Search billions of records on

Daily Southern Cross July 18th 1875

The ship Forfarshire, consigned to L. D. Nathan and Co., arrived after a rather protracted passage yesterday from London, and anchored in theTiri Tiri passage. The vessel is a fine specimen of naval architecture, and had it not been for the adverse wind encountered on the passage would, no doubt, have made a rapid run. The following is the report supplied to us by Captain Daniel Jones:- The Forfarshire left London on the 10th March, and took her final departure from the Channel on the 22nd. Variable winds and heavy weather were experienced in the Channel. The equator was reached on the 10th April. After crossing the equator experienced nothing but light variable winds and calms from the S.E. until in latitude 330 S; a very high barometer the whole time. On the 7th and 8th May signs of a change appeared, with a falling barometer. Upon the morning of the 9th the barometer had fallen to 290 35, with dark lowering weather,  the wind increased to a strong gale, with torrents of rain. At 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. a heavy gale with violent squalls, and torrents of rain continued. Electric lights were visible upon each yard arm and at the masthead. At 9 p.m., after a heavy burst, the wind died away, and veered to the North, where it remained until 10 a.m. It then backed to the eastward, and continued with a very high sea until 3am, during which time the barometer continued to fall to 280 90 and 5 to 280 75, blowing furiously. At 5 p.m. the fore-topmast head and foretopgallant got carried away, fell by the board, and shortly after the maintopgallant mast followed, smashing up the forward cutter, splitting lower topsails, and doing much other damage aloft. At 6pm the storm abated and veered north eastwards, after which the barometer rose slowly, the ship being under close close-reefed topsails at the time. A strong gale continued for about eighteen hours after from the north west. All the foretopgallant gear, sails &c, was entirely lost but we saved considerable of the main, thus ending one of the most severe storms it has been my misfortune to encounter, and which was in all its stages a complete cyclone of the severest kind. During this time the vessel was in latitude 33deg 20min S., and longitude 17deg. W. The remainder of the voyage a succession of severe gales, mostly from the NE, was experienced. Since passing Tasmania, heay S.W. and N.W gales; Sighted the North Cape on Saturday last, a heavy gale being experienced down the coast; anchored for the night inside Tiritiri Passage. The passengers are reported to be all well. The deaths were four infants and one adult. The Forfarshire will probably arrive in port during today, weather permitting, when the usual inspection of the Health Officer will take place.

Daily Southern Cross July 19th 1875

Thirty-two single men, eight married couples, and nine children, immigrants per 'Forfarshire', have arrived at Ngaruawahia per 'Bluenose'.

Daily Southern Cross July 31st 1875

The ship Forfarshire is now taking in ballast and will leave for Newcastle about Wednesday next.

Daily Southern Cross August 4th 1875

The ship Forfarshire will leave for Newcastle in a few day[s], and will probably load with coal for an East Indian port.

Daily Southern Cross August 6th 1875

For Guam - Forfashire, ship, early.

The ship Forfarshire was hauled off from the wharf yesterday, and will sail for Guam in a few days.

Daily Southern Cross August 7th 1875

For Guam - Forfashire, ship, to-day.

The ship Forfarshire cleared outwards at the Customs yesterday for Guam. She will take her departure this morning.