Cannada, Kennedy, Canada, Kenedy, Cannady, Canady...
This is the on-line edition of The Cannada Connection Newsletter, an occasional newsletter for the Cannada and related families of Taylors, South Carolina.
Related Families from Taylors, S.C.:
TAYLOR, DAVIS, RAINEY, HAMMETT, HOWELL SMITH, BRIDWELL, VAUGHN, HARDIN, HARBIN, LANGLEY, LOFTIS, ROBERTS, CRANE, YOUNGBLOOD, MOON, WYNN, GREEN, BATSON, HAWKINS, BROWN, JENKINS, MONK, TRIPP, WILLIAMS, COPELAND, EDWARDS, BARBARE and many, many more.
The ancestry of our Cannada family has not been confirmed, though several old families using similar names were in the upstate of South Carolina and Greenville County since the 1790's.
Most interesting of these old families who may or may not be related is that of John Kannada (of Union Dist.), or Kennedy, Cannady. His descendants are found using several variations of the spelling in Greenville County records. This John Kannada came from Union District, S.C. and first appears in Greenville in 1798 when he purchased several hundred acres on Clear Creek. Clear Creek is a small branch which runs along Milford Church Rd. and into the Greer Lake, once the South Tyger River. The land was in the general area of Milford Baptist Church up to the old Buncombe Road or the present Hwy 290 N.
Since our Cannada family is known to have lived on and owned lands just a quarter of a mile or so from where this John Kannada, Kennedy first settled, it makes us wonder if there could be a connection. To date there is no evidence that the two families are related.
We can trace our line back to 1840 when Elizabeth Davis Cannada, first wife of James, is found in the Holly Springs Baptist Church Records in Spartanburg County, S.C.
In 1850 James J. Cannada and family are living in Pickens County, S.C. as recorded in the census.
James J. Cannada and his descendants have been in the Chick Springs, Taylors area since the early 1850's. He settled on Lick Creek on a small farm and worked as a harness and saddle maker.
The Cannada family descendants are not large in number, but have been a part of the areas growth and prosperity for generations. They were among the first members of the Chick Springs Baptist Church, organized in 1864. When the church moved from the Springs to Taylors Station and became the Taylors First Baptist Church in 1885, Elisha Davis Cannada, a deacon of the church, was recorded on the deed when Alfred Taylor donated the land for the new church.
Dr. William Henry Cannada was ordained as a minister by the church in 1899. He later served as a missionary in Brazil, principle of North Greenville Academy (now North Greenville College) and pastored several churches across South Carolina.
The Cannada family descendants continue to be part of the Taylors First Baptist Church family into the present generation.
On a slope above Lick Creek is the remains of the old Cannada Family Cemetery. One of the many family burying grounds that were once in the immediate area, it is now among just a few that has survived through the years.
For more on the Cannada and related families
Send E-Mail to Mel Odom...
Return to The
Odom Family Genealogy Collection
Again, much thanks goes out to Claudia Benson, Nell Gambrell, and others who continue to support and contribute to this newsletter.
The Cannada Connection, 4d edition
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000
Mel Odom, Taylors, S.C.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids