Search billions of records on


Kindly transcribed by Stuart Horton. Thanks Stuart.



New Zealand Herald 4th March 1880

The signal denoting a barque outside Tiritiri were hoisted yesterday afternoon, and towards the closing hours of
business the flag denoted she was the above vessel, from London, and Plymouth. As the vessel got nearer, another flag was hoisted---that requiring of presence of the Health Officer, and by many this was looked upon as ocasious of something wrong on board. Dr. Philson was apprised of the circumstances, and about 7pm the Custom Launch with Dr.Philson, Captain Burges, Mr Hill and Mr. Brewer (of Customs) and Mr. Brophy (Immigration Officer) with several others, proceeded down to the Channel: and as the North Head was rounded and the "light " seen at the masthead indicated sickness on board, it was evident the matter was serious.
The pilot (Captain Burgess)  warned the little steamer to keep away, and running close as prudence would permit,
Dr. Philson called for the medical officer on board to answer the usual enquiries; but the reply came that Dr.
Fox was laid up, and had been for some considerable length of time. Captain Campbell, under the circumstances gave the fullest information in his power, and stated that a large amount of sickness had been prevalent on board - Some 30 or 40 cases of measles.   This disease had broke out among the children ten days after leaving
Plymouth , but fortunately subsided without proving fatal. Whooping cough had also been rife among the children, and in one case had proved fatal, not fewer than 12 children had having been attacked. Two other deaths , those of infants, had also occurred but these were due to consumption, and general debility. The sickness at present is low fever, which had been present for some time, and chiefly among adults, and among it's victims is Dr. Fox, the medical superintendent, with four or five others. Under these circumstances the Health Officer deemed it necessary to send the vessel into quarantine, and preparations at Motuihi will be made early this morning  to receive them. There have been four births on the voyage, so that the barque  has one more than when she sailed, or a total of 318 immigrants, equal to 267 and half statute  adults - including officers and crew, a total of 355. The vessel belongs, or is chartered by Messieurs. Shaw, Saville and Co. of London, and comes consigned to Nathan & Co of this city (Auckland).She left Plymouth on November 27th and the voyage has therefore occupied 96 days. It was somewhat difficult, under the circumstances, to obtain information owing to the doctors illness, and the captain at the moment was unable to give the Health Officer the names of those attacked by sickness, or those of the deceased children.

Quarantined Barque
"Earl Granville "

New Zealand Herald 6th March 1880

Arrangements were concluded early yesterday at Motuihi to receive the passengers of the above ship, and in
the afternoon the vessel weighed anchor in the channel, and proceeded to the island.   The whole of the passengers and the major portion of their effects would be safely housed by sunset. The services of Dr. Andrews who is at present residing on the island, have been secured, and he will have the supervision of the immigrants during the illness of the ships medical officer, Dr. Fox.  This latter gentleman and four other adults are still suffering from low fever, but there is no fresh outbreak, and it is thought that, with a plentiful supply of fresh food , and a few necessaries that are not available on ship board, combined with airy compartments the disease will shortly be stamped out. The few remaining passengers of the ship British Empire were brought to town
yesterday--- Mr. Brophy having received a medical certificate that all were convalescent, and free from disease.
The births during the voyage of the "Earl Granville" were Mrs. Surman of a son, Mrs. Speed of a son, Mrs. Homes of a son, Mrs. Latrope of a son. There were three deaths (all infants under one year old)-- vis, Gertrude
Holmes, Henry Maxted, Allen Maynell. One of the North Shore Ferry Company's steamers will leave at 9am. to-day for the island ,with provisions, &c.

Death at the Quarantine Station

New Zealand Herald 9th March 1880

We regret to record that the very discouraging news was received yesterday from Motuihi, namely, that of the death of Dr. Fox, the medical superintendent of the passengers by the infected barque "Earl Granville". Beyond the mere fact of his death there is no further information. Dr. Fox, on the arrival of the vessel, was laid up with low fever, caught it is supposed, by his attention to other passengers. He was in a very weak state, but it was thought that the change from close confinement of the vessel to the more spacious quarters at the quarantine station would have restored him to health, but on the contrary he succumbed to the disease. A birth has also taken place, Mrs. S.A. Thompson, (nee: Horton) being the happy mother.