Dannett ABNEY Sr.
M, b. 26 February 1657/58, d. 5 March 1733
- 6th great-grandfather of John Kennedy BROWN Jr.
Dannett ABNEY Sr. was baptised on 26 February 1658 at St. Mary's Church in Leicester, son of George ABNEY and Bathshua STRATTON.1,2
Abney Family Crest
Dannett ABNEY Sr. was born on 26 February 1657/58 in Leicester, Derbyshire, England, son of George ABNEY and Bathshua STRATTON. He was a planter and a cooper (barrel maker).
Dannett ABNEY Sr. moved from England to Abington Parish, Gloucestor County, Virginia before 1692. Later he lived in St. Margaret's Parish, King William County, as well as York, Spottsylvania, and Hanover Counties.3
In 1692 Dannett married Mary LEE, daughter of Rev. Joseph LEE and Anne _____, in England. Dannett had became engaged to Mary, his mother's stepdaugher, before sailing to America. He evidently returned to England to marry her and returned to Virginia along with her step-brother, John Lee, who had received a patent for transporting settlers to Virginia, dated 1694, Dannett included.4,5 On 20 Apr 1694 John Lee received a patent for 960 acres in the upper part of Nansemond county, on the east side of Sumerton Creek. It began on a small island on East side of said creek to the northeast side of the Cyprus Swamp, including transport of 20 persons: Dennit Abney, Mary Emerson, Hannah Haines, Elizabeth Evans, Catherine Jones, Rachell Redfera, Alice Godale, Thomas Godale, George Lawrence, Walter Wright, William Knowles, Adam Broath, John Watts, John Saterwhite, and Pallas, Attkena, Jupiter, Vulcan, Mars, Negroes.6
Dannett ABNEY Sr. was named an heir in the will of his mother, Bathshua LEE, dated on 8 January 1706 in Leicester, England. Dannett was already in Virginia by this time and never returned to England t claim his estate. The estate was escheated to the crown.7,8
On 7 Jul 1724 John Wilkins of St. George's. Parish, Spotsylvania County, Planter, to Dannett Abney, Senr., of St. Margaret's Parish, King William County, cooper, and Dannett Abney, Junr. of St. George's Parish, Spotsylvania County, carpenter. 4600 lbs. tobacco and 280 a. of land in St. Paul's Parish., Hanover County, 400 a. in St. George's. They sold the latter tract in 1733.9
Dannett ABNEY Sr. and William HILL patented 419 acres signed by King George II on 2 September 1728 in Spottsylvania County, Virginia. Dannett patented another 381 acres in the same area. He and Mary lived on a plantation in Albermarle county. After his death, Mary then living in St. Paul's Parish, Hanover County, with or near her sons sold part of these grants in Spottsylvania County to Samuel Hickman on 4 Nov 1735.4
Dannett ABNEY Sr. sold a tract of land on 4 December 1731 in Spottsylvania County, Virginia, conveying 381 acres which had been granted to him in 1728.
Dannett ABNEY Sr. left a will on 5 February 1732 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. It was proved 5 Mar 1733 in Spotsylvania County. The witnesses were Paul, Abner and Mary Abney. He named his wife, Mary, executrix, and she was to have his whole estate, which she is to leave to the children: "...it is my Desire that if ye plantation whear i now live is not Sold before my Wyfes Deathe that Shee wold give ye plantation and land belonging to it to my tow Sons paul Abney and Abner Abney..." [Sic]10
On 5 March 1733 Dannett died in Charlottesville, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, at age 75 leaving Mary a widow.11,12
Last Edited=23 Oct 2013
Children of Dannett ABNEY Sr. and Mary LEE
- George ABNEY+ b. bt 1692 - 1695, d. 1 Oct 1766
- Ursula ABNEY b. 11 Jun 1693
- Dannett ABNEY Jr.+ b. c 1695, d. 1757
- Paul ABNEY+ b. 24 Dec 1699, d. a 1786
- Dr. Abraham ABNEY+ b. 27 Dec 1702, d. a 1783
- Martha ABNEY+ b. c 1705
- Bathshua ABNEY+ b. c 1708, d. a 1773
- Abner ABNEY+ b. c 1711, d. 1752
- Mary ABNEY+ b. c 1714
- [S199] Abney Hintgen Brewer, "Abney Research," e-mail to John K. Brown, 25 January 2006.
- [S804] John Spencer, Thomas Spencer and Frederic Chapman, Leicestershire and Rutland Notes.
- [S836] Douglas Richardson and Kimball G. Everingham, Plantagenet Ancestry, pg. 35.
- [S731] Rev. Doug McIntosh, Descendants of Sir James Stanley (1392-1913), 15 Feb 2009.
- [S836] Douglas Richardson and Kimball G. Everingham, Plantagenet Ancestry, pg. 35 -- Gives marriage date of c1702 and said she was the widow of Dannett's brother, Paul.
- [S845] Nell Marion Nugent, Cavaliers and Pioneers, Vol. 1, pg. 389.
- [S732] The Bernard Family, online http://www.jerrybernard.com/BernardGenerations.htm, 15 Feb 2009.
- [S897] R. Robert Abney, "Bathshua Abney," listserve message 25 sep 2002.
- [S836] Douglas Richardson and Kimball G. Everingham, Plantagenet Ancestry, pg. 35 - [SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY DEEDS DEED BOOK A 1722-1729 page 92].
- [S345] Robert R. Abney, "Abney Family Researcher", Pg. 2.
- [S730] Order of the Crown of Charlemagne (OCC), James Madison Dean, application 2069, through ancestor Dannett Abney, accessed 15 Feb 2009.
- [S836] Douglas Richardson and Kimball G. Everingham, Plantagenet Ancestry, pg. 35 - This was the date the will was proven.
Information on this site has been gathered over many years from many sources. Although great care has been taken, inaccuracies may exist.