Search billions of records on

The Daily Southern Cross August 1st 1862

The 'Royal Charlie', Captain Escott, from London, anchored in the harbour yesterday morning, after a tedious passage of 140 days. She brings a cargo of general merchandize, and 85 passengers. 35 of these have been assisted, and consist principally of female domestic servants. The 'Royal Charlie' left the docks on the 14th March, and cleared the Channel by the 21st. Very heavy weather was experienced in the Bay of Biscay, and a succession of heavy gales continued to be experienced until reaching Madeira, the barometers being exceedingly low, and at one time descending to 29.20. The ship however behaved exceedingly well, neither straining nor carrying away anything, and shipping no water. A ship was passed in latitude 42 N., and 12 W., longitude, sailing under jury masts, and apparently steering for Lisbon. Another vessel was also seen without bowsprit; there was too much sea running however to speak to either. Neither the Canary, Cape, nor Verd islands were sighted. Crossed the line on the 28th April: and was detained about a fortnight by calms and light winds between the two trades. Struck the S E trades in 40 south: and in 4 S., signalled the barque 'Geelong', from London to Otago, 45 days out. From 280 down to 440 S., experienced a continuation of easterly and N E winds which much prolonged the passage. Rounded the cape of Good Hope with moderate weather on the 12th June, passing the meridian of the Cape in 430 S., lat. Favourable winds then set in, and the island of St Paul was sighted on the 3rd July. Entered Bass's Straits on the 21st on the 21st, passing through the next day. Sighted Cape Maria Van Diemen on Tuesday the 29th at 11:30; and came to anchor in Auckland harbour at 8 0'clock yesterday (Thursday) morning. An infant dies during the passage: there were no births. No sickness of any moment occurred to the other passengers.

A flattering testimonial signed by the passengers was presented to the Captain, on the arrival in the harbour, expressing the thanks of the passengers for the manner in which he had conducted himself towards them during their protracted voyage: also bearing testimony to his excellent seamanship. Mr Patrick, the first mate, was also complimented in the document.
       We subjoin a testimonial also presented to the Captain by Mr Poyser, the surgeon:-

                                                                                                        "Auckland Harbour, New Zealand.
                                                                                                                        July 30th, 1862.
       "My dear Sir,-Previous to my leaving the 'Royal Charlie', I must beg you to accept this simple memorial expressive of my entire satisfaction of everything on board, also for your extreme attention to my personal comfort during a long and irksome passage, doing everything in your power to render the time as agreeable as possible.
       " I also thank you for your assistance in maintaining order, &c., amongst the emigrants.
       " Wishing you a prosperous voyage home, I am, my dear sir, yours faithfully,
                                                                                                        "Samuel Poyser, Surgeon &c.
"Captain William Escott, 'Royal Charlie', Auckland, New Zealand."