Search billions of records on

The Evening Post June 10th 1880

This vessel, as we mantioned yesterday, was towed in at 3 pm by the SS Taiaroa. The passengers, whose names we published on Tuesday have arrived in good health. The Ben Venue left London on the 5th March, and experienced light variable winds up to the 4th may. When the wind came up fresh from the S W, and on the 10th increased to a hard gale, during which the main top-gallant yard was carried away. On the following day the wind abated, and was variable till the 13th; a gale then set in from the N E compelling her to reef the upper top-sails and run before it. At noon on the 14th a terrific suqall passed over her, laying the rail under; the sea broke heavily over her, smashing her starboard top-gallant bulwarks, and started the waterways on the poop. At 4 pm the wind suddenly lulled, the glass reading at 28.40 and still falling. Next day, during a heavy squall, the inner jib blew away, and the main upper top-sail and lower fore top-sail quickly followed suit. The ship was then hove-to, but, owing to the confused sea she lurched heavily, starting the heel-bolt of the spanker boom, and before the spar could be secured it made a complete wreck of the poop, the wheel and the steering gear, binnacle, sky-lights, and companions being smashed to atoms. During the gale the officer's a crew had to work night and day making repairs, and kept at it until they were not able to work any longer, five of the latter had to go below, being completely done-up, and, infact, have not yet recovered. All praise is due to the officers and crew, for the gallant way they worked to save the vessel. After this the weather slightly moderated, but on the 18th another gale from the S S W set in, continuing for three days. Light variable winds followed till the 3rd June, when another S W gale sprang up. At 3 pm hove the ship to, and at 1:30 am was about bearing to the northward, when the Snares were  sighted close on the lee bow, about two miles off; and, by the time she wore round, was only a quarter of a mile off shore. The foresail and the mainsail were then set to drag her off shore, but only stood long enough to enable the vessel to be kept away, when they blew to ribbons. The weather then moderated, and on Saturday sighted Cape Campbell. She was towed in by the Taiaroa as above, and berthed at the wharf to-day. Messrs W & G Turnbull & Co., are agents.