Search billions of records on

The Taranaki Herald August 31st 1853

The "Cresswell" arrived here on Thursday last, having left the port of London on the 1st of May. She brings 123 passengers 52 of whom remain here. The weather being very fine, and there not being any large amount of cargo to discharge, she sailed on Sunday morning for Auckland.

The "Cresswell" is the first vessel from England which for a long time past has made New Plymouth her first port in the colony, and we take occasion to congratulate the settlement on the auspicious event. We are informed that originally she was intended for Auckland; but that the representations of our townsman, Mr Vickers Messrs Willis's Agent in this Province, occasioned the alteration in that arrangement, so every way desirable.

It is gratifying to find that notwithstanding our election, leisure was still found to speed the ship to her next port without delay. The voyage of the Cresswell to our shores has been an agreeable one, and we have much pleasure in making known the following complimentary testimonial to Captain Barnett:-

To Captain W C Barnett
Commanding the ship 'Cresswell'

      We, the undersigned passengers, on board this ship on her voyage from London to New Zealand, hereby wish to return you our best thanks for the general courtesy and kindness we have experienced from you whilst on board, and to assure you of our best wishes for your future happiness and prosperity.
- Signed by 31 of the passengers

The alteration of the vessel's first port of destination, which has been referred to, occasioned a difficulty in getting at a small portion of the cargo belonging to this place and it was deemed inadvisable to delay her until it could be found. The missing packages will be forwarded by the first opportunity from Auckland.

The rapidity with which the vessels are relieved of their cargoes at this port, as compared with any other place in the colony, must prove a vast saving to the owners. In the short space of a few weeks we have had, besides the Cresswell, two other English ships, the Simlah and the Sir Edward Paget. Both had been detained upwards of two months in Auckland; but here, although each bringing a considerable amount of cargo, were cleared the former in five days; and doubtless this promptitude will operate to bring more vessels to this place as a first port.

In closing this notice of the Cresswell's visit to New Plymouth, we must not omit to mention the facilities by which so many of those on board were enabled to get on shore and see this place during the short stay of the vessel, and for which it is stated that we are mainly indebted to Mr S Vickers.