ARRIVAL OF THE
Lyttelton Times September 12th 1863
This ship, with the first batch of Lancashire immigrants, arrived in harbour on
Sunday 16th August. In the afternoon the Commissioners reported the ship with a
clean bill of health, but gave strict orders to prevent people boarding. This
had the effect of preventing our reporter from visiting the ship, and it was
only through the courtesy of Captain Sproul he was enabled to do so on Monday
morning; many of the people and the watermen having been refused. The British
built at Boston, United States, in Nov 1858; is 1150 tons register old
measurement; length of lower deck, 178 feet, and 23 feet beam, with 8 feet space
between decks at the main hatch.
She is part owned by Messrs. WH Daunt & Co, of Liverpool.
Since the commencement of the war in America she has changed hands, having previously been called the Franklyn Haven when carrying the US flag. The Captain left the tug steamer off the Tursca light on the 6th May, with immigrants, numbering 406 souls, or 342 1/2 statute adults.
Nothing of importance occurred during the passage out, with the exception of adverse winds and calms; crossed the line on the 8th June in 24 long., passed the meridian of the Cape 7 July; sighted St Paul's on the 22nd, the only land seen till passing the Snares on Wednesday, 11th Aug; a good run to the Heads, with fair wind, making the voyage 103 days from the docks. Twelve deaths occurred, all children, and 9 births. The ship is in command of Captain Whitfield, and the passengers are
under the medical superintendence of Dr Jollie; this gentleman is selected for his office by the Emigration Commissioners at home, and is entitled to a gratuity of $1 per head on all passengers landed alive. The people speak in high terms of praise, of the captain, doctor, and officers of the ship for their unceasing endeavours to make them comfortable.
An address was presented to our Local Commissioners, thanking the Government for the assistance rendered to the passengers and their families, and another is to be forwarded to the Emigration Commissioners at home for providing them with every possible comfort and convenience during the voyage. Dr Donald, on behalf of our Government, made a suitable reply, giving them a welcome to Canterbury. The ship, internally, presented an appearance creditable to all concerned - captain, officers, crew and passengers; she is a real specimen of cleanliness, and her arrangements much superior to what we have hitherto witnessed under the old regulations.
She carries one of Normandy's apparatus for distilling fresh water, capable of supplying 300 gallons per diem, with the consumption of an average of 500 lbs of coal. The British Crown is the first ship from Liverpool direct for Canterbury, and is consigned to Messrs Dalgety, Buckley & Co; she brings 501 tons of general cargo, but no cabin passengers.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids