Search billions of records on

The Wellington Independent March 12th 1873

The long-delayed ship Glenlora, Captain Cuthbert, put in an appearance outside of the Heads yesterday morning, and was soon after boarded by Pilot Holmes and brought inside the Heads. As it was learned that food was short and that the passengers had been living upon rice for the last few days, owing to provisions of other kinds having run out, Messrs Levin & Co sent out the steamer Rangatira at once to tow the ship into harbour and take off fresh provisions to the passengers, and about five o'clock the anchor was dropped a short distance from the wharf. The Glenlora commenced her eventful voyage on the 8th August, 1872, when she left Gravesend. Having met with a squall which carried away her masts, she was obliged to put into the Mauritius on the 19th November for the purpose of making repairs. She left there on the 5th January, after having incurred an enormous expense in replacing the spars which had been carried away and repairing other incidental damage. A terrific hurricane was fallen in with on the 9th January. Owing to the straining by the gale, the rigging, which was quite new, became loose and required to be sparred and braced to keep it in its place. While labouring in the hurricane, the barque Der Fuchs, from Statien, was met with, and as she was found to be in a sinking condition, her ship's company, consisting  of captain, mate, eight seamen and four Lascars, were then taken on board the Glenlora. The barque had suffered severely during the storm, and having lost nearly everything, she was perfectly helpless when borne down upon by the Glenlora. With the exception of this storm, very fine weather was experienced till off the Australian coast. From thence to the coast of New Zealand experienced variable winds, land being first sighted last Sunday evening. The Glenlora brings about 80 passengers.

The only circumstances of any moment during the seven months' voyage were one birth and two deaths. The child given birth to subsequently died, and the Doctor (L'Estrange) of the ship, who had contracted a dangerous kind of fever at mauritius, died some three days after leaving land. Out of six well-bred rams shipped for Mr Krull two died on the voyage. One case of fever occurred on board three weeks before reaching Mauririus, but with the exception of the doctor's case any maladies experienced were effectually dealt with by the steward, who dispensed any medicine required after the doctor's death.