
(*32.) Archives of Maryland, Volume 545, page 111 [includes more sources].
(*33.) Archives of Maryland, Volume 545, page 113 [includes more sources].
(*35.) Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records, 21 June 1777, recorded for Thomas Owen Williams on 19 July 1777, "Seat Pleasant" purchased from Thomas Gantt, Liber CC-2, pages 366-368.
(*36.) Across the Years in Prince George's County, Mrs. Effie G. Bowie, 1947, pages 52,60, & 65.
(*37.) Will of Eleanor Hilleary Williams DAVIS, March 24, 1812.
(*38.) Will of Mary BERRY, October 15, 1792, names Thomas Owen and Mary Clagett Berry WILLIAMS; this Mary Clagett Berry WILLIAMS being the daughter of Jeremiah and Mary Clagett BERRY.
(*39.) Maryland State Archives, S 1203-863; Nellson, Arthur; The Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged, 1620A, Patent Certificate #791, 05 November 1735.
(*40.) Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records, indenture made 25 June 1739, recorded 29 August 1739, Liber Y, folios 76 & 77, Arthur Nellson to Alexander Barrett, 200A 'Young Mans Delight', part of Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged.
(*41.) Frederick County, Maryland Land Records; indenture made 28 February 1753, recorded 29 February 1753, Liber E, folios 99, 100, 101, 102, Alexander Barrett to Daniel Carroll, 200A 'Young Mans Delight'.
(*42.) Archives of Maryland, Volume 703, Provincial Court Records, pages 173, 174, 175, 176, 177. Daniel Carroll to Thomas Davis, 200A 'Young Mans Delight'... Thomas Davis [a mortgage] to Daniel Dullany, 200A. 'Young Mans Delight'.
(*42a.) Provincial Court Land Records 1765-1770, [Liber DD-4], found in the Maryland State Archives Volume 725, pages 89, 90, 91; Thomas Davis and Daniel Dullany to William Williams, Deed and Mortgage Released, 200A, 'Young Mans Delight', part of 'Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged'.
(*43.) On-line: History of Rockville Cemetery; http://www.rockvillemd.gov/government/commissions/hdc/histories/Rockcemetery.pdf
(*44.) Maryland State Archives, S 1161-8-1.
(*44c.) Maryland State Archives, S 1161-8-4.
(*44d.) Maryland State Archives, S 1161-8-5; Thomas owen Williams, pg. 8, Old Mill Land, 216A; pg. 14, Young Mans Delight, 200A.
(*45.) Maryland State Archives, S 1203-2316; S 1596-4430; S 1596-4431.
(*46.) The History of Montgomery County, Maryland, from its Earliest Settlement in 1650 to 1879 ... by T.H.S. Boyd, Clarksburg, Montgomery County, Maryland, 1879.
(*48.) Prince George's County, Maryland Land Records, indenture made 25 June 1739, recorded 29 August 1739; Liber Y, folios 76 & 77; Arthur Nellson to Alexander Barrett, 200A. Young Mans Delight.
(*49.) Frederick County, Maryland Wills; written 27 April 1767; probate 22 March 1769.
(*50.) This Was the Life, Excerpts from the Judgement Records of Frederick County, Maryland, 1748-1765, by Millard MilburnRice; pg.238, tavern lisence application, Grand Jury, August Court 1762.
(*51.) Maryland State Archives, S 1161-8-5; pg. 13; Joseph Willson, Two brothers, 272A, 1783 Assessment, Upper Newfoundland & Seneca Hundred.
(*52.) Maryland State Archives, S 1203-1119, pgs. 1-5; John Haymond from [Richard Snowden] 300A Haymonds Addition, Survey 09 April 1733, Patent Certificate # 1048, 10 June 1734, recorded Liber A.M. No.1, folio 383.
(*53.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber B folios 285,286,287; To: William Prather Williams from Thomas Owen Williams, Elisha Owen Williams, Edward Owen Williams, 200A, Exchange and New Exchange Enlarged matching description in source note (*42.)['Young Mans Delight'] above for 5# Sterling. Wives Mary Williams [Mrs. Thomas Owen Williams] and Harriet Williams [Mrs. Elisha Owen Williams] both acknowledge. 03 March 1785, Mrs. barbary Williams acknowledges.
(*54.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber P, folios 591,592.
(*55.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber B, folios 285,286,287.
(*56.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber C, folios 339 & 340.
(*57.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber F-6, folios 269,270,271.
(*58.) A New Look At Early Rockville and It's People; Eleanor M. V. COOK.
(*59.) Montgomery County Land Records, Liber O, folios 83,84; Williamsburg Lot #19 from William Prather Williams to Brice Selby for $1,000.00 current U.S..
(*60.) per McGuckian: March 1783 Montgomery County Court Minute Book... MSA
(*61.) History of Western Maryland, Volume I, page 740, by Scharf.
(*62.) Prince George's County Land Records, Liber AB, folios 480-484.
(*63.) The Washington Law Reporter, 1900, Richard A. Ford, Editor; page 123. Legal Notices.
Here are some of my favorite websites:
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids