Search billions of records on

The Daily Southern Cross September 21st 1863

The ship Owen Glendowner arrived in harbour on Saturday night, coming to an anchor about nine o'clock, after a passage from England of ninety-eight days. She left Plymouth on the 13th July, sighted Madeira on the 26th, at a distance of thirty six miles; passed outside the cape de Verde islands falling in with northerly weather in 38o N, and carried the trades to 10o N; crossed the equator on the 15th July, thirty-four days out, in long 25o W. No detention was experienced from calms. The south-east trades were light, and lasted to 23o S. Passed the meridian of the Cape in 38o 13' . Ran down the longitude with with fresh winds from N W to S W between the parallels of 38o to 44o S; rounding Tasmania on the 9th Sept., 70 miles S. Made the North Cape, on the New Zealand coast on the 17th, it blowing a heavy gale from the N W at the time, and took the pilot on board off the Wade on Saturday afternoon. She brings 130 passengers, amongst whom there were two deaths during the passage. Herbert Foley, aged twenty-three, cabin passenger, died of typhoid fever, and a child of five months old, Albert Higginson. There was one birth which took place on the 13th. On July 11th, during a heavy squall which carried away the jib-boom, the boatswain, who was out securing the wreck, fell overboard and was drowned; every effort was made to save him, but he was never seen to rise.

The following vessels were spoken with:- 17th July, Briton, of Wisboach, from Havre to Pondicherry; 21st July, a Sardinian brig, bound to Antwerp, sixteen days out from Buenos Ayres, by which letters were forwarded to England; 24th July, the ship Genii, from Liverpool to Calcutta, forty-six days out; 8th August, the Marquis of Argyle, sixty days out, bound to China.

The health of the passengers during the voyage has been very good, and general satisfaction appears to have been gien by the Captainand officers of the ship. Testimonials signed by all the passengers have been presented to Captain Norris and Mr H J Webber, the surgeon in charge, testifying to each the warm appreciation of the passengers of their services and kindness. The ship comes into port in a very clean and orderly condition.