Search billions of records on

The Press Monday November 17th 1873

The third ship under the auspices of the New Zealand Shipping Company, arrived in harbour on Saturday, and anchored off the town at 1pm after a smart passage of 84 days from anchorage to anchorage, and 79 days from the Lizard to the ?. At 2 pm the Health Officer and the Commissioners left the wharf in the SS Mullagh, and on arriving alongside the ? inquiries having been made, they proceeded on board and made the statuary inquiries having been made, they proceeded on board to make the usual inspection.

The ship, which is built of iron, is certainly a very fine model, and although she was evidently not intended for a passenger trade, yet she is most admirably adapted for the conveyance of emigrants; her 'tween decks are lofty and well ventilated, the berths were well placed, and in fact the arrangements throughout for the welfare of the emigrants seemed to have been strictly adhered to (a fault which is decidedly on the right side appeared to be that there were too few passengers considering the capabilities of the ship). On going through the various compartments and making strict inquiries there were no complaints, and all seemed to have enjoyed themselves very well, and spoke in the highest terms of the Captain and his wife, the Surgeon-Superintendent and wife, and the officers throughout the ship. The hospital and berth accomodation has been very good. The cooking galley, although somewhat small, has acted well during the voyage. The condenser, which is a very large one, has acted well, and has supplied every requirement. The ship, which is certainly a very fine model, was built three years since by Messers R and J Evans, Liverpool. She has a small but well apportioned cabin, and has a good poop deck. Her lower deck is all that could be wished for, and looked uncommonly clean. She has immense beam, and the height of her 'tween decks was 9ft 3in.

We are indebted to Captain Davies for the following report:- Left Plymouth on August22nd, and the Lizards on the night of the 28th; had bad weather  through the Bay of Biscay and light N E trades, crossing the line on the 26th day out. The S E trades for the greater part were light. Sighted the Canaries on September 4th, and Cape de Virde on the 9th. The eastings were run down in 40 deg to 47 deg. Sighted Tristan d'Acuna on October 5th; passed the meridian of the Capeon the night of the 14th October, and was off Tasmania on November 4th passed and the Snares on the 11th; was off Oamaru on the 13th; had light southerly winds to arrival, having made the passage from anchorage to anchorage in 84 days; from land to land in 79 days. The ship carries an increased spread of canvas, and with good winds must sail well.

The following is the account of her running from the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope to tasmania, 14th October to November 4th:- October 14th 212,212, 256, 267, 197, 208, 234, 282, 294, 295, 275, 268, 290, 263, 312, 277, 266, 278, 216, 277, 300 and 253 miles per diem - 11 knots.

We had omitted to state that the emigrants who consist of English, Sweden and danes, appear to be remarkably healthy, and were under the care of of Surgeon Superintendent Dr Bain; the single girls were under the care of matron Mrs Kiddell, and sub-matron Miss Wright. The latter receive excellent characters for the way in which they have conducted themselves. Their berths, and in fact the whole ship from fore to aft, are patterns of cleanliness. By the energy displayed by the agents and seconded by the railway authorities, the whole of the immigrants were landed on Saturday afternoon, and sent on to the barracks at Addington.