Martha Dandridge BALL
F, b. 9 October 1799, d. April 1822
Martha Dandridge BALL|b. 9 Oct 1799\nd. Apr 1822|p52.htm|Col. Burgess BALL|b. 28 Jul 1749\nd. 7 Mar 1800|p53.htm|Frances Ann WASHINGTON|b. 4 Jun 1763\nd. Feb 1815|p54.htm|Jeduthan BALL|b. 9 Jul 1724\nd. 5 Mar 1749||Elizabeth BURGESS|||Charles WASHINGTON|b. 2 May 1738\nd. 16 Sep 1799|p55.htm|Mildred THORNTON|b. 1737\nd. 1804|p56.htm|
- 3rd great-grandmother of John Kennedy BROWN Jr.
- Author's Pedigree Chart
Martha Dandridge BALL was born on 9 October 1799 in Leesburg, Loudoun County, Virginia, daughter of Col. Burgess BALL and Frances Ann WASHINGTON.1,2
Sacred to the memory of Martha D. Gibson, wife of J. C. Gibson, born the 9th of October 1799, died in April 1822, in the 23rd year of her age
Martha married Col. Jonathan Catlett GIBSON, son of Jonathan Catlett GIBSON III and (?) Mallory, circa 1816 in Virginia.
In the Mercer Family of Virginia papers is a deed (unexecuted), undated, of John Francis Mercer to the children of Burgess Ball: Charles Burgess Ball, Fayette Ball, Frances Washington Ball, George Washington Ball, Martha Dandridge (Ball) Gibson, and Mildred Thornton (Ball) Thompson for 125 acres in Loudoun County, Virginia. John Francis Mercer was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence.3
Martha Dandridge BALL died in April 1822 in Culpeper Courthouse, Virginia, at age 22.4 She was buried in St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Culpeper County, Virginia. Her marker reads: "SACRED to the memory of Martha D. Gibson, Wife of J. C. Gibson, Born the 9th of October 1799, Died in April 1822 in the 23rd year of her age."5,4
Last Edited=14 Jun 2008
Children of Martha Dandridge BALL and Col. Jonathan Catlett GIBSON
- [S376] Rootsweb, online http://www.rootsweb.com, LiRae W. Sullins <e-mail address> 21 Oct 2000.
- [S696] Find A Grave (website), online http://www.findagrave.com, Martha D. Gibson, St. Stephen's Episcopal Church.
- [S641] Ante-Bellum Southern Plantations, online http://www.lexisnexis.com/academic/guides/southern_hist/…, Mss1M3545a, Mercer Family Papers, 1656-1869, section 37.
- [S635] St. Stephen's Cemetery, online http://www.rootsweb.com/~vacgs/ststephencemetery.htm, accessed 6/27/2007.
- [S130] Raleigh T. Green, Culpeper Genealogical Notes, section II, pg. 80.
Information on this site has been gathered over many years from many sources. Although great care has been taken, inaccuracies may exist.