Search billions of records on

The Daily Southern Cross November 7th 1874

The splendid ship Hydaspes, Captain Babot, arrived from London and anchored off the North Head at an early hour yesterday morning, having completed the passage from the Isle of Wight (where the pilot was landed) to Tiri Tiri in 80 days. We are indebted to Mt Robb, the purser of the ship, for the following particulars of the passage: - The ship left Gravesend on the 11th August, and came to an anchor off the North Forelend the following day; remained there until the 15th, and the pilot left the vessel off the Isle of Wight on the 17th. After clearing the English Channel light winds and fine weather poevailed (sic) until the Equator was crossed on the 12th of September. The N E trades were very light and unsteady, and the trades to the southward of the Equator were equally unsatisfactory, being so light that they could scarcely be termed trade winds. Passed the meridian of the Cape on the 4th October, and made the easting on the parallels of 450 and 460 S. Passed in sight of the Crozet Islands, and had strong westerly winds until rounding the S W Cape of Tasmania, on the 28th ultimo. The Three Kings were passed on the 4th inst., had strong westerly winds down the coast, and anchored of Tiritiri on the night of the 5th inst. At daylight of the 6th got under weigh, and arrived off the North Head at 9 am yesterday. She brings 350 immigrants, children included; also a numbeD r of saloon passengers. There were 12 deaths on the passage, of these 6 resulted from scarlet fever, and the last case having occurred only a fortnight previous to he arrival Dr Philson, our Health Officer, felt it his duty to order the vessel into quarantine. This gentleman, together with Mr Ellis, the Immigration Agent, Mr D Cruickshank - to whom the vessel is consigned - and several others came down by steamer about 10 am, but as she could not lay alongside, Dr Philson and Mr Ellis were pulled near to her by a waterman's boat, and after asking the usual questions ordered the yellow flag to be hoisted, much to the discomfiture of those on board. The medical officer of the vessel stated that there had been 6 deaths from scarlatina, in all the cases they were children under 5 years of age. Four of the remaininf six who died from other causes were also children, the exceptions being a man named Dutton, aged 60 years, who died on the 23rd August, and a girl named Mary Long, who died yesterday morning from brain fever. All the saloon passengers have arrived in good health, and are not well pleased at having to rusticate at Motuihi, but probable (sic) forget that in communities private interests are, or ought to be, subserviant to the public weal. Captain Burgess, the Harbour-master, took the vessel down to the quarantine station yesterday afternoon, and to-day the whole of the passengers are to be landed, and should no fresh cases appear, will probably remain there not longer than a week. Meanwhile the fittings on board the ship are to be taken down, and the entire vessel thoroughly fumigated and admitted to pratique. In the interval we can assure Captain Babot's friends that he is looking as jolly as ever, and the noble vessel under his command has come into port in excellent trim, and with over 2,000 tons of cargo in her hold. This is the second consecutive passage made by this ship in under 80 days from land to land, proving that with all the recent modifications, alterations, and boasted improvements which have turned our splendid seagoing vessels into extreme clippers, they cannot outsail the Hydaspes, a vessel built nearly twenty years ago, under the controlo of a skilful captain, energetic officer and a willing crew. (Here added is a list of births and deaths on board)

The New Zealand Herald November 7th 1874

The noble ship Hydaspes 1,092 tons, arrived in harbour at an early hour yesterday morning and anchored off the North Head to await the Health Officer’s inspection. Our old friend Captain Babot is to be congratulated on having made another swift and successful run from the old country, having left London on the 14th August, thus making a passage of 83 days from port to port and seventy-seven days from land to land. She has eclipsed the Waitangi which left London twelve days in advance of her and has not yet had her number run up. Unfortunately for the good ship she has had some sickness on board during the passage and twelve deaths have taken place. As a precautionary measure Dr Philson, Health Officer f the port, on paying his visit of inspection has ordered the vessel into quarantine. The detention will probably be of short duration and the passengers will be soon admitted to pratique. She brings about twenty saloon passengers and immigrants numbering 297 statute adults. A list of their names appears under the usual headings. In consequence of the decision of the Health Officer no communication was allowed with the ship. We have however gleaned the following particulars of her passage out: - The Hydaspes left Gravesend on the 11th August anchored off the North Foreland the next day and left the Downs on the 15th: landed the pilot off the Isle of Wight on the 18th and lost the land the following day; had fine weather with light winds crossing the equator on the 12th September: the NE trades were very uncertain and the SE were so light as to be scarcely worth mention; passed the meridian of the Cape on the 4th October; ran down the easting between 44 and 46 deg. S; sighted the Crozets; enjoyed favourable winds across the Southern Ocean; rounded the Three Kings on the 4th November; down the coast strong westerly winds, arriving off Tiritiri soon after nightfall of the 5th. The passage has been most favourable in point of weather. Two births occurred during the passage, namely September 25, Elizabeth Giles, of a daughter; October 3, Elizabeth Westbury of a son. The deaths have been principally through scarlet fever. A girl aged 16, however, died yesterday morning of brain fever, after the ship dropped anchor. (Here added is a list of births and deaths on board)