Ship: 506 tons
Captain: William Wilson
Surgeon Superintendent: Dr J. Fitzgerald
Sailed London 15th Sept 1839 - arrived Port Nicholson 31st Jan 1840
First ship to sail from London, and
second to reach Port Nicholson, was the Oriental, 506 tons, Captain William Wilson, by
which 155 people came out, 62 being males and 93 females. Among the prominent passengers
may be mentioned the Hon. Henry Petre (son of Lord Petrie), Major Hormbrook, Mr
Francis Molesworth (brother of Sir William Molesworth, Bart.), Mr George Duppa, Mr W. B.
D. Mantell (son of Dr Gideon Mantell, an eminent geologist) and Mr Dudley Sinclair (son of
Sir George Sinclair, Bart., M. P.). Sailing from Gravesend on September 15th and Deal six
days later, she called at the Island of Santiago, Cape Verde Group, and that was the last
land seen until on January 22nd she entered Port Hardy, that being the day the Aurora
reached Port Nicholson. Some natives seen here advised them there was a pakeha on the
island, and they set of in their canoes to fetch him, spreading their blankets for sails.
The man was Maclaren, the whaler, who brought a letter left by Colonel Wakefield ordering
the ship to Port Nicholson. The wind blowing strong into the harbour , it was three days
before the Oriental got out, and even then she just escaped going ashore on the rocks
called Nelson's Monument. It was not until the 29th the the ship was off Port Nicholson,
and then the wind failed, Captain Wilson was a good deal perplexed by the long line of
rocks that runs right out from Sinclair Head, and next day he sent the mate away in the
cutter to investigate. Of course the mate soon discovered the entrance, but there was no
wind, the weather was thick, and there was a strong ebb tide, so the anchor was dropped.
The following morning Colonel Wakefield came out in a ships boat, bring with him a pilot.
Though there was a head wind, the Oriental beat into harbour, and at 6p.m. on January 31st
she dropped anchor off Somes Island, receiving a salute of guns from the Cuba and the
Aurora. Then began the work of embarking. For a few days the weather was
rough, but on the 3rd February, a fine spell set in. It was decided to settle the new
arrivals on the banks of the Hutt river, about a mile up from the mouth. On the 5th the
disembarkation started in real earnest.The ship's boat's were used to take the heavy stuff
up the river, but the bulk of the passengers tramped to their new home, over a
roughly-made track, carrying in their hands or on their backs such light things as they
could manage. By the 15th of the month all the cabin passengers, who had until then lived
aboard, moved ashore, and by March 6th the last of the cargo was out.
White Wings Sir Henry Brett
|Grimm||Mary Ann||15||Daughter of Martha Lewis|
|Katherine||Born at sea|
Solomon and Benjamin Levy were brothers who travelled to Wellington on this voyage of Oriental. An elder brother, Samuel, was to have made the voyage but gave his place to Benjamin. Benjamin married Ester Solomon in Wellington in 1842. Esther had arrived on board the Birman. Also on the Birman was Jane Harvey who married Solomon Levy. If you have a connection to this family contact Clyde Hurrell at CLYDEH@xtra.co.nz
David LEWIS [born 1803], occupation clerk, wife Martha Lewis, née MASTERS. They brought Marthas daughter, Mary Ann GRIMM with them. In 1848, Mary Ann married William Nicholas LUXFORD, who had arrived in Wellington on the Adelaide in 1840. Family originally from London, England. David Lewis was educated at Lampeter College with a view to his entering the Anglican Church but became attracted to the teachings of John WESLEY and instead became a lay member of the Wesleyan Church, while working in London as a hatter. After they settled in Wellington, they became resident in firstly Karori Road and later, by 1845, in Tinakori Road in Wellington. David first intended to go into business with George DUPPA, the emigration agent and member of the management committee of the New Zealand Company, who had recommended him and who travelled with David on the Oriental. George DUPPA decided, however, to relocate to Auckland but recommended David LEWIS to Colonel WAKEFIELD, who employed David, first working as a clerk and then later as a Commissioner of Crown Lands. David was appointed a magistrate in the Province of Wellington in 1866, and in 1868 was appointed a Justice of the Peace. David Lewis died in Wellington in 1892, and was buried in the Karori Cemetery, Wellington. If you have a connection with this family or require more information please contact Michael Butler.
Copyright Denise & Peter 1999, 2000, 2001
Archives New Zealand
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids