Search billions of records on

The New Zealand Times October 11th 1875

The iron clipper ship Border Chief (100 A1), under the command of Captain Leslie, dropped anchor in Wellington harbour at 3 am on Saturday, 9th inst. The following is a record of her voyage:- After leaving the Thames she discharged the pilot of Portland Heads on the 4th of last July, and passed the Start on the following day with a light easterly wind. On the 10th of July she passed Madeira on the starboard bow, being favoured with a light N E trade wind. On the 16th July she sighted Cape de Verede Island. In 14deg S lat she lost the N E trades, and experienced much delay from the prevailing light southerly winds, which prevented the ship from crossing the equator until the 31st of July (twenty-eight days out). She crossed the line in 25deg W long. From the line she had light S E  trades, which were lost on the 9th of August in 20deg S lat and 34deg W long. For the following eight days she experienced light southerly winds, which considerably retarded her progress. On the 22nd August she encountered a strong S W gale and heavy seas, which caused the ship to roll heavily, and obliged her to sail under reefed topsails. The following day she had to contend with a terrific N W gale and high cross seas. The seas flooded her deck with heavy water. so tempestuous was the storm that a portion of the cargo in the hold broke adrift. The main hatches were taken off to admit of the removal to the deck of the powder, boxes of cartridges, and some miscellaneous cargo. It being found impossible, in consequence of the gale and heavy cross seas, to secure any of the cargo to the deck, and fearing that the powder might by an accident explode, the captain ordered it to be thrown overboard, to ensure the safety of the passengers, the ship, and cargo. The gale continued all that day, heavy seas at intervals washing down the hold, and seriously damaging the cargo. A quantity of iron got loose in the lower hold, and a number of the passengers assisted the crew in trying to secure it. On the 24th she encountered a strong westerly gale, with heavy cross seas, the crew and passengers being employed all day in securing the iron, the weather being most tempestuous, causing the ship to labour heavily. At 10 pm the hatches were battened down. The westerly gale and heavy seas continued throughout the next day. On the 28th of the same month she passed the meridian of the Cape in 42deg S lat and ran down her easting on a parallel of from 43 deg to deg S lat, experiencing the usual SW and NW winds. On September 28 the ship passed in sight of the South Cape of Tasmania. On the 6th October she entered Cook Strait. At noon the following day she passed the Brothers Islands, and sighted Pencarrow Lighthouse at 8.30 pm of the same day, and was shortly afterwards boarded by Pilot Holmes. The strong northerly wind blowing prevented the Pilot from bringing her in, and on the following morning (Friday) she was driven down as far south as Cape Campbell. at 11 pm the same day she caught a southerly breeze, carrying her into harbour, where she anchored as stated above.