Search billions of records on

The Hawkes Bay Herald December 19th 1865

The clipper ship Strathallan, Captain Paddle, arrived on Sunday at noon, after a somewhat lengthy passage of 109 days from Gravesend owing to fine weather and calms experienced on the passage. The Strathallan left Gravesend on the 30th August, and passed the Scilly Islands on 6th Sept. After leaving the channel experienced a long continuance of light winds and calms; the weather exceedingly fine, and nor-east trades of very short duration. Passed Madeira on the 20th and, on the 28th, in lat 12o north, lost the nor-east trades. Had a tedious voyage thence to the equator, having had long continued calms and squalls, as well as heavy thunder, vivid lightening and torrents of rain. The passage to the equator occupied, from these causes, 43 days; two voyages ago the ship ran the same distance in 22. However, Capt. Paddle had the satisfaction of knowing that his was not the only ship that had been unfortunate in weather, In lat 3o north signalled the Boston clipper Chariot of Fame which left two days before the Strathallan, as well as other ships, long out. Got the S E trades on the equator, hanging to southward, and lost them in the tropic of Capricorn, long 33o 20' W. Crossed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope on the 5th Nov., in lat 41o 10' south. In running down the easting, experienced several very heavy snow squalls, the weather exceedingly cold. On the 13th, in lat 44o 50' south, long 54o 3' east, the water was much discoloured alongside a day. On the 15th, passed within 145 miles of Keruguelen Land, from which time seaweed was seen almost every day till arrival here. On the 30th rounded Tasmania to the southward; and on the 6th December at daylight, sighted the Snares. From the Snares to Banks' Peninsula the ship had a dead beat against strong N E winds, frequently blowing a gale. On the 7th was off the south end of Stewart's Island; on the 8th, was off Nugget Point, Middle Island; and on the 9th was beating up the coast. On the 10th at noon, was abreast of Cook's Saddle Mountain and had a splendid view of the land and city of Dunedin as the ship stood close in shore. Tacked off; and, after fetching around Cape Saunders, at 2.30pm passed Otago harbour, and exchanged numbers with the Rangatira, coming out of the harbour and steering N E [Strange enough, the Captain of the Rangatira does not seem to have thought it necessary to report the occurrence]. At 9 pm tacked close to Jones' Head and saw Tairoa Head light bearing S W., distant 18 miles. 11th, wind still N E, and ship beating to windward. On the 12th, at 6 pm, stood within eight miles of Timaru and sounded in 11 fathoms - a brig lying at anchor there. On the 13th, at 7 pm, Banks' Peninsula bearing N by W W, distant 20 miles, a squall came off the land from the S W with hail, thunder and lightening - the first fair wind for some time. Unfortunately it only continued six hours, after which the ship had again to work up the coast against nor-easterly winds. Rounded Cape Kidnappers at noon on Sunday the 17th, and came up the bay with a strong nor-east breeze, sailing at the rate of 12 knots, and presenting a very fine sight. Fired a gun off the Bluff at 1 pm, and dropped anchor soon after. The passage throughout, although long for a ship of the Strathallan's build and trim, has been a pleasant one, the weather having been exceedingly fine. The passengers have all been well during the passage, and were landed yesterday in good health, and well satisfied with the ship and their treatment on board.

The following ships were spoken during the passage: -
Our note - All foreign-bound vessels

We have much pleasure in welcoming Captain Paddle back to Napier, and hope he will have a rapid discharge and quick despatch home.

We are sorry to learn that, on the night of the ship's arrival, the third officer and two seamen made off with the life boat, with oars and sails; also with the ship's compass, taken from the binnacle, and a quantity of provisions.