Search billions of records on

Otago Witness October 31st 1874

The Jessie Readman was towed in by the Geelong on October 20th. We were pleased to welcome this fine ship and her popular commander, Captain Mitchell, and equally gratified to note the admirable condition she was in. She arrived a clean, tidy ship well appointed in every respect as a carrior of immigrants. Coming from London, her accommodation for married and single was of the highest class, according to the current goal, whilst the state of the compartments  reflected great credit upon the immigrants. Of the latter, she brought 329 souls, equal to 274 statute adults. They looked respectable and healthy, with but a very small proportion of elderly folk and they received a very good character from Captain Mitchell and Dr Gilmore, the surgeon-superintendent. Not the faintest symptom of infectious disease had appeared during the passage, and hence the surgeons duties were comparatively light. He had 25 cases of illness to combat with, the sufferers being children of tender years, and the complaints diarrhoea and bronchitis chiefly; 8 deaths and 3 births occurred. ... [Noted on the passenger list]...The Immigration Commissioners boarded the ship as usual, and we have to acknowledge the courtesy they displayed to the Press in objecting to the presence of the reporters whilst they were inspecting the immigrants quarters. We are at a loss to understand the motives that induced them to pursue sp peculiar a line of conduct, which, to say the least, savours of an indication to keep their  proceedings secret from the public. The Commissioners are to all intents and purposes, public servants and in that capacity should court rather than avoid publicity in their proceedings. This is, we believe, the first time that anything approaching obstructiveness on the part of the Commissioners has been displayed in their association with the Press, and we sincerely hope it will be the last. The reporters subsequently inspected the immigrants' quarters, and found them en regle at all points. Their occupants also expressed the utmost satisfaction at the treatment they had received whilst on board. We have much pleasure in acknowledging the courteous attention of Captain Mitchell. He reports a somewhat long passage of 82 dlays from land to land, and 90 days from the Downs to port. But considering the winds and weather she met with in the Southern Ocean the Jessie Readman has done very well indeed, and has fully sustained her reputation as a clipper ship. A very great deal of easterly weather was experienced between the Cape and Tasmania, and on two occasions the ship was hove to in S.E. gales. To come to details, the ship left the Downs on July 28th, and worked down Channel against westerly winds, and cleared the land on the 2nd August, a last departure being taken from the Lizard. N.W. winds favoured her to the Trade, which was caught in lat 32 N, and lost in lat 13 on the 13th August. Variable winds prevailed in the Equatorial calm belt, and the Line was crossed on the 25th August. The S.E. Trade proved fresh and steady, and stuck to the ship to lat 20. Hence northerly winds were experienced to the Meridian of the Cape, across which the ship passed on the 18th September. On the 23rd and 24th a heavy S.E. gale was experienced, and was weathered by the Jessie under three lower top sails. It broke on the latter day, but easterly weather continued, and another S.E. gale was encountered on the 26th and 27th. On the 29th the wind went into the westward and held there for a few days, and the ship knocked off a fair complement of easting until the 5th inst, when easterly weather again set in, and kept easterly and variable until the Jessie was on the 130th meridian, abreast of the Great Australian Bight. Then steady westerly weather set in and carried her to port. The Snares were sighted on the 22nd, at 4 p.m , and the Heads reached at noon on the 23rd. The strong S.W. gale then blowing drove her off shore again, and she eventually fetched in again on the afternoon of the 23th, and gained the port as above. She brings about 1000 tons of cargo, 300 tons of it being dead weight-iron. The following vessels were signalled during the passage :- On September 11th, lat. 38 37 S., long. 11.10 W.. ship Orient, from London to Adelaide; October 20th. lat. 49 S., long. 155 E., ship Otago, from Otago to Calcutta. We may observe that the Jessie Roadman ran her easting down between the 44th and 50th parallels, and that her best days work was 285 miles. she, however, made a rattling run of 14 hours from the Snares to the Nuggets.

Otago Witness November 7th 1874

Of the single women by the Jessie Readman only two remain at the Barracks unemployed. A number of immigrants were sent to Tokomairiro yesterday, and fifty married couples will be despatched to Oamaru by the first steamer.

Otago Witness October 3rd 1874

A number of emigrants left Granton during July for London, whence 20 of them sailed in the Chile for Nelson, and 60 in the Jessie Readman for Port Chalmers. Both detachments consisted principally of domestic servants, artisans, and labourers, and they hailed for the most part from Edinburgh, the northern counties of Scotland, and Shetland. The emigrants per Jessie Readman, during the two or three days they were detained in London prior to the sailing of the ship, were accommodated at the Emigration Depot, Blackwall. These emigrants were despatched by the Agent-General on the 15th July. Messrs. Patrick Henderson and Co.'s new ship Invercargill sailed from Greenock for Otago with 398 emigrants, equal to 335 statute adults. These emigrants were sent out by the Home Agent of Otago. On the 17th July, the fourth of Messrs. P. Henderson and Co.'s splendid new vessels was launched at Port Glasgow by the builders, Messrs. Robert Duncan and Co. She called the Auckland, and is 1250 tons register.