Search billions of records on

Taken from the Evening Post, Tuesday October 8, 1878

The New Zealand Shipping Company's clipper Rakaia, Captain Metcalf, was signalled early this morning but in consequence of the N. W. wind blowing did not make the harbour until this afternoon. She left London on the 29th June and arrived at Plymouth on the 1st July, and having taken the immigrants on board, started for Wellington on the 6th of the same month, which gives her a passage of 98 days. Arrangements were made today, and the Government steamer Stella was sent out at 1: 30 this afternoon to tow her in.

We are glad to say the passengers were reported by signal to be all well. The immigrants consist of 280 souls, equal to 261 statute adults, made up as follows - Male adults 119, Female adults 125, Male children 17, Female children 17, Female infants 2.

The nationalities are as follows - English  99, Scotch 35, Irish 132, Welsh 5, Channel Islands 1, German 7, but of the total 280 souls, 88 equal to 76 statute adults are nominated by friends in the colony.

As the wind came up from the southward, on arrival of the ship the Stella's services were not required and the Rakaia sailed up to the anchorage at 3 p.m.

Taken from the Evening Post, Wednesday October 9 1878

A Seaman Drowned

The N.Z.S Co's fine ship Rakaia, Captain Metcalfe, which arrived in harbour yesterday, left Plymouth on 6th July, and experienced generally fine weather during the passage, excepting a gale which set in on the 6th September and carried away the jib-stay and foreyard, the foretop mast being badly sprung. Repairs had to be effected while the ship was running before heavy gales. The ship comes into port in admirable order - beautifully clean - and the voyage is described as having been a very pleasant one.

The only fatal mishap was the loss of a seaman named Taylor, who accidentally fell overboard and although Quartermaster Daley jumped after him he was unable to save him. A very efficient fire brigade was organised, and worked capitally.

Very complimentary testimonials were presented to the captain, doctor and cook. The immigrants numbering 300, were landed by the s.s. Moa today. They appear in excellent health and spirits and are a fine looking lot of people.


We learn that the ship Orari, Captain Mosey, will not load here for London, as at first arranged but proceeds to Lyttelton to load there. The Rakaia which arrived today, will there-fore be the New Zealand Companys first wool ship.


The steamer Glenelg to-day has been taking on the cable and anchors to be used in trying to get the ship Hydrabad off the Horowhenua beach. she will probably leave for the scene of operation this evening.


It is said that after the collision on board the two German ironclads, the water tight doors of the fore bulkhead on board the Kaiser Fredrich Wilheim were closed with such a want of fore thought that eight men, who had gone into the compartment to endeavour to stop the leak were shut in and drowned like kittens in a bag. Their fate was not out until after the ship had been docked at Portsmouth.


We (Manawatu Times) learned that the work of unloading the Hydrabad is progressing most satisfactorily. the manner in which the cargo is landed is as follows:- A wire rope is attached from the mast of the ship to a pole placed beyond high-water mark, and each article is fastened thereto and sent ashore, very much after the fashion on the working punt.


A seaman names John Boundry was charged before Dr Diver, J.P. and Mr J.H. Wallace J.P. at the Resident Magistrates Court this morning with deserting from the barque Annie Melhish. Prisoner pleaded guilty, but expressed his unwillingness to go on board, stating that he was ill. The Magistrates sentenced him to four weeks hard labor, the master to have the option of taking him out of prison when he was ready to proceed to sea.