Search billions of records on

Daily Southern Cross August 6th 1870

The fine new iron-ship Argyleshire, under the command of Captain Tod (who some few years back visited this port as chief officer of the ship Helenslee), arrived in harbour on Tuesday, August 2, from Glasgow, which port she left on April 2nd. As will be seen from the report, the Argyleshire has not had one good day's test of her sailing qualities since her leaving Glasgow; from the appearance of the vessel we should think, however, that with anything like weather she would prove herself one able "to run." The Argyleshire has arrived in most excellent condition. The passengers speak in glowing ternrs of the attention shown to them by Captain Tod and his officers. The Argyleshire and Sydenham, which arrived within three hours of each other, are both Clyde ships, having been built within half-a-mile of each other, therefore a large amount of interest has been attached to the maiden trips of these two fine ships. They are both consigned to Messrs. Brown, Campbell, and Co., and will on discharge of inward cargo be laid on the berth for London. Captain Tod has kindly furnished us with the following report of the passage:- Left Glasgow on April 2. For the first 10 daystheArgyleshire had to contend against strong SW gales. Thence to Western Isles light N.E. winds. The N.E. trades proved very unfavourable. At no time did the ship make an average speed of more than three knots. Crossed the Equator on the 36th day out, in long 23 W. Picked up the S.E. trades in 4 S. They, however, proved light and variable, carrying the ship to 16 30 S. After losing the trades the Argyleshire had to contend against light variable winds for three days. Passed the Cape of Good Hope on June 15, in 43 S. Thence experienced light S.W. and varying to N.W. winds. The Cape was passed on the 70th day out. From the Cape of Good Hope the ship experienced strong variable winds; made the Three Kings on July 29, at 5 am; thence down the coast strong S.E. breezes, with thick rainy weather. Captain Tod informs us that on June 8, at 9.30am, in latitude 38 55 S, longitude 5 40 W., Robert Nichol, a steerage passenger, died of consumption. On June 12, at 2.25 p.m., in latitude 4031 S., longitude 121-31 E., a passenger, named George Moffet, also died of consumption. These two passengers, from the time of their going on board till their death, suffered extremely from sea- sickness. On July 2, in latitude 447 S., longitude 91 24E., James Mackintosh jumped overboard and was drowned. He had for some time previous been in a very low state of mind. At the time of the occurrence the ship was running before a strong gale. Every effort was used to save the poor unfortunate man, but without success. On April 25, a boy named James Henderson, an apprentice, in the act of going aloft to assist in furling the sails, had his hat knocked off by the foresail. He immediately jumped overboard to regain his hat. The alarm was at once given, a buoy thrown to him, and a boat lowered. He was picked up about a mile from the ship in an exhausted state. Luckily at the time the vessel was only going at the rate of about three knots an hour.

Daily Southern Cross August 16th 1870

Hugh Legg was charged with having used abusive and insulting language towards Captain Tod, on board the Argyleshire, on the morning of the 17th instant - Prisoner denied the charge - William Tod, captain of the Argyleshire,'and James Taylor, chief officer of the same vessel, gave evidence of prisoner's conduct, and stated that the language he had used was so bad that it was unfit to be repeated. The Bench, sentenced the prisoner to two weeks imprisonment with hard labour, and to pay costs.