Search billions of records on

The New Zealander September 29th 1858

Early yesterday morning a sail in sight was signalled and at 8 a.m. her number was made as the good ship Mary Ann, Capt Wm ASHBY, 112 days from the Downs and 109 days from the Lizard, having taken her departure from the former on 3rd and the latter on 6th June.  Notwithstanding that she experienced but light NE trade winds, she made an excellent run to the equator which she crossed in her 33rd day on 9 July.  The SE trades proved to be quite as light as the NE and for 7 days she lay becalmed off the Brazilian coast.  Sighted the island of Tristan d’Acunha on 2 August and on 8th of that month, off the Cape of Good Hope, encountered a hard gale of wind from SE with a heavy sea, during which the ship was hove-to for five and twenty hours under a storm main tray-sail, losing her mizen-top-mast and nearly all the square sails.  She ran down her easting experiencing strong breezes and heavy weather; her two best days work were in 48 deg S when she reeled off 318 and 298 knots each day.  Passed a top-mast with blocks and rigging, newly painted, apparently belonging to a large vessel.  Sighted the southern part of Tasmania on 12 inst., it then blowing a hard gale, with a tempestuous sea, from the SW – sprung the rails and started all the stanchions fore and aft.  Sighted the Three Kings at noon on Tuesday last.   The Mary Ann is a large roomy ship and brings 117 passengers, under the medical superintendence of Dr RAWSON, who has chosen NZ for the future home of himself and family, in sound health and strength.  No serous case of illness occurred during the passage and the conduct of the newcomers throughout, has been reported in the most satisfactory terms of commendation.   Saw nothing of either the Lord Ashley or Lord Worsley.  The last passage of the Mary Ann was a clipper one, having made the run from London to Melbourne with 300 emigrants, in 73 days and 9 hours.  She was employed as a trooper during the late Crimean war.  The following vessels were encountered during the passage – 30 June, spoke the schooner Accra from London to Cape Coast Castle, out 28 days; 8 July exchanged signals with ship Margaret Mitchell, from London to Sydney, out 43 days; 15 July exchanged numbers with the ship Lady Auckland for Ceylon with troops; 13 August spoke the ship North Star, 89 days from Bristol to Bombay.