Search billions of records on

The Wellington Independent April 1st 1857

The Ann Wilson arrived in harbour on Sunday afternoon, after a passage of exactly four months. In comparison with the former vessels of this line her passage has been a long one, - with that made by ships generally, it has been of an average length. We regret to say that of about 220 souls, there has been eighteen deaths, four of whom are adults. One of these died soon after the vessel came to an anchor, and as it was reported to the Government that there had been a deficiency of medicines, medical stores, and water, and that the ventilation was defective, the Superintendent very properly directed the Coroner to hold an inquest on the body, and called on the Port Emigration Officer, to make an inspection of the general arrangements and condition of the vessel. The inquest was held at the Royal Hotel, on Monday evening, and adjourned to the Supremem Court House, this morning; pending the result of the enquiry, it does not become us to state the opinion we have carefully formed; but we can not help expressing our sense of the necessity of this investigation being of the most searching character, in justice not only to the Immigrants, but to the Captain, Surgeon, and all the other parties concerned. Captain Sharp's report will no doubt be made public, and the complaints of the Immigrants, brought under the notice of the Magistrate. Every thing that can be reasonably done to protect the people who have been induced to come to our shores, will, we are satisfied, be done by the Provincial Authorities, not only for their own character and the welfare of the Immigrants, but as a wholesome caution to the ship owners for the future.

The Wellington Independent April 1st 1857

An inquest was held on Monday last, at the Royal Hotel, before D G Monteith, Esq., Cornoer, and a respectable Jury, to enquire into the cause of death of Jonathan Deverell, who died on board the barque Ann Wilson, on Sunday afternoon. The case excited considerable interest, and the Jury room was crowded from the commencement to the close. As the case is a very important one, we give the names of the gentlemen composing the Jury, but refrain from making any comment until they have returned their verdict. They are as follows:- Messrs R H Carpenter, R J Duncan, S Gawith, W Freeman, G H Luxford, W Lucas, Philip Mouritz, W B Rhodes, J P, (foreman), Henry Reeve, James M Stuart, J H Wallace and James Wallace.

The Jury having been impannelled, retired to the dead house of the Colonial Hospital to view the body of Jonathan Deverell, then and there lying dead. After viewing the body, the Jury returned to the Jury-room when the following evidence was taken.

John Magee, being sworn, stated - I am Surgeon in charge of the immigrants on board the barque Ann Wilson. I was engaged at Liverpool by Messrs James Baines and Co., at their office, to proceed in the above ship