Countess of Kintore
The Countess was described as an
Aberdeen clipper, built in 1866 by Duthie. She came out to the several ports under charter
to the Shaw, Savill Co., and, as will be seen from her records, made some fast passages
for a vessel of 700 tons. Keen efforts were being made in those days to acclimatise
European birds in New Zealand, and several shipments were entrusted to the care of Captain
Petherbridge (a well known Captian of the Countess), who took a personal interest in the
matter. In 1870 he brought out in the Countess of Kintore 50 rooks, which were landed at
Auckland in splendid condition. In 1876 thirteen salmon were brought out to Lyttelton by
the Countess, which was then in command of Captain Norie.
White Wings - Sir Henry Brett
Our sincere thanks to Bruce Goodman for this passenger list.
|Mackenzie||Rev P C|
Copyright Denise & Peter 2004
The Daily Southern Cross September 27th 1871