Search billions of records on

The New Zealander January 30th 1858

The barque Tamar, Capt J ROSS, which arrived in harbour on Thursday at 4 a.m., has made a better passage than any of the last three or four English ships preceding her, having accomplished the run from Gravesend, whence she took her departure on 11 October, in 108 days and from the Lizard which she left on 16th in 103 days.  The passage proved to be an agreeable one but destitute of incident.  She sighted Madeira; complains, like all the ships of the season, of having experienced very poor NE trades, although she had no calms.  She crossed the equator on 10 November being her 30th day out.  The SE trades proved to be very good.  On 15 December, being then off the Cape of Good Hope, she encountered heavy weather, the wind blowing hard from the north westward during that and the following day, splitting some of her sails and washing the life boat from her quarter.  The Tamar ran down her easting in the parallel of 48 deg S and saw no ice; indeed, in that high latitude she experienced finer and more settled weather than in the lower latitude of 40 deg S.    On 10 January she sighted the Mew Stone Rock on the S W Coast of Tasmania and in nine days after fetched the Three Kings where she fell in with heavy rain and strong winds veering from E to S E.  Fell in with a ship, supposed to be the British Lion bound for Melbourne, which vessel she spoke some days previously.  The Tamar has been baffled in her passage down the coast, off which she saw several whalers.  She was in sight from an early hour of Wednesday but was unable to reach it until Thursday morning.  One death, that of a child 18 months old, occurred during the passage, otherwise she has been perfectly healthy.  She  brings 98 passengers and among the number one of the oldest and most respected of our colonists, Mr OUTHWAITE, Registrar of the Supreme Court whom, with his family, we are happy to welcome back to their adopted home after their passing and agreeable sojourn in the land of their birth.  Our late Chief Justice MARTIN, we rejoice to learn, was quite restored to health and had decided on returning hither during the course of the present year.  His successor, Mr ARNEY, had taken his passage via Suez and was to have sailed on 12 October, the day after the departure of the Tamar.