Search billions of records on

The Daily Southern Cross October 26th 1865

The London immigrant ship Aliquis, 1,121 tons register, Captain Davidson, anchored off the North Head at midnight, 91 days out. She left on the 26th of July last, and has had a remarkably fine passage throughout. We hold over her report until our next, owing to the late hour at which she arrived.

The passengers, to the number of 125, have all arrived in good health, under the medical charge of Mr Foster. The wife of John Logan gave birth to a child; and a third class passenger named Robert Ishurwood died on the passage.

Amongst her passengers are Mr Archibald Clarke and family, who have returned to settle amongst us after a long absence.

The Daily Southern Cross October 27th 1865

The ship Aliquis, Captain Davidson, from London, which anchored off Rangitoto at midnight on Wednesday, was unable to make the harbour yesterday morning, in consequence of an accident. The crew commenced to heave up the anchor at five o'clock in the morning, but owing to the loss of one of the windlass purchase bars, the ship was not able to get under weigh until seven o'clock. Immediately after the anchor was weighed, the main topsail tie broke, and the main topsail yard was carried away. The anchor was dropped again immediately, and owing to there being only one windlass bar the ship could not get away in time to save the morning's tide. The PS Waitemata went down last evening with the view of towing her up, but returned unsuccessful. She will doubtless be able to make the harbour this morning.

The following is the report of the Aliquis:- Left London on the 22nd July, and parted pilot on the 26th, off the Isle of Wight. Lost sight of land on the 28th, and passed outside the cape de Verde Islands. Experienced fine N E trade winds, and crossed the line on 25th August, in 120 47' W. Had good S E trade winds, bearing to the S W, and passed the meridian of the Cape on the 17th September. Ran down her easting in 440, with fine weather and moderate breezes throughout, winds varying from the N W to S W, Sighted Tasmania on the 15th October, bearing N W half W. Had fine weather and variable winds from thence until making the Three Kings early on Tuesday morning last. Had fine southerly winds down the coast, and anchored off the North Head at midnight on Wednesday, after a fine passage throughout of 91 days. Sighted no vessels during the passage, and arrived in a healthy and cleanly condition, having had one death and one birth during the passage.