Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
Home Index Genealogy History

Ballindura Castle



The Townland of the Monuments
...
The castle when in existence was held by the O'Keeffes. After the Confederate War the O'Keeffes lost their land, which had stretched from Templemichael to Glenville and much of it went to the Barrys. Some was also reclaimed by MacCarthy, Earl of Clancarty as head landlord. Finghin Mac Airt Ui Chaoimh has been mentioned as having been in possession after the Desmond rebellion of 1583.

Local historian John Healy told a story of one Caol MacArt O'Keeffe, who lived the life of a rapparee. On his death bed the local priest told Caol MacArt that he would never see the gates of Heaven. After Caol died the priest, traveling on a lonely road at night, heard the sound of whirlwind and suddenly saw Caol mounted on a white horse on the ditch above him. 'How fares it?' said the priest, 'since you led the life of a robber?' Caol answered that he only robbed the rich in order to give to the poor, and he then vanished. The story is of the time following Cromwell's devastation when many dispossessed Irish gentry who scorned a move 'to Hell or Connaught' were supported by the country folk and lived as outlaws. (1)



(1) The Castles of County Cork With 72 line drawings and 10 maps by the author James N. Healy Copyright © 1988 by James N. Healy, p. 18.
Material reproduced by permission of the publisher.



The Mercier Press Limited
4 Bridge Street Cork
24 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1


last revised 2007 Jan 17.