Search billions of records on

Otago Witness March 11th 1871

Messrs Patrick Henderson and Co.'s clipper ship Agnes Muir, under the command of Captain Anderson, who visited this port four years ago as chief officer of the Caribou, put in an appearance at the Heads on Monday morning from Glasgow, and signalled all well. The tug Geelong proceeded down and towed her up to a discharging berth on the afternoon's flood. Of her passage Captain Anderson reports that the ship left Greenock on the 3rd of December, and parted with the pilot the same night off Lamlash. Proceeded down the Irish Channel, and took her departure from Tuskar on the 5th, with a moderate breeze from the northward, which carried her across the Bay of Biscay. Strong weather from S.W. was met with off Cape St Vincent. Madeira was passed on the 17th. Had good N.E. trades, and while in the doldrums, boarded a homeward bound vessel, and sent letters home. Crossed the Equator on the 31st in long. 29 W. The S.E. trades were but middling, and at their southern border was detained by calm weather. She here passed the hull of a ship of about 1000 tons, with only her bowsprit standing (probably the hull of the vessel seen by the ship Harvest Home [Malabar from Glasgow], which arrived here from Liverpool a few days ago.) The side next the Agnes Muir from the water upwards had the appearance of iron after being red hot. This was on the 16th of January, in lat. 34.20 S., and long. 27 50 W. Fine westerly breezes then set in, and Gough's Island was passed on the 2lst, and the meridian of the Cape on the 27th of the same month. The easting was being run down on the parallel of 48 S., but on reaching 115 E., strong northerly winds prevailed, which "horsed" her down to 50deg S., in which latitude, then in 123 deg E., on the 16th February passed two icebergs. Passed the meridian of the South Cape of Tasmania on the 20th, westerly winds then died away, and were followed by light N.E. winds. The Snares were made on the morning of the 27th, when strong easterly gales detained her for three days. Moderate weather from the northward and eastward followed,  compelling her to beat the remainder of the passage. She brings 3 saloon and 83 intermediate and steerage passengere, all of whom, under the care of Dr Clark, with the exception of a few cases of whooping cough, have enjoyed good health throughout the passage.

North Otago Times (via Oamaru Times) March 31st 1871

Dry Dock at Port Chalmers - A Dunedin contemporary says:- "We understand that the Dry Dock at Port Chalmers will be ready to admit the first vessel in about a fortnight. Captain Anderson, of the Agnes Muir, being the first applicant, the Dock Trust resolved that his ship should be admitted free of charge, provided the time suits the arrangements of that vessel."