Search billions of records on

Otago Daily Times Thursday October 27th 1870

The ship supposed to be one from home, seen off the Ocean Beach on Tuesday afternoon, the 25th inst., arrived off the Heads on the same evening, and proved to be the clipper James Nicol Fleming, from Glasgow, after a smart passage of 83 days from Greenock, with passengers, emigrants, and general cargo. She is still under the command of the well lnown and esteemed pioneer of Messrs Patrick Henderson and Co.'s fleet to this port Captain P Logan. On arrival, Captain Logan received a testimonial from his passengers (which appears in another column), thanking him and his officers for their kindness shown throughout the passage, which her replied to in suitable terms for self and officers. Of the pasage, it may be said it was a pleasure trip, as heavy gales were seldom encountered, the vessel being only hove to once, and that in close proximity to the Snares, during a very heavy gale. The health of all was good, and well looked after by Dr McKenzie, her surgeon, who also received a testimonial on arrival, with the promise of something more tangible in a few days. The Doctor, in reply, thanked the passengers saying that he did the best for all according to his professional ability, and never showed any impartiality to any one. He wished them "God speed" in their adopted land. A testimonial to Mr Woodside, a passenger, also appears in another column, from Captain Logan and the passengers. Mr Woodside - on Captain Logan reading it - gracefully responded. The tug Geelong, towed the vessel up to a convenient anchorage shortly before 6 a.m. yesterday, and her passengers and luggage were conveyed to Dunedin by a twelve o'clock trip of the p.s. Golden Age. The Fleming brings 222 passengers in all, equal to 193 statute adults, all in good health. On the 3rd day out, August the 6th, a steerage passenger, James Abernethy, died of pleuro pneumonia leaving a widow and eleven children to mourn his loss. The ship was then in lat. 53.0 N., and long. 11.30 W. On October the 7th., August Watter, an able seaman, aged 23, a native of Danzig, died suddenly of heart disease. On the 11th October, however, Mrs Alexander McPherson, a steerage passenger, gave birth to a male child, who with its mother has progressed favourable under Dr McKenzie's care, and who will probably be named "The Fleming McPherson." The following report of the Fleming's voyage is taken from her log;- The ship weighed anchor from the Tail of the bank off Greenock at 2 pm on the 3rd August, and was taken in tow. At 6.30 am on the 4th, after passing Rathlin Island, the tug and pilot left her with a light E.N.E breeze. Took final departure on the following day from ? Lighthouse. Had fine light weather and calms to the N.E. Trades caught in lat 31.20 N. on the 19th and parted with on the 27th in lat. 13.42 N. long. 26.40 W. S.S.W. breezes and doldrums then set in until she reached lat. 3.33N : when she picked up the S.E. Trades. The Equator was crossed on the 5th of September in long 26.45W., and the Trades parted with in lat 24.28 S. Moderate weather prevailed until the 21st, when she had a slashing breeze from N.W. to N.E. enabling her to make the splendid run of 326 knots in the 24 hours. The meridian of Greenwich was crossed on the 25th and that of the Cape on the 27th. From thence, in running down her easting on a general parallel of 47.30, she bowled along with favourable breezes, and every endeavour was made to make up for time lost north of the Equator. She rounded the Snares on Sunday the 23rd inst. at 6 am and was off the Nuggets at 8 pm same day, when she got baffled by light variable airs, which continued to arrival. She was inspected, previous to clearance inwards, and the following is a summary of the inspecting officres report:-
"The ship came into harbour in a very clean and creditable condition. The whole of the compartments, including the single men's were very clean and well fitted. The passengers, in answer to enquiries made, stated that the provisions and water were good and ample." From personal observation, we heartily endorse the above, and add that the vessel comes into harbour, alow and aloft, neat and trim, not even haveing broken a single spar or rope yarn during the passage; in fact her condition reflects great credit on her Master and Officers. She will load at this port as the first woll ship of the season. On the passengers leaving the ship they gave three hearty chears to the crew, which were heartily responded to by the Tars.