Search billions of records on

Otago Daily Times May 10th 1878

A square-rigged standing in from the east-ward was telegraphed at 5:20 pm yesterday, and the tug Koputai at once proceeded out to the Heads to tender her assistance. At 7:20 pm the telegraphist at the Heads wired up that the stranger was the ship Strathblane from London. Owing to her draft of water, 22 feet 6 inches, she did not cross the bar till 8:pm, and was towed up to the anchorage off Mansford Bay at 9 pm. All being well on board she was promptly cleared in by the Customs officials, and the representative of the press boarded her for the necessary information for publication. The Strathblane is a smart-looking iron ship of 1363 tons register, and comes consigned to Messrs Dalgety, Nichols, and Co., Dunedin. She brings 22 passengers and no less that 2500 tons of cargo, of which about 1600 tons is dead weight, consisting principally of cement and iron, the rest is measurement goods. She is under the command of Captain Crawford, who was last here about four years since in command of the ship Janet Court. Captain Crawford reports leaving Gravesend on 4th February; experienced moderate westerly winds down the Channel; landed the pilot, and took her departure from Start Point on the 6th February; thence she experienced strong westerly winds till reaching latitude 41.23 N on February 17th, which were followed by variable winds from W N W to E N E which carried her into the North-east Trade Belt in latitude 36 N; On February 20th. She, however, did not experience and Trade winds to speak of, and after reaching latitude 28 N, had nothing but S E and easterly winds till reaching latitude 0.28 N; crossed the Equator on March 9th in longitude 27.6 W; carried light S E Trades to latitude 30.43 S, on March 31st; and thence experienced the usual variable winds from N W to N; crossed the meridian of Greenwich on March 29th in latitude 40 S; took the first of the westerlies on the same day, and reached the cape of Good Hope on April 3rd in latitude 39 S; thence she experienced moderate passage winds from N W to S W, and when abreast of the Mauritius the winds freshened up and blew hard from the S W, attended by very heavy seas; moderate weather ensued till she passed between St Paul's and Amsterdam Islands, when she encountered a few days of bad weather; crossed the meridian of cape Leuwin on April 25th, in latitude 46.39 S, and thence encountered a terrific gale, attended  by heavy seas, which several times broke on board, flooding the decks. She passed the island of Tasmania on May 1st, and thence had southerly winds from S E to S W right up to the land; passed the Snares, without sighting them, on the night of the 5th instant, and made her first landfall off Quota Point on the following day; passed the Nuggets at 7 pm on the same day, and thence experienced northerly winds along the coast; made Cape Saunders at 2 pm on the 8th instant, and stood off the land till yesterday morning; ran in again and made the Roads at 5 pm. Owing to the state of the tide she did not cross the bar till 8 pm, and was towed up as above, having made the passage in 94 days from port to port, and 88 days from land to land. The easting was run down in the parallel of 45.30 S latitude.