Search billions of records on

From the Evening Post

This vessel sailed from Gravesend on the 9th September; during this time had strong fresh gales from westward. Got the N. E. trades on 5th October in 14 deg N. and 26 deg W. Crossed the equator on the 26th October in the 30 deg W. From thence to 18 deg S. moderate S. E. Trades when a gale sprung up from S. S. E., and the ship was forced to 37 deg W. A run of 1,600 miles was made in six days from there to the Cape. Had beautiful weather and smooth water, with moderate breeze from N. to W. Passed the Cape on the 23rd November in 30 deg S, when we got steady winds from N. N. W. to S. W. There was an average of 227 miles kept up for 14 days. On Sunday 21st inst, a heavy sea from N. to E. glass going down to 28,600, with little or no wind from N. N. W. at midnight a head gale came on from N. N. W. with high confused sea. Hove to for 13 hours. On the 22nd at 4 p. m. while running was struck by a sea carrying away top-gallant bulwarks, stove fore hatch door, and caused sundry damages about decks. Passed of towards the snares and made our easting in 45 deg 10 sec S. up to 120 E. when the latitude was increased, but did not get a steady wind. Made Cape Campbell on the 25th instant and was off the port for ten days.

The following testimonial has been presented to the Captain:

"We the undersigned passengers of the emigrant ship Duke of Edinburgh, from London to New Zealand present to Captain A. A. McInnis this testimonial, as a mark of esteem and respect for his urbanity and gentlemanly conduct and above all, his great abilities as commander in whom all placed the greatest confidence and reliance on his skill and knowledge. We therefor tender to him our sincere thanks for our safe arrival, wishing him a safe voyage home and a happy new year. - We are &c. E. J. Tanner, F. A. Moore, on behalf of the other passengers."


The ship Duke of Edinburgh arrived on port yesterday morning and in the afternoon was sent into quarantine. Happily, we are able to state that the sickness of of a very trifling character, consisting solely of some slight cases of scalatina, but as a judicious measure of precaution to avert the risk of introducing a new disease, which probably might spread in a city like Wellington, a brief quarantine was deemed wise to enable the clothes to be washed and fumigated. The detention is expected to be a very short one. Amongst the Duke of Edinbugh's passengers are 30 of Colonel Fielding's immigrants, the first instalment sent out by the Colonist's Aid Society.


On the 28th inst, Mrs J Blundell, of a daughter
On the 28th inst, at Ingestre St, the wife of Mr E. Read, of a daughter

On the 27th inst, at Cuba St, Elizabeth third daughter of Mr Gordon Baillie, aged 2 years and 8 months
On the 28th inst, Bridget Connolly, aged 42 years
On the 28th inst, at his residence, Hastings St, Napier, Mr J.J.W. Gowing

On the 24th inst at St Peters, Wellington by the Ven Archdeacon Stuck, John Owens son of E. Lard Esq, of Llanstiman, Tasmania to Catherine, daughter of the late Alfred Batts Esq


A contemporary asks, what is the value of a complete moa skeleton? An approximate answer to the question is to be found in the fact that the authorities of the Hokitika Museum purpose insuring two skeletons of the kind, to be sent them by Dr Haast for 300, so that 150 may be regarded as the minimum value of one of them.


Two large lizards of a peculiar character have recently been captured near Napier, These ungainly reptiles measure about fifteen inches in length, their color being of a greyish tinge, whilst a large crest, which was alternately elevated and depressed, increased their singular appearance.


An inquest was held on Saturday on the body of the late Mrs McEvoy, whose painfully sudden death we recorded in our last issue. In accordance with Dr Harding's evidence the jury returned a verdict that death had been caused by serous apoplexy.


A curious question, the Sydney Morning Herald says, has been raised at the Disestablished Church Synod of Elphin. The dean proposed that the bishop should no longer be called "My Lord". The bishop replied, he was "a Lord" by virtue of the Queens letter; he had paid 260 as fees of  honor, and if the Synod would repay him these fees, they never need call him "Lord" again. Eventually an amendment, virtually negativing the deans proposal was carried.


A woman names Donald has been imprisoned in Mount Eden Gaol, Auckland, in default of payment of a fine of 10 imposed on her at Russell for inciting American whalers to desert. Her term of imprisonment is three months.