Sophia Weston BURT
F, b. 28 July 1801, d. 11 July 1890
- 2nd great-grandaunt of John Kennedy BROWN Jr.
Sophia Weston BURT was born on 28 July 1801 in Halifax County, North Carolina, daughter of Joseph BURT Jr. and Ann READ.1,2
Timothy & Sophia Burt Mathews
Sophia Weston BURT appeared on a census, enumerated 1 June 1810, in the household of Joseph BURT Jr. and Ann READ in Halifax County, North Carolina.3
Sophia married Timothy Walton MATHEWS, son of John MATHEWS and Mary "Polly" BURT, on 16 July 1822 in Washington, Autauga County, Alabama.2,1 As Dr. Samuel P. Smith recorded, the couple "lived in the neighborhood of Washington several years, engaged in farming, and in 1827 [Timothy] merchandised in Washington. After that he ran the river sometimes as pilot and sometimes as Captain of steamboats. After leaving Washington he moved to Wilcox County, where he farmed, and from thence he moved to Mobile, where he died about a year ago. He had nine children all sons, but three are living. [In 1885] Mrs. Mathews still lives with her son, James, in Mobile."4
Sophia Weston BURT was named an heir in the will of Joseph BURT Jr. dated 30 November 1840 in Autauga County, Alabama.5
Sophia Weston BURT and Timothy Walton MATHEWS appeared as head of household on a census enumerated 1 June 1850 in Wilcox County, Alabama. The household was listed as T. W. Mathews, a 48 year old farmer who born in Georgia. He owned real estate valued at $600. Sophia Mathews, his wife, was 46 years old and born in North Carolina. Children were James H., a 22 year old farmer; Robert W., age 18; Doctor E. [Issac?], age 13; Francis M., age 11; Fletcher, age 8; and Nancy, age 3. All were born in Alabama. Living with them was R. Taylor, a 25 year old merchant, born in Alabama. Living next door was Joseph Mathews, a warehouse keeper, and the son of Timothy and Sophia.6
Sophia Weston BURT and Timothy Walton MATHEWS appeared as head of household on a census enumerated 18 September 1860 in Mobile, Alabama. The household was listed as Timothy W. Mathews, a 60 year old minister, born in Georgia. He had real estate valued at $4,500 and personal property valued at $22,000. According to the slave census he owned 27 slaves. His wife, Sophia W., was 55 and born in North Carolina. Living with them were their sons Robert W., a 22 year old clerk, and Fletcher F., age 16. Living next door was their son Timothy L. Mathews and his family.7
Sophia Weston BURT and Timothy Walton MATHEWS appeared as head of household on a census enumerated 18 July 1870 in Ward 7, Mobile, Alabama. The household was listed as Timothy Mathews, a 64 year-old feed store operator, and his wife, Sophia, age 60. Timothy had real estate valued at $10,000 and personal property worth $2,000. They had two sons living with them, Robert, age 30, who worked in the feed store, and Fletcher, 23, a steam boat mate. The two boys owned real estate valued at $3,000 and $2,800 respectively. Also living in the household were a mulato cook, Nancy Thompson of Virginia, 39, and her sons Howard, 7, and William, 10, who were employed by the Mathews as domestic servants.8
Sophia Weston BURT and Timothy Walton MATHEWS appeared as head of household on a census enumerated 12 June 1880 in Julia Street, 8th Ward, Port of Mobile, Alabama. The household was listed as Timothy W. Matthews, 80, retired merchant, who was born in Georgia. His parents were born in North Carolina. Sophia W. Matthews, 76, his wife, was born in North Carolina as were her parents. Living with them as a domestic servant was Nancy Davis, a 45 year old white female, born in Virginia.9
Sophia Weston BURT died on 11 July 1890 in Mobile, Alabama, at age 88.10 She was buried in Mathews Cemetery, Toulminville, Mobile County, Alabama.
Last Edited=16 Jun 2008
Children of Sophia Weston BURT and Timothy Walton MATHEWS
- Joseph John Jackson MATHEWS b. 22 May 1823, d. 1 Dec 1850
- Timothy Washington Lafayette MATHEWS b. 17 Sep 1825, d. 3 Jul 1883
- James Wade Hawkins MATHEWS b. 23 Jan 1827, d. 11 Feb 1910
- Munson Sturges Deloraine MATHEWS b. 6 Jan 1830, d. 6 Mar 1831
- Robert William Chambliss MATHEWS+ b. 1 Mar 1833, d. 11 Nov 1890
- Hugh Lawson White MATHEWS b. 20 May 1835, d. 4 Jul 1835
- Isaac Edward MATHEWS b. 12 Nov 1836, d. 7 Sep 1853
- Francis Marion MATHEWS b. 30 Jan 1845, d. 19 Sep 1853
- Fletcher MATHEWS b. 30 Jan 1845, d. 6 Jan 1924
- Nancy MATHEWS b. 1847
- [S181] Helen S. Foley, Marriage and Death Notices from Alabama Newspapers and Family Records, 1819-1890.
- [S97] Timothy Walton Mathews family Bible.
- [S414] 1810 U. S. Census, Halifax County, North Carolina, Joseph Burt, pg. 8.
- [S417] Interview, Mrs. Martha Mathews, 1885.
- [S404] Autauga County Probate Records RB 4: pg. 252, 409.
- [S54] 1850 U. S. Census, Wilcox County, Alabama, T. W. Mathews household No. 55.
- [S562] 1860 U. S. Census, Mobile County, Timothy W. Mathews household #503, pg. 195.
- [S563] 1870 U. S. Census, Mobile County, Timothy Mathews household #1218, pg. 296.
- [S561] 1880 U. S. Census, Mobile County, Timothy W. Matthews household #62, ED 134, pg. 280A.
- [S81] Sandi Heath, "Burt-Mathews Family Information."
Information on this site has been gathered over many years from many sources. Although great care has been taken, inaccuracies may exist.