Search billions of records on

Otago Daily Times January 5th 1878

A barque was seen standing in from the southward at 1 pm yesterday, and when abreast of the harbour she backed her maintopsail in order to allow the pilot to board her. Steam was at once got up in the ps Koputai, which proceeded outside, and towed the stranger up to the Powder-ground in the teeth of a strong S W gale. She proved to be the barque Sarah Bell, from London, with 29 passengers and 1300 tons of cargo, under charter to the new Zealand Shipping Company. 200 tons of her cargo is dead weight, and the remainder measurement goods. In addition to this she brings 11 tons of powder, stowed in a properly constructed magazine. After discharging it, she will be shifted up the harbour. The Sarah Bell is a smart-looking iron vessel of 812 tons register, and was formerly ship-rigged. She is owned by Captain Fell, of Liverpool, and has principally traded to the Colonies; her last voyage was made to Wellington. We thank Captain Ditchburn for the following extract from his journal, relative to the passage out, which has been essentially a fine-weather one, and has almost been without any incident, save the death, on December 30th, of Mr James Arnott, aged 34 years, from heart disease and dropsy. The deceased gentleman was an old colonist returning to Otago after an absence in the Mother country. He was perfectly aware of his approaching death, and made testamentary arrangements, leaving all his affairs in the hands of Mr D Hood, of Woodhaugh, Water-of-Leith. The Sarah Bell left Gravesend on September 21st, and experienced northerly winds down the Channel. Took her departure from the Lizard on September 23rd, and carried favourable winds across the Bay of Biscay; passed in sight of the island of Madeira on the 2nd of October, and took the N E Trades on the 8th in latitude 30 N., longitude 19 W. The Trades were light and variable, and gave out in latitude 8 N., on October 21st. Thence she had a thirteen day spell of doldrum weather, which spoilt the passage, the Equator being crossed in longitude 29.40 W., on November 2nd; she took the S E Trades in latitude 3 S on November 3; had moderate trades, and lost them on the 9th in latitude 21.55 S; thence she experienced variable winds for a few days, and picked up the first of the steady westerlies on November 18th, in latitude 40 S, longitude 15 W; crossed the Meridian of Greenwich on November 23rd in latitude 41.25 S, and rounded the Cape of Good Hope on the 28th, in latitude 39 S; thence she had steady passage winds from N W to S W right across the Southern Ocean, falling in with an occasional breeze. Ran down the easting on parallels of 46 and 48 south latitude. Crossed the meridian of Cape Leuwin on the 19th of December, and passed the island of Tasmania on the 30th; thence she had N N E to N W winds up to the land, and sighted the Snares on the 3rd inst; ran up the coast with fresh W N W winds, and made the heads at noon yesterday. A large iceberg measuring about two miles in circumference was seen on December 19th in latitude 48.42 S., longitude 115.40 E. No vessels were spoken during the passage.