Search billions of records on

Evening Post 8th August 1877


The ship Queen Bee, from London to Nelson, struck Farewell Spit at midnight on Monday. The second mate left the ship the wreck, and has arrived at Motueka. He brought intelligence that there was 10 feet of water in the hold, and requested assistance at once. The steamers Lyttelton and Lady Barkly proceeded to the scene of the wreck last night, to render assistance and remove the passengers. It is thought here there is little chance of saving the ship or cargo. It is anticipated the passengers would be landed at the Spit, to await the arrival of assistance. The Queen Bee left London on the 20th April, with a large and valuable cargo for Nelson. One family on board paid 500 passage money. The steamers have not yet returned. The weather is beautifully fine - no wind.


Last night Edwards and Co., received the following telegram from Motueka: - "The ship Queen Bee struck Farewell Spit last night; there was ten feet of water in the hold when we left. Send assistance immediately. No further particulars yet known." The steamers Lyttelton and Lady Barkly were at once despatched to her assistance. The Queen Be has 30 passengers and a large cargo for here.


Where the Queen Bee struck is six to eight miles southwest of the light. When the mate left the ship, preparations were being made to land the passengers.
The weather looks threatening.
There are no signs of the steamers returning.


The Queen Bee is a wooden ship of 726 tons register. She was under charter to Messrs Shaw, Savill & Co., and has made several voyages to and from New Zealand. She visited Wellington in 1874, and Lyttelton in the following year, and was known as a comfortable sea boat, although a somewhat dull sailer when compared with the many fast clippers belonging to the same line. The Queen Bee left London as stated in the above telegram on 20th April, but she was at anchor for a day or two in the Thames and off Deal, and did not finally clear the Downs until the 24th April, her passage out thus has occupied 106 days. We have been unable to learn her insurances.

Messrs Bethune and Hunter, as Lloyd's agents in Wellington, received a telegram this afternoon announcing the fact of the wreck, but giving no additional particulars.