Search billions of records on

Daily Southern Cross June 3rd 1871

A ship was signalled all yesterday, but, owing to baffling winds, it did not make the harbour. About 12 o'clock at night the vessel anchored inside Tiritiri, and proved, as anticipated, to be the Alexandrina, from London. We learn that the ship encountered fearful weather during the passage, having by one gale had the decks swept, the wheel and deckhouse carried away and the bulwarks stove in. Two of the ship's crew were killed voyage out: the particulars we  have not yet learned.

Daily Southern Cross June 5th 1871

In our Saturday's issue we announced the arrival of the ship Alexandria from London, and that during the passage she had lost two of her crew. Below we give a full account of the voyage kindly supplied to us by Mr. Findlay, the chief officer. The Alexandrina, a ship that has every appearance of being a fast sailor, has on her present voyage been particularly unfortunate. From the time the vessel left London till her arrival here, she had to contend against heavy gales and adverse winds, thus accounting for the long passage of 114 days. The passengers have all arrived in good health, and speak in glowing terms of the untiring attention experienced at the hands of Captain Sangster and his officers throughout their trying passage. The following is the report of the passage:- Left South Foreland on February 7, and landed the pilot on the 11th off Portland; took final departure from Start Point on the 12th. Adverse winds and heavy cross seas were experienced to the 23rd, when a N.E. breeze sprang up and carried the vessel off Madeira on the 26th; thence till the 2nd March light southerly winds. Sighted the island of Palma on that day. Picked up the N.E. trades on the 3rd, and carried them till the 8th in lat. 10 25N., long. 2045 W; thence light calms and variable winds until the 23rd. Crossed the Equator in long. 22" 45 W. Had strong S.E. from there till the 4th April, when the wind veered round to the NE, blowing strong for several days, with thick dirty weather. Passed the meridian of Cape of Good Hope on the 17th. On the 19th it commenced to blow a hard gale from the N.N.W the vessel being at this time in lat. 41.6 S., long. 20.0 E. At 8 a.m., pooped a heavy sea, which carried away the taffrail-wheel and casing, stove in skylights, and flooded the saloon and passengers' cabins, smashed the port life-boat, and washed the man from the wheel to the fore part of the poop. The ship at the time was under main-topgallant sail only, and was scudding at the rate of 13 knots. A temporary wheel was immediately rigged up. The gale continued to blow with terrific violence for five days; on the 24th it moderated, and northerly and easterly winds prevailed till the 6th May, when the vessel was in lat. 50.0 S., long. 85.46 E., it came on to blow a hard increasing gale from the eastward; next day it veered to E.N.E., with violent squalls and heavy showers of rain, a high cross-sea running, and the vessel continually shipping large quantities of water. The ship was put under close-reefed topsails. At noon, furled the fore and mizen topsails, and hove the ship to under close-reefed maintopsail and mizen staysail. At 4.45 p.m. on the 7th, the ship was struck by a heavy sea on the port-beam, which smashed to pieces eleven stanchions, the bulwarks and rails from the fore part to the after part of the main-rigging, at the same time sending all the spars to leeward, starting the house from the deck, driving in the weather doors, bursting out the after end, and smashing away the whole of the lee bulwarks and every movable thing from the main deck. Started the winch-bits, and smashed the iron fly-wheel in halves, also the pump fly-wheel and shaft on the port side, and the pump stanchions. A large quantity of the water got below. It also started the foremost boats skids, smashing the ship's gig and pinnace. The pumps were sounded, and it was found that 18in of water had risen in the hold. Set the hands to work to clear away the wreck, some covering the stanchion holes with canvas. Whilst clearing the wreck found the body of J. Moore, the second steward, lying on the deck on the lee side. He was immediately carried into the cabin, and, although every care and attention was given him, died at 7 p.m. the same day. In clearing the weather side found the body of Edward Day, ship boy [our comment - ship's boys were anywhere between 10 and 16], lying jammed between the winch stanchion and the mainmast. When carried in the cabin it was found that the top of the poor little fellow's skull had been smashed in. At 8 next morning the bodies were committed to their last resting-place. At noon the gale moderated, and for the next few days variable winds, with thick foggy weather, were experienced. Passed Tasmania at noon on May 21. N.E. winds prevailed, with squally weather and thick rain, till making Cape Maria Van Diemen on Thursday last at midnight. Down the coast squally weather, with rain and lightning, was experienced. Took the pilot on board at Tiritiri, and arrived at the powder-ground at daylight on Saturday last. The following is a full list of her paasengers: — Saloon: Messrs Richards, Harkness, W. Fraiser; T. Bruce, Mary, Thomas, Jennie, and Eliza Bruce; H. Hartue, R. Barker, and William Wenings. Steerage: William Kirkpatrick, Elizabeth, Elizabeth A., Margaret, and Charles Kirkpatrick J. Evans, Sarah, Mary, Sarah, and William Evans; William Johnston, John Benson, Mary Leanning, T. W. Wilson, J. Reeve, Amelia and Mary Edwards, Mary Gordon, Bridget Fogarty, Anne Pater«on, E. Hadrill, F. A. and M. Hadrill, and William Johnston.