Search billions of records on

New Zealand Herald September 30th 1881

Messrs Shaw Savill and Co's ship Zealandia arrived from London yesterday afternoon, 93 days from port to port, or 86 days from land to land. The Zealandia visited Auckland some years ago, Captain Sellars being then in command. But his connection with this port extends back much further. He will be remembered by old Aucklanders as being in the Bombay, also as having commanded for some time the Ida Zeigler, a vessel which perhaps mede the more uniformly rapid voyages between here and London than any other before or since. All of the passengers, of whom there is one more than originally booked, are well. Captain Sellars kindly supplies the following interesting account of the voyage:- Removed from bouy at Gravesend on June 5th, and proceeded in tow of tug; 28th, made sail and cast off tug; wind N W, favourable, turning down Channel; 30th landed Pilot off Torbay at 7 am; noon, abreast of Paul Point, turning down Channel; wind W N W, steady; July 1st, Lizard Point, N N W, distant 15 miles, from which we take departure; from the above date, wind still being from the westward, till the 4thin lat. 46.55 N., 9.38 W.; then we had the wind veering from S to N N W; thence had light N E and N W wind unitedly until we got the trades in lat 30.5, long 22.27 N. On the 12th July they proved light and unsteady, and were lost on the 19th in lat 12.44 S, long29.49 W; then we got usual southerly winds, through which we made fair progress. 26th, got the S E trades in lat 3.2 N, long 18.23 W. They proved very good first part - larrer, very poor and unsteady, August 3rd, sighted the island if Trinidad to the westward. 5th, lost the S E trades, 28.7 S, 27.51 W. From thence had light variable winds from round compass, making poor progress. From 7th to 11th, had easterly and northerly winds. 12th, north-westerly winds then commenced, when we made fair progress, the weather throughout continuing very fine. September 6, had a very heavy southerly gale, which shifted suddenly to the S W; during this time the ship took a great deal of water on board, damaged starboard quarter boat and pot skid boat, broke both starboards and port davits, and sundry other damages, and a great deal of water got down below. From there till reaching Tasmania we had fine weather and moderate winds. Passed Tasmania without seeing it, in a breeze,