Search billions of records on

The Wellington Independent July 5th 1866

Arrived July 3rd, 1866 - Weymouth, ship, 830 tons, Norris, from London.

The clipper ship Weymouth, Captain Norris, from London, arrived in this harbour on Tuesday last, after a quick passage of 93 days. She left the Downs on the1st of April, with a fair wind, which continued until she was abreast of the Island of Madeira. Crossed the line on the 28th of April, and ran down to 49 deg. south. In lat. 2 deg. 5 min north, long. 28 deg. 58 min. west, spoke the ship Virginia, of bath, bound to Rio de Janario, 34 days out from Liverpool. On the 8th day of May, a seaman, named Andrew martin, fell from the flying-jibboom into the sea, and was unfortunately drowned. The ship was immediately hove-to, the life-boat lowered, and not-withstanding there was a heavy on at the time, and the night was very dark, every exertion was made to recover the missing man; but after a fruitless search of an hour and a half she proceeded on her voyage. She sighted the Otago Heads on the 24th June; but in consequence of contrary winds was unable to make this port until the 2nd July. Experienced very heavy weather from the Cape, with high seas, and sustained some damage. Three of her boats were completely smashed, nearly all her port railing carried away, as well as her main tip-gallant yard, and her sky-lights considerably damaged. She brings 48 passengers, who have all arrived in good health, and speak in high terms of the kindness of Captain Norris, and his officers, during the voyage. When the vessel dropped anchor, the passengers assembled on the poop, and gave Captain Norris three hearty cheers. One birth occurred on board during the voyage, a passenger of the name of Mrs Norris [sic] having been safely delivered of a son. The Weymouth is an iron clipper built ship, she brings a large cargo of assorted merchandise, and is consigned to Messrs. Johnston & Co. She has brought the submarine cable for Cook Strait. 20 sheep were put on board previous to leaving London, but seven died on the passage.