Maude Thompson Ballentine was the mother of Lester, Merle, Orville, William, and Garnett Robbins Ballentine. Their grandmother was Mary Ann Smith, born to Martin and Ann Smith in Muskingum County, Ohio, on January 23, 2852. She died in Topeka in February 1944.
Mary Ann married George M. Thompson on December 29, 1870. They had five children: Charley, Minnie, Orpha, Maude and Mary. Mary Ann was baptized when she was seventeen into the Baptist faith at New Concord, Ohio; they had to break the ice to do it.
James P. Baskett was born in Shelby County, KY, November 11, 1824. when he was a boy, the family moved to Missouri. In 1852, he came to Leavenworth County, KS, where he lived until 1870, settling on a farm in Center Township. In 1880, he moved to a farm in Vienna Township.
He was married to Miss Florence Beagle in August, 1850, at Weston MO. They had one daughter, Alice (Mrs. Charles) Day.
Henry Clay Bellows, son of Charles Bellows and Hepzibah Damon, was born August 5, 1829, in Freedom, ME, and died January 24, 1884, in Havensville. He was married in Marshalltown. IA, to Regina Martha Horlacher, daughter of Semes Horlacher. She was born January 24, 1845, in Pennsylvania, and died in 1926, in Havensville. Both are buried in Falrview Cemetery.
Henry Clay Bellows attended an academy in his hometown of Freedom, ME, before joining the Union Army. After the war he started west. Following his marriage in Marshalltown, IA, Henry and Martha settled near Havensville. He was the first teacher at the Buck's Grove School. He died of pneumonia, leaving Martha with four little girls to raise. she worked for other people and farmed with part-time help from her brother, Ben Horlacher. A belated pension came in 1890, so the hard times were over for them. To add to their good fortune, the oldest daughter, Hepsy, at the age of fifteen, taught the lower grades in the St. Clere School.
Their children, the first two born in Vienna and the others in Havensville, were: Hepsy D. born November 16, 1873, married in 1893 to Will Middleton, died March 15, 1913; Sarah, born March 11, 1875, died April 11, 1875 in Vienna; Martha, born in 1879, died September 30, 1889; Mary, born in 1880, married Edd Miller (son of Adolph and Anna Miller) in 1908, died in 1958; Emma, born April 9, 1882, married Ora Otis Wilson (son of James and Marietta Wilson) November 27, 1902; died January 8, 1968.
William Berges was born March 28, 1838, at Dorf-Itter Hessen-Darmstadt, Germany. He came to America in 1868, and married Wilhelmine Kamm in Milwaukee, WI, May 242, 1869. She was born November 3, 1845, in Germany, and came to america in 1868 locating in Milwaukee.
Their first child, Wilhelmine Marie (Mrs. William F. Wegner) was born in Milwaukee October 28, 1870. Soon after, the family left Wisconsin to make their home at Onaga. They came by train to Centralia and William walked to Onaga to get a team and wagon from his brother and returned to Centralia the next day for his wife and young daughter.
Mr. Berges stepbrother, Ernest Klinkert, who had no family, had arrived earlier in Kansas to homestead and built a shanty near the corner of the present farm of Dale Berges. Ernest did not like homesteading in Kansas, so he sold the farm to William and returned to Wisconsin and his work in the brewery business. The William Berges family lived in the shanty a few years and then built a log house where they lived about eight years until the present rock house was built (before 1865). William and Wilhelmine had eleven children, six sons and five daughters.
Around 1894, a couple challenged the deed of the Berges homestead and built a shanty so they could claim it; but several hundred friends and relatives from Duluth, Wheaton, and Onaga came with firearms to protect the Berges homestead and the couple left. Mr. and Mrs. Berges remained on the homestead until he died November 2, 1920. Mrs. Berges continued living on the home place with her son, Otto, and his family until her death June 11, 1937. Wilhelmine, wife of William Wegner (both deceased) lived on a farm five miles southwest of Onaga until they retired to a home in Duluth. Henry married Pauline Kolterman, daughter of William and Amelia (Nicolas) Kolterman. They lived on a farm southwest of Onaga where their youngest son, Glen, now lives.
Bertha, wife of William Kufahl, lived on a farm northeast of Wheaton. They were the parents of three sons, Loring, Alfonso, and Walter. Lizzie, wife of Albert Brunner, lived west of Onaga until they moved to Bloomfield, CO.
John married Emma Kolterman, daughter of William and Amelia Nicholas Kolterman. they lived south of Onaga where their son, Roy, now lives. Annie, wife of Albert Kufahl, lived on a farm northeast of Wheaton until they retired and moved to Wheaton.
Frank, and his wife, Myrtle Rollenhagen Kolterman, lived in Duluth. Martha, wife of Herman Honig, lived on farm north of Onaga where Walter Kuehl now lives.
Bertha, wife of Otto Kolterman, son of August and Wilhelmine Brunkow Kolterman, lived on a farm five miles northwest of Onaga until they retired to Onaga.
Effie, wife of Otto Berges. (Mentioned in Otto Berges Family). August, lived in Lawrence. He married Louise Armstrong and, after her death, he married Charlsea Wilson.
(E-Mail for a full length copy of this family information.)
Frank A. Brown was born in Median County, Ohio, November 13, 1843. During the Civil War, he served in Company K, 42nd Ohio Volunteer Infantry -- Garfield's Regiment, and the 86th Ohio Infantry.
He married Ella Hicks of Wellington, Ohio, in 1866. They came to Vienna in 1869, by railroad car instead of the usual team or yoke of oxen. They homesteaded their farm in the southeast corner of Section 20, Vienna Township. Frank built a temporary house of poles stuck in the ground and boarded up with lumber made of logs he had hauled to Zimmerman's sawmill on the DeGraw place.
He bought 160 acres of additional land from the railroad some time after he came here, and built a better house into which the family moved the following winter. They lived all of their lives on this farm.
Their children were: Fred M., Pearl, and Ruby. Mrs. Brown died in 1915, and Mr. Brown died in 1922.
Fred Brown married Cora Guffy. They lived for a while in Section 21, Vienna Township. In December 1913, they moved the house to the northeast corner of Section 27. Their children were: Beulah, Birdie, Hale, Carol, Shirley, Aldene, and Cleon. Fred died in 1944, and Cora died in 1957. Pearl married Allen Hardy. They had three children -- Harold, Lloyd, and Earl(who was killed by a horse when he was very young). Ruby taught many years in the rural schools and also in many of the high schools in the county. she married Everett Knight.
Otto Brunkow was born July 1, 1899, near Onaga, the son of Ferdinand and Augusta Marie Wege Brunkow. Otto's mother was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Wege, and she came with her parents from Germany (where she was born September 3, 1869) to the United States in 1878. they settled on a farm three miles northwest of Onaga. She died September 16, 1952. She had eight children: two preceded her in death. She was survived by two daughters: Goldie and Marie; and four sons, John, Otto, Edward, and Richard. She is buried in the Onaga Cemetery.
William F. Brunkow was born March 11, 1831, in Doelitz, Pomerania, Germany. There he was married June 11, 1857, to Karoline Zabel who was born June 30, 1835.
Mr. Brunkow, his wife, and six children set out in 1868 to find a new home in America. After five weeks on the ocean, they arrived in New York and started immediately for Neuchatel, KS. They homesteaded 80 acres of land near Duluth. That land cost $15 and had nothing on it except the trail of other wagons. Mr. Brunkow died February 21, 1913, and Mrs. Brunkow died July 20, 1930. They are buried at Duluth.
The family consisted of ten children, the first six born in Germany, and the others born near Duluth. They are: August, born 1857, married Louisa Miller, died 1926; William, born 1859, married Emilie Wege, died 1936; Wilhelmine, born 1862, married August Kolterman, died 1953; Herman, born 1864, married Jane Lamboley, died in Wisconsin; Ferdinand, born 1866, married Helena Hartwick, died 1935; Pauline, born 1868, married Herman Honig, died 1956; Albert, born 1871, married Minnie Henneberg, died 1947; Matilda, born 1873, married Herman Teske, died 1916; Frank Edward, born 1876, died 1952; Theresa, born 1881, married William Honig, died 1957.
Frank E. Brunkow was born and spent most of his life in the family homestead, the farm where Richard Abitz now lives. Frank;s first marriage was to Amelia Kolterman, who died in 1904. For their children, refer to the William and Amelia Kolterman story. Frank's second wife was Marie Itter, daughter of John and Elizabeth Germaroth Itter. She was born in 1885, and died in 1965. They had five children: Evelyn, born in 1915, Meryl, born 1916, Arlyn, born 1919, Orville M., born 1921, and Alice. John and Elizabeth Itter came to the United States from Germany in 1885, and went to Herkimer, KS. They went to Oklahoma and homesteaded land, and came to Duluth about 1908. They opened a restaurant at the present Clarence Teske home.
Elizabeth died in 1918, and John died in 1937.
William F. Brunkow, Jr. was born September 19, 1859, in Germany and died in 1936. He married Emilie Wege, who was born in Germany September 3, 1869. She died in 1934. They had five children: Ida, born April 12, 1889, married Otto Teske, died in 1952; Leonard Brunkow died in infancy; Elsie Brunkow married Edward Teske; Arthur F. W. (see John Honig Family); Lydia was born September 3, 1893, lived in Duluth.
Michael F. Hartwich and his wife, Mina, came from Germany in 1856 to Wisconsin. A year later they came to Kansas. Mr. Hartwich's name was originally Hartwig, but the clerk of the court who took care of the naturalization papers spelled it Hartwich, so the name changed. Their children were Fred, Ferdinand and Herman F. In 1869, Michael married Sophia Nicholas. Their children were: Anna, Ida and Helena.
Helena Paulina Hartwich was born April 5, 1873. She married Ferdinand Frederick Brunkow, son of J. Fred and Minnie Brunkow, April 6, 1893. He was born September 25, 1866, in Germany. they farmed for awhile and then moved to Onaga.
He worked for the Union Pacific and she was a nurse. Their children were: Clara, (see John Graf story); and Flora Elsa (See Arthur L. Zabel family story). They also cared for John and August Haller.
Aaron and Anna French Cass lived in the New England states and raised five children in the 1800s. Of these children, one son, Aaron Jefferson, born September 18, 1830, traveled westward to Illinois. He married Sarah Jane Wheeler. Their children were: Sarah, Aaron Jacob, Edwin B., Miles Dighton, John, Martha, and Ida.
Michael Frederick Hartwick and wife Mina came from Germany with their family in 1856. they lived in Wisconsin a year before moving to this area with their sons: Frederich (born December 16, 1841, in Germany), Ferdinand F. and Herman F. They settled on the farm now occupied by Mrs. Emile F. Cass. Frederich married Sophia Nicklas in 1869. Their children were: Annie, Ida, Helena, Lizzie, Herman, Edward and Robert.
Ida Theresa Hartwick was born March 17, 1871, on a farm near Onaga. She was left motherless at age 15.
Miles Dighton Cass was born in Paw Paw, IL, on July 5, 1866. At the age of three, his family moved to Nebraska and then on to Kansas. Most of his life he lived near Onaga. He and Ida Theresa Hartwick were married on July 15, 1888. This union was blessed with three children: William Henry, Sarah Sophia, and Emile F. They resided on a farm north of Onaga nearly all their married life. Miles Dighton Cass died March 23, 1931. Ida Theresa Cass died January 31, 1944. William Henry Cass was born July 17, 1889. On April 22, 1914, he married Lizzie Marten. Three children were born to this union: a son, the first born, died at birth; Mildred Ida, born October 21, 1916; and Luella Minerva, born May 6, 1919.
Sarah Sophia Cass, born January 1, 1891, and Jasper C. Bonjour, born November 30, 1886, son of Fred and Millie Bonjour of Neuchatel and one of four children, were married at Onaga on March 12, 1908. they farmed near the Onaga and Centralia communities where they reared their children: Melvin Henry, born December 23, 1908; Lester Miles, born September 23, 1910; and Sophia Sarah, born October 2, 1913. These children remained in northeast Kansas to marry and raise their families.
Melvin married Bessie Bernice Walters and raised two children: Roland C. and Donna Sue. Lester married Helen Banta and reared one son, Harold Marvin. Sophia Sarah married John William Armstrong and raised one daughter, Diana Kay.
Sophia Sarah died November 29, 1974; Lester Miles died January 11, 1975; Jasper C. died October 22, 1975; and John William Armstrong died in November 1972.
Emile F. Cass was born January 16, 1893, on the farm he was farming at the time of his death, June 28, 1964. Besides farming, he worked with the ASC Department of Pottawatomie County for 30 years, and served as Mill Creek Township trustee for many years. He taught elementary school in the Pleasant Valley, Little Red Hen, and White Pigeon Districts before enlisting in the army where he served in Germany and France.
On April 12, 1924, Emile F. and Waunita Alice Perrussel, born March 15, 1904, were married at Holton. One of eleven children, her parents were Julius R. and Pauline Emily Bonjour Perrussel of Neuchatel. This union was blessed with four children: two sons, Vincent Miles, born March 29, 1926, and one stillborn; two daughters, Genevieve Emily, born April 145, 1925, and Marilyn Yvonne, born April 17, 1935.
William Clark and John Wright came from Ayre, Scotland in 1870, and bought a section of land (23-7-10) in Sherman Township, Pottawatomie County. they purchased this land from the railroad for $7 per acre for the east half containing Coal Creek, and $3.50 per acre for the west half. Mr. Wright took the south half and Mr. Clark took the north half. Both men were carpenters and worked the winter of 1870, on a giant door at the depot in Chicago, following the Chicago fire. Both returned and farmed until 1909, when they retired and moved to Onaga.
William Clark, son of Robert and mary Mulligan Clark, was born at Ayre, Scotland March 4, 1845, and died in December 1928. He is buried at Fox Cemetery.
He had four children by his first wife, Jane Neely, who died after the birth of their daughter, Agnes. He then married her sister, Mary Neely, and to this union eight children were born. They were all born at the farm home.
David Clark was born August 19,1893, on the farm near Onaga. He attended grade school at Arispie. At that time, country schools held class seven months and city schools held class eight months. All country grade schools were required to have nine grades in order to qualify their students for high school. David attended nine years at Arispie and four years at Onaga, graduating in the spring of 1913. He worked in the Louie Berges Drug Store from 1913 through 1914, and on his brother John's farm until he joined the Army May 4, 1917.
He served in the first anti-aircraft battalion near Paris, France. He was discharged in March, 1918, and returned to work on his father's farm. He was married to Margaret Nightengale August 3, 1922. They purchased the farm after his father's death in 1928.
Dave and Margaret raised six children: Delbert, Betty, Lawrence, Loral, Edward and Ross. They retired to Onaga in October of 1948, and Margaret died in June of 1950. He then married Carrie Williams Ringleman July 4, 1966.
D. A. Cook was born in Seneca County, NY, April 12, 1840. He was a farmer, and was educated at an academy. He enlisted on April 13, 1861 in Company I, 33rd N. Y. Volunteer Infantry, serving two years as orderly sergeant. He enlisted again in the 22nd Cavalry, and served throughout the war.
In 1869, he came to Kansas and settled on a farm in Vienna Township. He was married to Miss Lydia N. Thompson in Douglas County, KS, September 15, 1870.
They had two children: Mabel, born October 4, 1876; and Arthur, born August 3, 1881.
John and Catherine Crumbaker were married in the Old Dominion and lived in that state until they moved to Ohio. They reared a family of ten children. The youngest child was Andrew, who was born in Ohio about the year 1825. In Muskingum County, on August 11, 1850, he married Elizabeth Valentine, daughter of Alexander and Mary (Taylor) Valentine. She was born on February 5, 1825. Alexander was four years old when he went with his father, Hugh, to the Buckeye State, where the family made their home in the wild, wooded regions of Coshocton county. Alexander had been a cattle drover over the Alleghany Mountains for several years.
Andrew and Elizabeth remained in Ohio until the early part of 1854, when he started for the Pacific coast via the ocean and isthmus route, and his wife accompanied her parents to Iowa.
Andrew experienced many hardships, being nearly lost at sea when the ship was almost wrecked in a storm. He spent six years in California in the mining regions, returning as he had gone, and joined his wife in Iowa.
In 1862, Andrew enlisted in Company H, 23rd Iowa Infantry and went at once to the front. He participated in many engagements and was promoted to Captain. The hardships of Army life affected his health. He started for home on a leave of Absence, and died on a boat on the Mississippi River on July 3, 1863. He was buried in Memphis, TN.
Andrew and Elizabeth had three children, William H., Oliver P. and A. J. Crumbaker. William was born in Ohio April 20, 1852, and reared to manhood near Winterset, IA. He came to Vienna Township in November, 1880, and purchased 469 acres in section 29, in 1884. His youngest brother, A. J. was his partner in farming and stock raising.
A. J. married Miss H. J. Taylor. They had a son, Charles A. Oliver P. married Miss Anna Miles. They had a daughter, Bessie A. Oliver owned a restaurant in Onaga.
Josiah Davis was born in Ypsilanti, Michigan, October 29, 1840. He went west with his family as far as Salt Lake City, Utah, when he was 13 years old. He then came to Kansas and worked for the government by joining wagon trains that hauled supplies to the forts on the Oregon Trail. When the Civil War broke out, he joined the Kansas Infantry, but later transferred to Company F, 4th Regiment of the U. S. Cavalry. After the war, he took a homestead on Otter Creek in Riley County.
On October 8, 1872, he married Malvina Catherine Caley of Riley County. She was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 20, 1838, came to Kansas in the early 1870s, and was mistress of the Alert Post Office in the home of her brother and his wife, Charles and Carrie Caley.
In 1866, Josiah traded his farm for the farm on the north side of Section 13, Vienna Township, owned by the Reverend Lewis E. Sikes. They moved there on March 17, 1886, and lived most of their lives on this place. During their later years they lived in Onaga. He died January 3, 1919, and she died July 11, 1921. Both are buried in Vienna Cemetery.
Their children were Clark A., Daniel, and Luella. Clark was born January 3, 1872, and died July 4, 1944. He married Ida McGuire, daughter of Levi and Nancy McGuire, March 7, 1896. She was born August 10, 1876, and died January 16, 1969. They were farmers in the Vienna community. They are buried in the Vienna cemetery.
Their children were Lloyd W. and Otis. Lloyd was born October 4, 1896. He died July 29, 1974. He was a veteran of world War I. He married Mary Genevieve Henderson in 1920. She died November 30, 1972.
Their children were: Clair, who served in World War II and was killed in action January 18, 1945; Lyle, who married Treva Armstrong, and had three children -- Kyle, who married Laura McGranahan, and had a daughter, Leann and a son, Curtis. Freda is a public school administrator in food service in Wilmington, Del,. Of her children, Carol is an architect, Maureen is an attorney, and Freda a Physical therapist. Dr. Otis Mumaw married Emily Wilkerson on August 26, 1929. She was born August 12, 1908, at Concordia. They had no children. She died June 2, 1970. Later, Otis married Lucille Haddock of Kansas City. Otis studied at Washburn and Kansas University and earned his doctorate at Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. He spent his life in music and school administration. He is nationally know as a hand bell solo ringer, clinician, and conductor. He received a citation from the Federated Music Clubs of Kansas for 48 years of community service.
Luella Mumaw was born August 19, 1884. She worked in the Schwarz and Lynn Store at Onaga and also in Topeka. She moved back to Onaga in 1964, and lived there until her death October 12, 1980.
Daniel Jonas, born September 27, 1887, was married to Ethal Ann Taylor April 2, 1913, at Onaga. They settled on the farm homesteaded by his father in Vienna Township. Their children were Alta Hattie born December 19, 1915; Esta Susanna, born April 25, 1918; and Dean Taylor, born January 23,1924.
Moses Day, Sr., the first settler in what is now Vienna Township, was a native of France. He came to the United States at the age of five. He lived in Ohio and Illinois and came to Kansas from Boone County, IA, to his claim on the southwest quarter of Section 23, Vienna Township, on May 11, 1857, with his wife, Mary Jane Smith Day and his eldest son, Charles. Their other children were all born in Kansas. Mary Ann Day, born September 20, 1857, was the first white child born in Vienna Township. The other children were Thomas, Martha, Frank, Fred, and Moses Day, Jr. They lived in their covered wagon while they built their log cabin.
The Potawatomi Indian Reservation was just south of them. One time Mr. Day had gone on a buffalo hunt, and when Mrs. Day went after the cows in the evening she heard an Indian horse bell. Indians had a custom of putting bells on their horses. She had left the children at home and she was afraid for their safety. When she got closer to home, she saw a very dark Indian sitting on the woodpile, holding her baby. Everything was all right. He wanted to swap venison for flour.
Mr. Day acquired many acres of land and also many cattle and horses. He served one term as sheriff and was a lieutenant in the Army during Price's raid. Moses Day, Jr., was born October 11, 1869, on the family farm and spent his entire life there. On October 15, 1891, he married Alunda Barbara Hayes, who was born in Caldwell County, MO, June 11, 1872, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Hayes. They were the parents of two daughters, Velma and Lorna. Mr. Day died June 3, 1932, and Alunda died July 7, 1932.
Velma married James M. Clark. They farmed south of Onaga. He died November 3, 1941. Their son, Kenneth, passed away June 26, 1922. Lorna married George Thomas Malone and is spoken of in the Malone story.
Frank Day, Sr. and his wife, Harriet, came to Vienna Township from Illinois in 1861, in a covered wagon drawn by oxen. Their children, John, Lewis, Ham and Martin came with them. Moses (Dope), William, and Rhetta were born here. On July 3, 1869, several settlers decided to have a picnic on Independence Day. John Day and his cousin Charles Day, and Oliver Meskimens went to Frank Day's place to get a sheep for the dinner. Several got on horses to cross the Vermillion River at the Day crossing. The water was deep and swift from recent rains. John Day, 21, fell from his horse into the water and drowned. This was a sad Independence Day for the pioneers.Moses (Dope) Day was born February 26, 1866. He married Louise Catherine Engelbrecht. They lived in the Fairview community and later moved to a farm in Section 22, Vienna Township, west of Victory school house. They had three children: Lewis, Hazel and Ethel.
Moses Day died December 11, 1952, at the home of his daughter, Ethel, when he was 86 years old.
Dope farmed with horses until 1940, when he rented his farm to Carl Kocher when he was old, the Kochers looked after him, taking him food and supplies when the road was muddy or blocked by snow drifts. One winter, Dope made a big wooden box and used it for a sled. He hitched his horse to it and sometimes came across the pasture to Carl Kocher's for his meals and supplies. He made a wooden brake and fastened it on the side of the box, so it wouldn't run up on the horse.
Glen Grossnickle married Kathleen Doyle, daughter of Thomas and Fina Ingalsbe Doyle, Wheaton, on February 20, 1924. Glenn was a farmer and stockman until his retirement when they moved to Onaga. They are the parents of Jean, who married Dr. Joe Ridgeway, LaVon married Lloyd Flowers, Glenn Jr. spent some time in the United states Army before he married Joyce Reed, and John, who also served in the U. S. Army, married Elvina Thompson.
William P. Eytchison was born in North Carolina September 22, 1816. His family moved to Indiana where he grew to manhood and married Elizabeth Mohler.
All of their children were born there except the two youngest. They came to Mill Creek Township in May 1857, and entered a claim to land on either side of French Creek in Section 23. They drove through with a team of horses and for several years was the only man on French Creek owning horses. Two of their sons, William and Elsberry, served in the Civil War in a Kansas Regiment.
Their youngest son, Stephen Andrew,was born April 14, 1860, in a log cabin two and one-half miles north east of Onaga on their farmstead. He married Mary Frances Noble; they had five children, Stephen was a farmer and stockman for many years and retired to Onaga in 1915. He served two terms as mayor of Onaga. Orville Glen Eytchison was born October 8, 1893. On May 29, 1918, he enlisted in the U. S. Navy. He was assigned to Company C, 2nd regiment, Camp Dewey, Illinois, at the Great Lakes Training Station where he remained until his death September 29, 1918. He is buried in the Onaga Cemetery.
Vivian E. Eytchison was born March 30, 1892. On May 6, 1922, she married Olcott Wyllie Sage. They were the parents of three children: Olcott Wyllie Sage, Jr. who died in 1923; Stephen Samuel Sage, and Mary Margo Eddy.
Ira Wellington Fairbanks, son of Mahlon and Amanda Claypool Fairbanks, and his wife, Carolina Albin, daughter of Robert and Sarah Heath Albin, moved to Onaga from the Havensville and St. Clere communities in the early 1930's. The Fairbanks and Heath ancestors came to America from England in 1632, and settled in Massachusetts. They later migrated west.
Ira and Carolina had eleven children -- three boys and eight girls. One of the daughters died in infancy. Their other children were Mrs. Walter (Clara) teske, Mrs. Ferdinand (Lulu) Niehaus, Mrs. Goodlet (Anna) Bonjour, Mrs Lloyd (Elsie) Kelly, Mrs. Vernon (Evelyn) Slocum, Mrs. Violet Biggs, Mrs. Don (Viola) Tuttle, Don Fairbanks, and Raymond Fairbanks. James Fairbanks died in 1979.
Clarence A. Fairbanks was born at St. Clere June 17, 1886, the son of John and Ruth Fairbanks. He was from a family of four girls and nine boys. Their names were: Myrtle, Ruby, Lena, and Grace; Ed, Sam, Frank, Clarence, Dick, Pete, Lloyd, Vernon, and Jack.
Voilet L. Grossnickle was born October 5, 1886, on a farm three miles south of Onaga, the daughter of John and Mate Grossnickle. Clarence and Violet were married February 15, 1911, at Topeka. They set up housekeeping on the west side of the Vermillion, four miles south of Onaga. After the first five years, they moved across to the east side of the Vermillion near the Vienna School. This is where they raised their family and spent the rest of their years.
They were the parents of seven children: Sadie, Lynn, Rheva, Douglas, Hazel, Lucille and Dorothy. Clarence was a farmer and livestock feeder. Clarence Fairbanks died April 9, 1954, and Violet died December 19, 1977. They are both buried in the Onaga Cemetery.
William Frederick Falk was born January 25, 1861, in Doelitz Province, Pomerania, Germany. He was the son of Gottlieb and Johanna Tessendorf Falk. He came to America at the age of 23, and settled on a farm southeast of Wheaton, where his son, Arthur, now lives. He died January 7, 1947, at the age of 85. He was married to Agnes Kopplin on June 1, 1899. Agnes also came from Germany. She was born August 6, 1881, and died November 17, 1957.
They had seven children: Arthur, Wheaton, married Elsie Honig. Oscar married Caroline Marten Figge. Almon married Marjorie Paige. Frances, who died January 9, 1973, was married to Edwin Kufahl. Lester, who died January 16, 1976, was married to Lois Minsch. William married Gail Smith. One daughter, Alice, died at the age of two years.
Fred Ferguson was born January 17, 1866, at Louisville, KS, and died June 8, 1966. He spent most of his life in Pottawatomie County, and for awhile, lived south of Onaga. He married Nellie Olive Shuberg (born September 11, 1888), daughter of Nels and Clara Shuberg of Marquette, KS. She died March 20, 1957. Their children were: Mrs. George King, Floyd, Cecil, Wayne, Harold, and Thomas. Cecil and Aldeen had two boys. They were both born in the Onaga community and both served in the armed forces of our country.
James Gorman, a native of Belfast, Ireland, arrived in the United States in 1840. He came to Vienna from Illinois in 1866, and took a homestead in the southwest corner of Section 10, Vienna Township. He and Lamuel Guffy drove through with a mule team. In 1869, he broke 82 acres of land for his neighbors, using three yoke of oxen, and was helped by Frank Huston, who drove the oxen. Rattlesnakes were plentiful as he turned up and killed thirty-two of them that summer while breaking prairie.
He served in the Civil War in Company G, 102 Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He made the March to the Sea with General Sherman.
He married Mary A. Auld from southwest of Frankfort in June, 1870. Because of the drouth and grasshoppers, he hitched up to a wagon and he and his wife drove back to Illinois in the fall of 1874, returning to his farm in the spring of 1875.
Besides being a farmer, he also did carpentry work. The Gormans lived south of Onaga until 1902, when they moved to the Old Soldiers Home at Dodge City. Mrs. Gorman was a sister of Martha (Mattie) Lieb. Mr. Gorman's sister, Sarah, married James Guffy, who lived in Onaga on West Third Street.
Henry John Graf, son of Hohn and Margaret Graf, was born March 29, 1864, in Glatfelden-Kenstang Zurich, Switzerland. He came to America alone at the age of 16, and worked for his uncle, Jacob Graf, southwest of Wheaton to pay for his trip. Henry also had an aunt, Jocob Graf's sister, a Mrs. Winkler, who was Con Winkler and Christine Winkler Hartwick's mother. Mrs. Winkler was living in the Wheaton vicinity at the time. Henry later worked for Herman Hartwick and courted Elizabeth Mitze.
Elizabeth (Lizzie) Mitze, daughter of Adam and Louisa Seine (Gattin) Mitze was born March 28, 1869, on the Mitze homestead, located two miles west and one- third mile south of Mill Creek Bridge. Lizzie had three sisters -- Katie (Mrs. John)Berges, Minnie (Mrs. Albert)Kocher, and Emma (Mrs. August)Zechser. Lizzie Mitze and Henry Graf were married March 11, 1890, and made their first home in a cabin on the Gonski place, approximately one-half mile southeast of Duluth, where their first child, Ernest, was born.
A year or so later, they bought eighty acres southwest of Onaga, commonly called the "east place", located one mile south and one-half mile west of Mill Creek Bridge, and moved there to farm. Their children, Joh, Louise, George, Frank, Walter, Otto, Marie, Henry, and Theodore, were born in this home. This farm became known as the "east place" when Mr. and Mrs. Graf moved to the Mitze home place (which was called the west place) located one and one-half miles west and approximately two-thirds of a mile north of the east place. Their youngest son, Lawrence, was born at this home. The family farmed both places for many years.
Lizzie and Henry Graf celebrated their fiftieth wedding anniversary March 11, 1940.
Lizzie died August 22, 1944, at the age of 75. Henry, 84, died August 2, 1948. Both are buried in Duluth cemetery.
Ernest John Graf, born December 21, 1890, enlisted in the U. S. Navy December 12, 1917, and was sent to Brest, France during World War I. He was discharged November 23,1919. Ernest and Helen Ritchie (born November 8, 1899) to Eugene and Maude THompson Newman) were married October 19, 1920. To this union, two sons and one daughter were born -- Ernest, Jr., Robert, and Pearl. Pearl was killed in an automobile accident in Onaga in 1930, at the age of six.
After their marriage, Ernie and Helen farmed in the Neuchatel community. Ernie went into the trucking business in 1928, and the family moved to Onaga. In 1936, they bought Burt's Place from "Hobbie" Burt, a restaurant located at what is now 105 West Third. They changed the name to Dutch's Place". Later the business was moved to the Dulac Building at 111 W. Third. During this time, Ernie continued his trucking business. In 1942 Ernie sold the restaurant to his brother,, Ted, and moved his family to Bellflower, CA, where he worked for a defense plant during World War II. They have lived in Bellflower ever since. Their sons have also settled in southern California.
John Henry Graf, born July 28, 1892, and Clara Martha Brunkow, born June 16, 1894, daughter of Ferdinand and Helena (Hartwick) Brunkow, were married on John's parents' 24th wedding anniversary March 11, 1914. John died in May of 1976, and Clara died August 31, 1961. To this union were born two sons and a daughter -- Galen, Helen (who died at birth in 1918) and Glen.
John and Clara began their married life farming southeast of Vermillion. Later they moved to the Neuchatel community. In the late 1930s, they bought a farm southwest of Onaga in the Fairview community where they lived the rest of their lives. John, Clara, and an infant daughter are buried at Duluth. Both sons have settled in the Onaga community.
Louise Helen Graf was born January 22, 1895, and died November 27, 1948. She married Christian Valburg, son of William and Christine Stieger Valburg, February 16, 1916. He was born May 21,1890, and died April 22, 1963. To this union were born three sons and one daughter, Lloyd, Olin, Lawrence, and Marjorie.
Louise and Chris began their married life west of Onaga on the old Jake Brunner farm located approximately three miles west of the Mill Creek Bridge, two miles north and one0half mile west. In 1918, they bought the farm one-half mile east and a mile south of the Brunner farm. Some years after Louise's death, Chris and Myrtle Berges were married and moved to a farm northeast of Duluth. After his mother's death, Lloyd and his family settled on the home farm. Several years later, Lloyd and his wife, Lorien, moved to the south edge of Onaga and Lloyd's son Charles settled on the home place. Lawrence also settled in the Onaga area. Olin lives northwest of Wheaton; and Marjorie is in Washington State. Louis and Chris ar buried at Duluth.
George Albert Graf, was born April 18, 1897, and died February 3, 1967. "Shorty", as he was known, and Mary (Marie) Margaret Savago, born October 23, 1901, to John and Emma Myers Savago, were married August 12,1919, in Topeka. To this union were born three daughters and one son -- Norma, Rose Marie, Kenneth and Mary Frances. Shorty and Marie began their married life with Shorty as janitor in the Onaga school system. Early the next year they moved to the family's east place farm and helped his father with the farming. During the next few years they farmed for various people, including Carl Dodds, Dave Clark and Dr. Leinbach. In 1928, the Shorty Grafs moved to Onaga and with his brother, Carl, bought the Onaga Dray Line from Richard (Dick) Busbee. This partnership continued for eight years. During this time, Shorty went into the trucking business. In 1930, Shorty started farming and moved to the Graf family farm (east place) and also continued the dray line and trucking. The dray line and the partnership ceased in 1936. The farming operation and trucking continued until 1943, when they bought the Martha Wegner farm at the southeast edge of Onaga. Shorty continued his trucking business until the time of his death, which was the result of a logging accident. Shorty is buried in the Onaga cemetery.
Frank Carl (Sam) Graf was born April 6, 1899. He and Lillie Cornelius were married in 1926. To this union was born one son, Donald. The couple adopted another son, Leonard. sam and Lillie began their married life farming south of Duluth, and later moved to a farm in the Fairview community. It the late 1930's, they moved to Portland, OR, where Sam worked in the shipyards until he retired. Walter Daniel Graf, born January 31, 1901, and Daisy Noland, who was born August 3, 1910 and died December 19, 1966, to Charles and Mary Chapman Noland, were married January 12, 1931. To this union was born a daughter and a son, Dixie and Darryl. Before and after this marriage, Walt worked in road maintenance. Later that year they started farming about one and one-half miles east of Onaga. a year or so later, they farmed the Graf family farm (west place) and in 1934, went to the Crevecoeur farm northeast of Onaga. In 1943, they bought their present farm (at 817 Leonard Street) from Samuel Eustis. At that time, the farm boundary ran along West 8th Street, including the area where the Onaga clinic and the Community Hospital are now, and on west. It included the present Onaga Airport area. Daisy died in 1966, and ins buried in Onaga.
Walt and Arlene (Peggy) Jenkins, daughter of Albert and Mary Eagon Rundle of Overbrook were married March 30, 1968, in Duluth.
Otto Reinhardt Graf, who was born February 14, 1904, and died May 26, 1975, married Erna Wegner (born March 14, 1904, to Wilhelm and Wilhelmine Berges Wegner) August 29, 1924. To this union were born two daughters. The couple began their married life in Onaga, living at 114 East 2nd. They went into partnership with Otto's brother, George, to buy the Onaga Dray Line. During the operation of the Dray Line, Otto went into the trucking business. Otto and George dissolved their partnership in 1936. Otto and Erna bought the Onaga Hotel in the mid-1940's from Earl Needham, and moved into the living quarters in the hotel at that time. During the hotel operation, Otto bought farmland southwest of Onaga including the Graf family farm (east place) and farmed along with his trucking. Erna continued to operate the hotel after Otto's death, selling it in 1977 to Joe Miller. she moved to 319 E. 3rd.
Marie Margaret Graf, born November 4, 1905, and Dietrick (Deak) Wegner (who was born February 27, 1902, to Fred and Marie Bosse Wegner and died April 24, 1963) were married February 17, 1926. To this union were born two sons. Marie and Deak began their married life farming east of Lillis. They moved to the Phil Cosandier farm southeast of Onaga in 1928, and lived there until 1945, when they bought a farm south of Onaga on the Onaga-Wamego road. Deak is buried in the Onaga Cemetery. Marie married Merle Ballentine May 22, 1964.
Henry E. Graf was born June 21, 1907, and died February 2, 1924, at the age of 16. He is buried at Duluth.
Theodore Herman (Ted) Graf, who was born September 8, 1909, and died July 29, 1965, and Sarah Ellen Noland (born March 28, 1912)the daughter of Charles "Pete" and Mary Chapman Noland, were married September 8, 1936. To this union were born three sons. Ted and Ellen began their married life in Onaga, with Ted working for the dray line. In the summer of 1937, they moved to Douglas, AZ. Their first son was born in Douglas. In 1938, the family moved back to Kansas, and farmed the Charles Krouse farm southwest of Onaga. The next year they moved to the Graf family farm (west place). In 1942, they bought Dutch's Cafe from Ted's brother, Ernie. In 1944 the cafe was sold to George Goins and was moved to what is now the Millick's Electric at 308 Leonard Street. Ted entered the Army on October 26, 1944, and was injured while in training. ; He received an honorable discharge in 1945. Ted bought the White Eagle service station located at the corner of 2nd and Leonard and operated it for a couple of years before selling it to Orville Davin. In 1948, Ted and Ellen bought the cafe/tavern known as The shamrock. In 1951. Ted started working for the Union Pacific Railroad and Ellen continued operating The Shamrock. the business was moved in 1957, to the Brunner Building at 321 Leonard, now the south part of the old Pyramid Manufacturing building, and the name was changed to Ted's Grill. In 1962, the Grill was moved to the Ballantine building in the 200 block on the west side of Prospect Street. Ted died of a heart attack in 1965 at Strasburg, CO, where he was working on the railroad. Ellen continued to operate the grill after Ted's death and in 1972, the business was moved back to the Dulac Building at 111 W. 3rd where they had originally begun the operation of the cafe and tavern. Ted and Ellen's son, Chuck, also operated the grill for a number of years, as did another son, Larry. Ted's Grill was sold to Stanley Matzke and Ronnie Abitz on March 1, 1979, and the name was changed to Ron's Grill.
Lawrence Virgil Graf, born April 9, 1914, and Leitha Allen (born November 26, 1915, to Henry and Bertha Linderman Allen) were married October 4, 1933. To this union were born two daughters. Lawrence and Leitha began their married life farming for Leitha's father. They lived with the Allens until 1936, when they moved to a farm northwest of Wheaton and went into farming for themselves. In the early 1940s, they bought the farm. In August 1968, Lawrence was involved in an accident with a hay baler which resulted in the amputation of both his arms. He was fitted with an artificial right arm and has been able to continue his farming operation.
Grant Guffy, son of Richard and Eliza Guffy, married Ina Hines. They lived for awhile in Texas, later in Onaga, and then on the farm in Section 23 of Vienna Township. their children were Max, Rheva, Glen, Gladys and Galen. Galen Guffy was a veteran of World War II, having served in the Pacific Theater for four years. Upon his return he farmed the home place. he married Ruth Shattuck, Grand Island, NE, on November 15, 1950. She taught at Victory School; and for many years taught the eighth grade in Onaga Grade School. She now lives in Nebraska. Galen died January 14, 1976.
Miss Lorna Hartwich, Colorado Springs, CO, has gathered much interesting information about Michael Frederick Hartwich, who was born at Suckow, Prussia (Germany). She is the great-granddaughter of Michael Hartwich and he was the great-grandfather of Paul Hartwich.
Michael was born in 1814, and came to America in 1856, going to Monroe, Wisc., before leaving for Kansas with an ox team. He arrived near Duluth with a portion of the one hundred fifty dollars he had when he left Wisconsin for Kansas. He homesteaded land near Duluth that was to belong to his family until their deaths and for the next hundred years.
Their second son, Ferdinand F. Hartwich, was born in 1850. He and his wife, Pauline Schwandt Hartwich, lived with his father and mother after their wedding, and helped them farm.
Ferdinand died at the age of 42. His wife was left to raise their children, ranging in age from 18 months to 14 years. His mother, Anna, (Mrs. Michael Hartwich) died a few months later.
After Anna died, her husband continued to live at the homestead until he was killed by a steer. Mrs. Ferdinand Hartwich remained on the farm until her son, William, got married. At that time, she went to live with her daughter, Matilda (Mrs. Wash) Miller.
Later she moved to Onaga where she resided until her death in 1921. Ferdinand and Pauline's son, August, farmed with his mother until he married Cora Hirsch of Laclede. they lived on the farm which is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Lynn Hartwich. August died suddenly in 1933, and his son, Paul, and his mother lived on the farm until 1940, when Cora moved to Wamego and Paul married Sylvia Bonjour. They had five children.
Lorna Hartwich's parents were Charles Frank Hartwich, a brother of August Hartwich, and Emma Schankie. Emma had lived with the Ferdinand Hartwich family from 1890 until her marriage in 1900.
Mr. and Mrs. Herman F. Hartwick were long-time residents of Mill Creek Township and the city of Onaga.
Mr. Hartwick was born in Ihna, Germany, March 18, 1854. At the age of two years, he came to America by boat with his parents and two brothers, Frederick and Ferdinand. They came to Kansas, traveling over unbroken ground where Indian trails were the only highways, and homesteaded eight miles northwest of Onaga.
Mrs. Hartwich (Hanna L.) was born January 31, 1856. She came to America with her parents, Christian and Augusta Buchholz, and brother, August.
The Albert Hay family -- Albert S. Hay, Jr. his wife, Flora Downie Hay, and children -- Albert Stanley, James Arthur, and Helen Sharon -- bought the John Berges farm in January of 1943. They moved in October of 1945, from Soldier.
Albert was born at Baileyville, the son of Albert stone and Pearl Sproul Hay. He moved with his parents and two brothers to Holton in 1919. Flora was born at Holton, the daughter of Thomas and Margaret McCrory Downie.
Edmond Conley Hayes was born June 16, 1851, near Middleton 'Guernsey, Ohio. He moved to Hiawatha in Brown County, KS in 1871. On August 2, 1877, he married Lelia Belle Phelps.
They were the parents of nine children: Harry, Frank, Conley, Myrtle, Charles, Claude, Grace, Bert and Belle.
Edmond Conley (See DeGraw and Railroad stories).
Claude Hayes was born October 9, 1887, at Axtell. He married Clara Schane, daughter of Ulrich and Anna Schane of Onaga, on December 20, 1911. They were the parents of six children: Edwin, Walter, Galen, Merle, Dorothy, and Annabelle.
Wilhelm Hetzler son of Conrad and Wilhelmina Figge Hetzler, was born in Munden Waldeck, Germany, February 14, 1844, and died at the home place in Sherman Township March 4, 1927, where he had lived 40 years.
He married marie Kamm, daughter of John Kamm and his wife, whose maiden name was Bauman, on January 8, 1867.; Marie was born December 1, 1841, in Rahden, Germany, and died April 16, 1924. She is buried in South St. Luke's Lutheran Cemetery.
The Hetzlers were farmers in Germany, living in a house built above a shelter for the farm animals.
In 1885, their oldest son, William, came to the United States, arriving in New York. From there, he came to Kansas, where he worked for his Uncle William and Aunt Wilhelmina Kamm Berges on their farm south of Onaga. Two years later, Wilhelm and Marie Hatzler left Germany with their remaining five children. They arrived in New York March 18, 1887, and came directly to Kansas, homesteading 160 acres in Sherman Township, where they built a rock house and began farming.
Wilhelm Hetzler was one of the 14 men who organized St. Luke's Lutheran Church in 1897. The church stood on the northwest corner of the Hetzler farm and could be seen for miles around.
Wilhelm and marie Hetzler were the parents of three sons and three daughters, all born in Munden Waldeck, Germany.
William Henry Hetzler was born October 23, 1867; married Amelia Brunkow, daughter of J. F. and Sophia Dorathea Zabel Brunkow on November 23, 1893. Sophia was born March 28,1873, and died January 18, 1937. Both are buried at Duluth. They had eight children.
Marie Hetzler was born March 17, 1873, and died May 19, 1958. In March of 1890, she marreid Henry Benjamin Knipp, son of William and Louisa Knipp. Henry was born in 1864 and died in 1935. Both are buried at Duluth. They had ten children.
Wilhelmina Marie Hetzler was born March 20, 1876, and died January 5, 1966. On September 2, 1895, she was married to John Knipp, son of William and Louisa Knipp. John was born in 1872 and died in July of 1896. They had one child. Wilhelmina married Carl Figge, who died in 1928. All are buried in South St. Luke's Lutheran Cemetery. They had four children.
Frederick Christian Hetzler was born April 12, 1881, and died August 23, 1971. On December 18, 1907, he married Marie Katherine Berges, daughter of William and Wilhelmina Kamm Berges, who was born October 18, 1882, and died October 13, 1969. Both are buried in South St. Luke's Lutheran Cemetery. They had no children.
Karoline Hetzler was born December 6, 1883, and died November 9, 1971. she married Robert Deering. both are buried in Lakeside Cemetery, Loveland, CO. They had two children.
Levi Hodge was born September 14, 1898, at Circleville, the son of Mr. and Mrs. James Hodge. He married Delta Marie Wegner, daughter of Ferdinand and Marie Wegner. He was a farmer and stockman south of Onaga for 44 years.
The Hodges had three children, Mrs. Edith Ewing and Mrs. Margaret Jenkins, and a son, Dale. Dale served three years in the Armed Forces during World War II. He married donna Magers and they had a son, Stephen Dale. Dale died April 2, 1957, at the age of 35 years. Levi died in February of 1968.
Carrie Matilda Nelson Holmgren was born in Linskoping, Westerjutland, Sweden, August 29, 1861. She arrived in New York in 1882 and came to Olsburg. On August 18, 1884, she was married to John Eric Holmgren at Garrison. They homesteaded in Alamosa, CO. In 1895, they moved to Onaga, where they resided on a farm.
Mr. Holmgren died in October 1927. Mrs. Holmgren moved into Onaga after her husband's death and lived there until she died at her home on June 9, 1940. Mrs. Holmgren was one of the typical pioneer mothers of Kansas. She and her husband believed in the highest values. She believed that the meaning of life was to give it. She accepted here advanced years as a natural phase of life. Mr. and Mrs. Holmgren had nine children: Nora, Arthur, Mrs. Edith Wheeler, Hugo, Carl, Martin, Adah, Mrs. Ethel Ready, and Leo.
John Eric Holmgren was born in Ostergotland, Sweden, March 25, 1862, and died in Topeka October 5, 1927. He landed in Boston on March 5, 1882. From Boston he came to Cleburne. After he married Carrie, they homesteaded in Colorado and lived there for seven years. He had two sisters, one in Sweden and one in Lexington. MO.
He belonged to the sturdy farmer class which labored so patiently and hard in laying the foundations of our community life. Mr. and Mrs. Holmgren are buried in the Onaga Cemetery.
Albert Frederick Honig, son of John Frederick Honig and Augusta Friedrick Wilhelmina Hartwick, was born September 7, 1877, a few miles north of Onaga, died February 15, 1956, and is buried in the Onaga Cemetery.
He was married to Mary Ann Teske, daughter of Julius August Teske and Anna Rachel Myer, August 8, 1906, at Duluth. Mary was born January 22, 1880, west of Onaga, and died May 26, 1961.
Albert settled on a farm south of Onaga on the east side of the Vermillion, where he lived for a year before his marriage. Following their marriage, the couple lived there until 1946, when they sold their farm to Arnold Teske, whose wife was a niece. They moved to Onaga, living on High Street across from the high school.
To this union were born three children: Grace, Gertrude, and Estelline. When Albert was a boy, he used to help Fred Crevecoeur catch insects and birds for Fred's collection. His education was at the third grade level because he had to help at home. He had his own method of math and bookkeeping.
John Frederick (Fred) Honig was born July 14, 1883, and died June 16, 1915. His lady friend, Wilhelmina Hartwig, later spelled Hartwick, was born September 29, 1843, and died May 15, 1910. they came from Pomerania, Germany, to Chicago in 1869, and to this locality in 1870. In 1871, he bought his home north of Onaga in Section 10, Mill Creek Township, from a Frenchman. It had a stone house on it; a frame house was built.
Fred and Wilhelmina were married in 1872. They had six children: William G., Amelia (Abitz), Frederick Albert, August Frederick, Emma (Burton), and Seyrcha Herman Emil. until the time of their deaths, the couple lived on the farm with son Herman and family.
August Frederick Honig, known as Fred or A. F., was born February 21, 1881, and died November 2, 1950. On April 15, 1909, he married Emma Augusta Brunkow, daughter of Frederick William and Augusta Martha (Falk) Brunkow, who was born August 21, 1887, and died August 12, 1964. The had eight children. They bought a farm north of Onaga in Section 24, Mill Creek Township. They lived there until September 1950, and then bought a house at 721 Leonard Street, Onaga. Lawrence Frederick Honig was born May 22, 1911. He married Velora Amelia Bosse September 22, 1943. They had three children.
Lenora Gertrude Honig was born August 4, 1913, and died March 26, 1979. They lived on a farm south of Onaga in Section 3, St. Clere Township. Their children are: Myra Lea (deceased), Dennis Gene, Alice Fay (died at the age of 4) and Jolene Kae.
Dale William Honig was born July 10, 1917, was married June 8, 1947, to Ann Hadl, who was born April 20, 1917. they had one daughter, Shirley Ann. Inez Bernadine Honig was born January 18, 1919. She was married July 15, 1940 to Lloyd Walter Rand, who was born October 3, 1918. They had three children.
William G. Honig, born January 4, 1873, married Theresa Helene Brunkow October 17, 1901. they lived northwest of Onaga. Theresa died January 20, 1957, and William died May 18 1957. Their children: Arthur W., Elsie, Harry, Roland, Adelina, and Gladys, were all born on the farm.
Arthur W., born August 8, 1902, married Gertrude E. Matzke, daughter of Robert and Elsie Abitz Matzke. They had four children -- Dorothy Mae, Edra Jean, Daryl, and Donald.
Elsie Honig, born April 30, 1904, married Arthur Falk on March 4, 1925. they live on their farm three miles southeast of Wheaton in the stone house over 100 years old, where Arthur was born. The house was used as an inn when people traveled by horse and buggy or wagon from Holton to Westmoreland. There has been a rock quarry on the farm since 1967. The Falks had five children. Harry Honig married Lorna Zabel. (See Zabel story).
Roland Honig -- See Amanda Honig Story.
Adelina was born April 18, 1916. she married Herbert Abitz, son of William and Lena Henzman Abitz. They farmed three and one-half miles northeast of Wheaton. Many years ago an Indian trail went through their farm. They had three sons.
Gladys Honig -- see Aaron Jeanneret story.
Emilie (Amelia) Augusta Honig, born October 4, 1876, married Herman Frank Abitz (born August 16, 1869) in Germany. He came to the U. S. when he was 12 years old. They farmed two and one-half miles northeast of Wheaton. They raised cane and cooked sorghum for their own use and to sell. He died December 10, 1937, and she died December 27, 1950. they had eleven children -- Esther, Richard, Emil, Emma, Oto, Louise, Edwin, Ida, marie, Lorna, and Leona. Esther Wilhelmina Abitz, born August 31, 1897, and died March 27, 1974, married Walter Christian Bosse on October 4, 1922. He was born October 5, 1899, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Bosse. They farmed six miles south of Duluth until his retirement to Wamego. He died October 29, 1974. They had two daughters.
Evelyn Lucille Bosse Hager Muniz had six children -- Carol, Walter, Deborah and Chris Hager and Michael and Cheri Muniz.
Norma June Bosse Tanner Oberhelman had four boys -- Terry, Randy, Johnnie, and Charles Tanner.
Richard Freidrick Abitz was born October 13, 1898. On March 15, 1928, he married Lorna Kufahl (born January 19, 1909), daughter of Ferdinand and rosa Teske Kufahl. they had five children -- Marvin, Lois, Linda, Eldon and Marilyn. Emil Frank Abitz (born February February 9, 1901, died October, 1963) married Laura Elizabeth Hetzler, daughter of Henry Frederick and Emma Brunkow Hetzler. She was born March 2, 1905. They had three children -- Dorene Elaine, Verda Mae, and Donald Gene.
Emma Augusta Abitz (born April 22, 1903) married Arthur William Frank Brunkow, son of William and Emilie (Amelia) Wege Brunkow on march 6, 1924. They farmed three miles west of Duluth. They had two children, Donna Rae and Duane. They also raised a granddaughter, Angela Rae.
Otto Christian Abitz, born May 19, 1905, married Jessie Maude Day, daughter of Frank and Ida Tunison Day. she was born March 5, 1911. They farmed. After Otto's death on September 20, 1964, she moved to Onaga. The couple had five children -- Erma, Franklin, Janice, Eugene, and Roger. Louise Marie Abitz died in infancy in 1907.
Edwin Herman Abitz died in infancy in 1909.
Ida Helen Abitz, born January 6, 1910, married Clarence Raymond Howell.
Marie Martha Abitz -- see Raymond Zabel family.
Lorna Abitz, born January 12, 1916, married William J. Taylor. Their son is Howard William.
Leona Abitz died ininfancy in 1918.
Herman Honig -- see William and Amelia Kolterman story.
Emma Honig, born March 12, 1886, married Bob Burton. Their son's name is John. Emma later married Mr. Sereyka.
Henry and Jacob Huber were the first of that name to come to America. All Hoovers probably descended from them. They came from Holland prior to the Revolutionary War. The Americanization of the name Huber to Hoover was after 1861, as Lewis and Henry's Pottawatomie County land taxes had their name spelled Huber.
Lewis and Mary were married in 1837, in Indiana. In 1854, they and their five children started west and settled near Ozawkie in Jefferson County. Lewis filed a claim which he held for two years, until border ruffians made it so unpleasant that he deserted it and came with his family (other than Martha and Henry) to Pottawatomie County. He took a claim in Section 14, Mill Creek Township, where the country was new and unbroken. The move was made after November 23, 1855, which was the wedding date of his daughter Martha to Mr. Alfred Cory, and the birthdate of his youngest daughter, Mary.
Lewis Hoover was born in 1815 and died in 1871. His first wife, Mary Shaffer, died in 1865, and is buried in the Southerland Cemetery north of Onaga; or it may be called Pleasant Valley Cemetery. The family of Lewis and Mary were Jacob, William, Lewis Jr., Mary, Henry, John and Martha.
Lewis, Sr., married a widow named Nancy Booth in 1866. she was born in 1829 and died in 1899. Nancy had three boys named Greeley, Robert and Charley Booth. Lewis had traded his farm to Dr. McDay of Americia City for a stock of store goods and moved there about 1868. In 1871 Lewis and his wife had gone to visit her relatives in Osawatomie when he became ill and died. That is probably where he is buried.
Two of Lewis and Mary's sons served in the Civil War. John died at Camp Solomon; Henry survived. Lewis, Jr. and mary (married to William Taylor) moved to Cloud County. William went to Oklahoma. Martha and her husband, Alfred Cory, came to this area. Jacob went to Oklahoma.
Henry Hoover, son of Lewis, Sr. and Mary, was born in 1839, and came from Indiana to Kansas in 1854. He married Melinda Eytchison (daughter of William and Elizabeth Eytchison), who was born in 1841, and died April 15, 1902. when Henry served in the Army, his wife accompanied him, leaving heir small children with relatives. After the war, he returned to the area north of Onaga and began farming.
The children of Henry and Melinda Hoover were: Laura, who was born in 1861, (date of death not known); Merritt (Mother's spelling Merit), born in 1867, married Mary J. Peyrouse (daughter of August and Josephine Reboul Peyrouse), died in 1937; Ellan, born in 1865, married Francis Teeter, died in 1931. Charles, born in 1868, married Louisa Peyrouse (daughter of Sylvester and Anna Osborn Palmer), died in 1961; Bessie, born in 1878, married Charles Fouch, died in 1911; Belle, born in 1881, married August Gaume (son of Pete and Sara Becker Gaume), died in 1970 in Onaga; Pearl, born in 1882, married Robert Hartwich, Hubert Gruver and Percy Freedland; died in 1964.
Merritt, son of Henry and Melinda Eytchison Hoover, was born January 9, 1867, in Mill Creek Township. Merritt married Mary Payrouse November 8, 1888. She was born September 23, 1864 in Sentrel, France, and came to this country as a 10-month old baby. They ran short of food on the ship so the adults left their share of potatoes to keep the baby alive. Merritt and Mary were farmers and bought the farm east of Onaga in 1892, and later added an 80 acre piece of ground east of that. They lived there until their deaths. They built a new house in 1905, which included a part of the old house, and in this house their son Claude lived and raised his family.
Merritt took an active part in the Pottawatomie County Fair. The children of Merritt and Mary Hoover were Claude and Blanche. Blanche was born in 1889 and died in 1967. She married Thomas Gideon, who was born in 1888 and died in 1930. their children were Marietta, Thomasine and Dale. Marietta married Russell Smith and they had two children. Russell died in 1950, and Marietta married Rollie Smith and had one child. Thomasine married Frank Connell (deceased). They had two children.
Claude was born October 29, 1891, and died November 8, 1956. He married Lena Gideon (daughter of George Lewis and Lucinda Elizabeth Boan Gideon), who was born June 2, 1893. After Claude and Lena became acquainted, Lena moved with her family to Florida. Claude followed and they were married February 10, 1915, in Jensen, FL. After about three years, they returned to the home place. The children of Claude and Lena were Mary and June.
Home | Early Days | More Early Days | Onaga Beginning | Onaga Historical Sketch | Just a Memory | Doughboy Story | Kansas Central Railroad ||Kansas Central - LKW | Union Pacific Railroad | Local Family Histories A - H | Local Family Histories I - R | Local Family HistoriesS - Z | Pioneer Businessmen | Past Businesses | Other Businesses |Railroad Families | Railroad Employee List | Doctors | Obituaries | |Home Where the Buffalo Roamed | Map Location | | Current Photos | Flint Hills Photos | Vienna Township | Neuchatel | Duluth | Historical Society | Contact | Guest Book | About the Author | links |