Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

The 'Trevelyan' from London.

New Zealand Bound

Source:  'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website.
The Star
, Friday 14 May 1880 pg2
Lyttelton - Arrived
May 13- Trevelyan, ship, 1011 tons, Captain A.F. Roberts, from London.
Passengers: saloon - 
Gray 		S
Gray 		Mrs L
Haumer?		N.G.W.
Miller 		J.V.
Miller 		Mary
Miller  	Herbert
Miller 		Hubert
Miller		Margaret
Miller  	Arthur
Miller  	Mary
Miller  	Basil
Miller  	Maud
Selby 		Mrs
Selby 		Katie
Taylor 		Captain
Towsey 		Arthur
Towsey 		Jessie
Towsey 		Mary
Towsey 		John
Towsey 		Herbert
Trussell 	Ernest
Trussell  	Mrs
Second Cabin-
Cooke 		J.D.H.
Evans 		Mrs
Evans  		Edward
Evans  		Alfred
McCormick 	J.
Perry 		Arthur 
Wildamson? 	Miss
Christie 	C.
Christie 	Mrs
Christie 	E.
Christie 	Miss E
Dawson 		Andrew
Dickey 		William
Elatob? 	William
Kier 		Alexander P.
Lester 		Thomas
Lloyd 		James
Martin 		William
Martin 		Jane
Mills 		Henry
Sanders 	Charles
Service 	John
Walmsley 	Edward
Walmsley 	Mrs
Wood John 	H
Wood Mary 	Ann
Wood 		John

Messrs Shaw, Savill and Co., ship Trevelyan, Captain Roberts, from London, was signalled on Thursday afternoon, and brought up eight miles outside the Heads. The p.s. Lyttelton went out to her, and brought her up to anchorage last night. She left Deal on Feb. 10, so has made the passage in 92 days from port to port. The Trevelyan has 22 saloon, 8 second cabin [only 7 listed in the newspaper], and 20 steerage passengers on board. Messrs Edwards, Bennett and Co. are her inward agents. She was to clear this morning. The Trevelyan has powder on board, on discharge of which she will be brought in to a berth to discharge her general cargo.

The Star, May 15
The ship anchored on the powder ground below Ripa Island at 7 a.m. on Thursday. Captain Roberts was here last year on the Bebington. The medical officer o board devolved on Mr Ernest Fussell [sic]. The passage occupied 95 days from dock to anchorage and 85 days from land to land. No sickness of any kind was experienced by the passengers or crew. There were no deaths and two births.

A Good Race Out

The Trevelyan had a good race out to Lyttelton with the Orari. The two ships were in company in the Channel on February 9th and and did not meet again until Feb 29, then not until their arrival at Lyttelton. The Trevelyan arrived on the 13th May and the Orari on the 14th May.

The Trevelyan left the East India Docks on Feb. 7, 1880 and anchored at Gravesend, where powder was shipped, and towed down to the Downs next day.  Lay there until Feb. 10, and got away a south-east breeze. Passed the Isle of Wight on Feb. 11, with the wind strong from the southwest.  The Orari left the Docks on Feb. 6, 1880 Gravesend Feb. 7, and the Downs Feb. 8, casting off the tug at midnight. Cleared the Channel on Feb. 12,
From that date to Feb. 21, encountered gales from the south-west to west-north-west, the vessel on the later date being 70 miles from Cape Ushant. Picked up the north-east trades in 41 north, 12 west, on Feb. 24, and when off Palmer Island, 28 north, 18 west, on Feb. 29, spoke the Orari. Carried the trades to 9 north on March 7, when in 2 north the south-east trades were met with. and thence to Feb. 21 experienced heavy south-west gales, the vessel either beating about or being hove-to. After this moderate north-east winds were met with, leading to the north-east trades, which took the ship to 4 north on March 10th.
Crossed the Equator on March 14, in 22 west, and spoke the barque Ethel, Western Australia to Falmouth, 58 days out. The trades were fair. March 15, spoke the barque John Davie, Newport to Calcutta, 37 days out. A spell of calm weather was then met to March 13, when the south-east trades were picked up, the Equator being crossed that night.
The south-east trades were lost in 25 south, on March 23. Was off Tristan d'Acunha on March 30, Governor Green came off to the ship and brought potatoes, etc. He reported all well on the island, except one old women, who was ill when Captain Roberts called at the island before. Passed the meridian of the Cape on April 7 in 47 south and that of Kerguelens Land on April 20, in 51 south, with fresh westerly winds. On April 26 experienced a fresh gale from west-north-west and shipped a heavy sea, which carried away sheep-pens, hencoops, &c. and broke in the doors of the deck-house. The south-east trades were fairly good, and held to 26 south on March 23, and then light northerly winds were met with to April 12 in 43 south 27 east, the meridian of Greenwich having been passed in April 2, and that of the Cape on April 9. From April 12 made good running up to last Saturday, 213 knots being the daily average.
Passed Tasmania on May 4, in 49 south, and carried west-north-west winds to passing the Snares at 4 p.m. on May 8. Had variable and foggy weather along the Coast, sighted Cape Saunders light on May 11 at 5 p.m., and on Wednesday night experienced fresh south-west breeze, which brought the ship up to the Heads on Thursday, 13th May, afternoon, where she was taken in tow by the p.s Lyttelton. Passed the Snares on Sunday night, May 9th, and made the Traps at noon on Monday, May 10th, with wind fresh from the east-south-east. On Wednesday, 12th May, the wind hauled south with heavy sea. Made the Peninsula at 4 p.m. on Thursday 13th May, and the Heads yesterday morning, towing up to an anchorage at noon.
Arrived Lyttelton on Thursday May 13th 1880 at 7 a.m. Arrived Lyttelton on Friday May 14th 1880 at 12 noon.