|Second Cabin Passengers|
|von Dadelszen||Mr Edward|
|Minnie||Twins born September 16th 1841|
|Intermediate & Steerage Passengers|
|Edward VON DADELSZEN:
Edward was born abt 1803 in Hamburg, Germany and was supposed to have sailed on the "Red Jacket" for NZ, along with his six surviving children after his wife (Mary Jane nee Evans) died in 1858. The von Dadelszen children by the Red Jacket were:
1) Minnie (probably Eliza Marianne) was born September 16th 1841 in Liverpool, Lancashire. She married Edward William Saunders in Auckland on August 20th 1862 but later she returned to England with her family and died in Dec 1906 at Ealing, Middlesex.
2) Jane Ellen was born September 16th 1841 in Liverpool, Lancashire and was a twin to Eliza. She married John Harrocks Booker in Auckland on 10 Jan 1861. She and her family returned to England where she died in Liverpool onJune 29th 1907.
3) Rose married Major Thomas McDonnell in Auckland on April 16th 1866. Major McDonnell was a public servant, writer and military leader rising ultimately to Lt-Colonel and was awarded the New Zealand Cross on March 31st 1886. Rose, however, became ill in mid 1868 and died on March 7th 1869.
4) Caroline Edith was born in Liverpool, Lancashire on September 23rd 1851 and died on May 23rd 1927.
5) John was really Edward John von Dadelszen, but was known as John. He was born on 6 May 1845 at Wavertree, Liverpool, Lancashire. He attended Oxford University, passing his exams in 1859. He became a printer, public administrator and statistician. It is partly due to his work that New Zealand has such extensive and accurate statistical records. He married Alice Sarah Louise Lotze in Sydney, Australia on 17 November 1876 and had four children (Harold, Hilda, Brenda and Thyra). He died in Wellington on 28 May 1922. If you have a connection with this family or would like to know more please contact Monica Foggin.
Copyright Denise & Peter
2004 - 2008
The Southern Cross May 18th 1860