Search billions of records on

Otago Witness July 31st 1869

As supposed, the ship reported at the Heads on the 22nd inst., proved to be the Agnes Muir, one of Messrs P. Henderson and Co'a line of Clyde packets with a full cargo of general merchandise, 10 cabin, 14 intermediate, and 91 steerage passengers, the latter two classes being equal to 95 adults, of whom 27 males and 31 females are assisted emigrants. The remainder are composed of tradesmen and others, apparently of the proper material for settlement in Otago. The passengers, as will be seen by the testimonials which appear elsewhere, presented to Captain Lang and Dr Thomson, express themselves as very highly satisfied with the attention paid to their health and comfort by every one on board. Divine service was held on the Sundays, when weather would permit, by Revds Messrs Bannatyne and Wilson alternately. Evening worship was also conducted by the same gentlemen in all the departments during the week days. There were also classes for the young of all denominations. The week-day classes were well attended all the voyage, and zealously conducted by four different teachers - two ladies and two gentlemen. As to the health of the ship, Dr Thomson in his medical report notes one death having occurred - that being on the 31st, when Mary Ann Heron, aged 16 months, died of hydrocephalus acutus (water in the brain), from which she was suffering before coming on board. At the outset of the voyage the usual attacks of sea-sickness prevailed, which, however, were recovered from in due time, though several of the more delicate suffered for a considerable period. One case of scarlet fever occurred, which was at once isolated, and with proper attention to ventilation and disinfectants no spread of the fever took place. The patient was treated in the hospital, and made a very good recovery. Cases of diarrhroa during the latter part of the voyage were very prevalent, but all terminated favourably. A few cases of asthma and bronchitis occurred, one of which was admitted into the hospital, and after a fortnight's residence, was discharged quite well. Neither births nor marriages took place during the voyage, of which the following is a condensed report from the log-book. The Agnes Mnir left the Tail of the Bank off Greenock, on Wednesday, the 14th of April, at 3 p.m. The tug steamer left her five miles to the westward of Rathlin Island at 7 a.m. next day; Tory Island was passed same evening; from thence, experienced SW. and S.S.W. winds up to 28th of April, when the Island of Madeira was sighted; passed St. Antonio on the 3rd of May, and had very light N.E. trades, which were only carried to lat. 7deg. N. Variable winds and calms with much rain, then prevailed until she crossed the Equator on the 10th of May, in long. 21deg. W. In crossing the S.E. trades strong breezes prevailed, with heavy squalls from S.S.E. They were lost in lat. 23deg. S., and were followed by light winds, with the exception of one heavy southerly gale which lasted two days, until crossing the meridian of Greenwich on the 12th of June, when variable breezes set in; passed the Cape on the 16th. From the 14th to the 24th experienced N.E. winds, and thick fog. The Snares were rounded on the evening of Sunday last, the 18th inst., and the Heads were sighted on the following day, bearing W.N.W, . 30 miles; but owing to a strong breeze off the land she was not able to make the anchorage, and did not arrive inside until 5p.m. on Thursday, the 22nd. The Agnes Muir is a new iron clipper ship, of large carrying capacity, and on this, her maiden voyage, comes into port in excellent order. Shortly after arrival, the Emigration and Health Officer made an inspection, and reported "that she was well fitted and roomy, well ventilated, and that the passengers expressed themselves as having been well treated, and that the provisions were of good quality, and in quantity," The Agnes Muir, after discharging her cargo, proceeds to Newcastle to load coal for Rangoon.