ARRIVAL OF THE CITY OF
Otago Daily Times January 28th 1871
Messrs Patrick Henderson & Co's clipper ship City of Dunedin, from London, arrived off the Heads yesterday afternoon - signalled for a tug, as also that all were well on board. The tug Geelong proceeded down and towed the vessel up on the evening's flood to an anchorage in the Quarantine Ground, where she will remain until the powder portion of her cargo is discharged, when she will be removed to a higher berth. On her passage, Captain Curry, her commander, long and favourably known in the Otago trade, as master of the Lady Egidia, reports that the City left Gravesend on the 23rd of October, had strong westerly winds in the Channel, and took her final departure from off Plymouth, where she parted with her pilot, on the 1st of November; light N W winds then prevailed to catching the N E Trades in lat 23; they were light and lost in lat 3 N. The Equator was crossed on the 26th of November in lat 27deg 30min W. Had fair S E trades, sighted the Island of Trinidad, lost the trades in lat 20deg S. Light N W winds and calms were then experienced to passign of the meridian of Greenwich on December 18th in lat 38deg E. In running down her easting on a general parallel of 43deg 30min light breezes prevailed from N W to S W and no ice was seen. Stewart's Island was sighted on the morning of the 24th, and the passage made between it and the Traps. From thence light variable winds were met with to arrival.