Search billions of records on

The New Zealander May 12th 1860

The long-looked-for barque Ellen Lewis, Captain Ross, which was signalled on Wednesday last came into the harbour yesterday morning after a protracted passage from Cape Breton, of one hundred and sixty-two days. She took her departure from Nova Scotia on the 1st of December and on the 3rd january picked up a good north-east trade in latitude 25 deg. 33 min., which she carried to 6 deg. north, passing to the westward of the Cape de Verdes, without sighting them, the Canaries, or any of the neighbouring islands. Crossed the equator in longitude 24 deg. 26 min., west on the 18th of January.....

Arrived at Table Bay, Cape of Good Hope, on the 3rd of March and remained during the next seven days.

.   .   .    .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .   .   .   .   .    .   .

Sighted Cape Maria Van Diemen on the 7th, and thence encountered baffling winds up the coast. The ship has been exceedingly healthy, four births having occurred and but three deaths, those of young children. She has brought two hundred and thirty five souls all told, and of the stamp, of which true and successful colonists are compounded. With them the croakers and 'Job's comforters' will be able to exercise but little influence for evil, whilst their countrymen who have so energetically settled down before them need but to point to the results of their own industry as the best and most unanswerable demonstrations of the field afforded by New Zealand to those resolved to make their way in it. The Ellen Lewis was built at Sydney (cape Breton), in 1855, and was classed A1 for six years in French Lloyds.

By John McLeod a passenger on the Ellen Lewis

The only ship I am able to describe clearly is the last, called the Ellen Lewis, by which I was a passenger to New Zealand. She was a barque of 336 tons belonging to William Ross, afterward the Hon. Wm. Ross.

A number of settlers called on him to find out his terms to convey them to New Zealand. His terms were 16 for every passenger - each to provide his own provisions. All being fairly well to do, they agreed to his terms. It was considered that she could carry 200 men, women and children.

She sailed from St Ann's Harbour on December 17th, 1859, and called at Capetown for water and other necessaries. She anchored about a mile from shore, as it is an open roadstead....... We stayed seven or eight days, and fortunately the wind was blowing from the land.....from Capetown we made straight for the city of Auckland, where we arrived on May 14th, 1860.

Many of the passengers settled at Waipu. They were steadfast believers in a Supreme Being guiding their destiny.