Search billions of records on

Arrival of the India
The New Zealand Herald, Thursday March 4th, 1875

The fine ship India, 912 tons, of London, arrived in harbour at an early hour yesterday morning with about 190 passengers and a general cargo for this port. She has also on board a quantity of railway iron for Newcastle, for which port she will leave on discharge of the Auckland portion of her cargo. On her coming up harbour she was boarded by the Health Officer Dr Philson) and the Immigration Officer (Mr Ellis), when the usual inspection of the passengers took place. Everything was found satisfactory, and the vessel was at once admitted to pratique. A list of her passengers and cargo appears elsewhere. Two births and three deaths occurred during the voyage, which was an uneventful one, if we may except the mutinous behaviour of a portion of the crew on the afternoon of Christmas Day. On arrival the ringleaders were handed over by the Captain to the police authorities to be dealt with according to law. We are indebted to Captain McPhail for obligingly furnishing our reporter with the following  report of passage which he had prepared for us: - Departed from Gravesend on the 26th November; landed the Trinity pilot at 6pm at the Downs; parted with steam tugs to the N.E., off Dungeness; landed the Channel pilot at the Isle of Wight on the 27th; at 7pm proceeded: all well. On the 1st December experienced  a hard gale from the westward, between the Lizard and Ushant, lasting 24 hours. Crossed the Equator on the 26th Dec., in long. 29 deg20 min.W.; passed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope on the 25th January. On the 28th, at 3pm passed three icebergs in, in lat. 46 50 S and long 32 30 E. On the 30th January, at 6pm, passed another iceberg, in lat. 47 30 S and long. 44 50 E.Sighted Nugget Point light at 6pm on the 21st February , bearing W.N.W. 8 miles 85 days out. Had fine light northerly winds on the coast, and thick weather. Rounded the East Cape on Sunday evening, with fresh southerly winds to the Hauraki Gulf, arriving as above. Referring to the riotous behaviour of a portion of the crew, the following is extracted from the official log:- December 25 4pm: Upon the starboard watch being called, found part of the watch being the worse for liquor. John Mills A.B. and John McNeill A.B. being totally incapable through drink, and very insubordinate, and using very threatening language to the captain and all the officers. Put them in irons, and whilst doing so William Young A.B. who was also far gone in liquor, interfered and tried to prevent the prisoners from being put in irons, and was very abusive to the captain and chief officer. Secured him , and the three prisoners were then confined in the sail room, when Mills threatened the captain's life, and said that he would scuttle the ship before she arrived in Auckland. He further stated that he had been getting drink by broaching cargo for a fortnight previous. Upon the third officer going down the fore-hatch, he found the empty cases (one of brandy), both belonging to the vessels cargo. At 8pm Mills A.B. , still continued very abusive and insulting. Between 12 and 12.15pm the prisoners made their escape from the sail room and went forward and got their irons filed. At 8am the prisoners were again confined in the sail room, and at 10am they were brought aft, and, the official log-book having been read over to them, they were confined in the hospital.

The following is a list of the births and deaths:-
          BIRTHS - February 17: Mrs Connell of a daughter. February 20: Mrs Crawford of a son.
          DEATHS - December 18: Arthur Charles Lawrence, aged 1 years, from diarrhoea. February 16: James marks 21 years, from phthisis.
          February 20: male child of Mrs Crawford five hours after birth.

The immigrants were landed yesterday afternoon from the ship, and conducted to the Immigration Barracks.