The "Travancore", ship, 562 tons, sailed from Gravesend 6 December 1850 and arrived Lyttelton 31 March 1851 with 149 settlers.
Chief CabinBarnes Arthur Hodge Ms. Latter Edward Charles Livingstone John / Surgeon-Superintendent Reeves Thomas Hosrer Thomas Rev. M. / Chaplain Webb W.H.
List of Persons authorized by the Canterbury Association to embark for Canterbury in New Zealand, as Steerage. Passengers by the Ship "Travancore", Henry Brown Commander, John Livingstone, Surgeon. Dated at Gravesend the 5th of December 1850
Barnes John 18 M Agr. Laborer Beck Eliza inf F Beck John 10 M Beck John 33 M Y 6 Beck Joseph 4 M Beck Sarah 33 F Y 6 Beck Sarah 8 F Beck Thomas 7 M Beck William 2 M Bulter George 21 M Laborer Burridge Sarah 20 F Y Elizabeth crossed out Dead Burridge John 21 M Y Agr. Laborer Campion John 25 M Y Agr. Laborer Campion Mary Ann 23 F Y Cardho? Christian 30 F Steamstress Clarke George 31 M Y Gardner Clarke Mary Ellen 26 F Y Cooper Fanny 3 F Cooper George 24 M Y 6 Agr. Laborer Cooper George inf M Cooper Mary 17 F Cooper Mary Elizabeth 31 F Y 6 Cooper Robert 6 M Cooper Sarah 10 F Cooper William 2 M Coutts Donald 24 M Agr. Laborer Dench Edward 21 M Agr. Laborer Denham Joseph 40 M Miller Dale Luke R. 27 M Lighterman Donald Ellen inf F Donald Jean 7 F Donald Jean 37 F Y 4 Donald Margaret 5 F Donald Robert 7 M Donald Robert 39 M Y 4 Gardener Garwood James 19 M Laborer Gilbert Charles 34 M Y 5 Laborer Gilbert Charles 12 M Gilbert Elizabeth 36 F Y 5 Gilbert Elizabeth 31 F Y Gilbert Henry 6 M Gilbert James 31 M Y Agr. Laborer Gilbert Jane 4 F Gilbert Peel inf M Gilbert Richard 9 M Gray Alexander 22 M Shepherd Griffiths Anne 13 F Griffiths Eleanor 40 F Y 5 Griffiths John 3 M Griffiths John 42 M Y 5 Griffiths Martha 11 F Griffiths Mary 15 F Domestic Servant Griffiths Ruth 9 F Heath John 16 M Gardener Henderson Andrew D. 33 M Millwright Houlder Frederick J. 26 M Agr. Laborer, Stone mason, ?Frank Josling Ada Maria 0 F Josling Eleanor 28 F Y 2 Josling Ellen 1 F Josling John 28 M Y 2 Carpenter Kiver Ann 4 F Kiver Charles 7 M Kiver Charles 35 M Y 5 Farmer Kiver Elizabeth 0 F Kiver Fanny 9 F Kiver Jane 39 F Y 5 Kiver Louise 5 F Leigh Walter 29 M Baker Mason Alfred 19 M Laborer Merry Catherine 36 F Y 2 Merry Catherine 5 F Merry Frances Ruth 3 F Merry Thomas 35 M Y 2 Laborer Mitchell Catherine 13 F Mitchell Helen 50 F Y 4 Mitchell James 50 M Y 4 Shoemaker Mitchell Jean 17 F Domestic Servant Mitchell Mary 23 F Domestic Servant Mitchell William 10 M Munn Charles John 36 M Y 6 Munn Charles John 7 M Munn Eliza 35 F Y 6 Munn Eliza 1 F Munn John 3 M Munn Louisa 12 F Munn Maria 9 F Munn Thomas 5 M Nickells Thomas 19 M Laborer Pallett ? 2 M Pallett ? inf F Pallett Hannah 20 F Y 2 Pallett William 23 M Y 2 Farm Laborer Pearson Harriett 21 F Y Pearson Samuel 22 M Y Penfold James William 14 M Agr. Laborer Phillips Edwin 1 M Phillips Harriet 34 F Y 4 Phillips Harry inf M Phillips John 34 M Y 4 Laborer Phillips John 7 M Phillips Mary Ann 4 F Platford W. Richard 29 M Laborer Priest Francis 30 M Y 2 Agr. Laborer Priest Frank 2 M Priest Margaret 27 F Y 2 Priest Samuel 11 M Price Edward 18 M Agr. Laborer Reid William 27 M Agr. Laborer Shang Isabella 25 F Y 1 child Janet Shedden Shang James 35 M Y 1 child Janet Shedden Shedden Janet 4 F Shang's child Shepherd Elizabeth 32 F Y Shepherd Thomas 31 M Y Lighterman Smith John 22 M Agr. Laborer Suter Agnes 18 F Y Suter William 24 M Y Carpenter Wakelin Annie 30 F Y 3 Wakelin Frances 5 F name crossed out Wakelin John 30 M Y 3 Laborer Wakelin Mary 6 F Wakelin Thomas 2 M Webster Francis 28 M Stone Mason White Adeline Charlotte22 F Y Twins, William and Betey White George 19 M Y Agr. Lab. Smith Wilkin Georgiana 30 F Y 3 Wilkin J. Thomas Well'n 37 M Y 3 Laborer Wilkin Ja's Chince 6 M Wilkin Juo. Winstauley 3 M Wilkin William Spurien 5 M Wood Thomas C. 19 M Woodford Charlotte 8 F died on voyage Woodford Edward 16 M Laborer Woodford Emily Jane 15 F Domestic Servant Woodford Frances 5 F Woodford Frank 1 M Woodford George 13 M Woodford Jane 36 F Y 9 Woodford Julia 3 F Woodford Mary Anne 11 F Woodford Philip 44 M Y 9 Sheep shearer Woodford Thomas 7 M
Reference: Canterbury Association Shipping Office (London, England) Lyttelton Shipping List Published: Salt Lake City, Utah : Genealogical Society of Salt Lake City, 1973. Copy of passenger lists of some Canterbury Association emigrant ships held in the Canterbury Museum. Available on microfilm at Family History Centres worldwide through their loan programme. Item #1066515
Lyttelton Times May 10, 1851
The ship Travancore, 562 tons, Captain, Henry Brown, which arrived at Lyttelton on March 31, 1851, left Gravesend at Noon on Friday, December 6, with a freight of 173 souls, of which eighteen were chief and seventeen fore-cabin passengers. On Sunday, the 8th of December, she lay in the Downs, detained by contrary, winds. Early in the morning of Monday, however, she sailed with a gentle breeze and soon left the shores of England among the remembrances of the past.
During the next ten days we experienced exceedingly rough weather in the chops of the Channel and the Bay of Biscay, says the chronicler. Two kinds of feeling were prevalent at this time -- dismay at being obliged to beat about in fruitless attempts to get out of the Bay, and wonder at the performances and powers of our good ship. At last on the 19th about noon, a fresh fair wind sprang up, enlivening the most desponding and soon reducing the list of sea sick passengers. It was not till then that we began to experience the exhilarating effects of a sea voyage.
The cold and damp of this period proved fatal to nearly the whole of the starlings that had been sent on board in the hope of some of them at least reaching New Zealand. Only four survived the Bay. These also died at a later period in the voyage, except one which escaped from its wiry tenement.
The Travancore now began to prove her sailing powers. She averaged for some time 200 miles daily, and on Thursday, the 26th of December, we saw the loom of Madeira to the eastward of us. Our westerly course extended to within a short distance of the Brazilian coast, passing on Saturday, the 18th of January, at midnight, between Trinidad and the Martin Vas Rocks.
Various and multiplied now became the objects of interest and excitement. The catching of a dolphin or bonita, the phosphorescent appearance of the tropical seas at night, music, dancing, and the usual nautical games all contributed to make the days pass away quickly and pleasantly....
Canterbury Museum Archives holdings:
Diary by John Livingstone
"A Dream" - a poem written aboard by Canon Knowles
Chronicle of the journey in E.J. Wakefield's papers
Reference: Log of Logs by Nicholson
Manawatu Standard, 8 June 1900, Page 2
Christchurch, June 8. Mr George Cooper, one of the oldest settlers of Canterbury, died at Leeston yesterday, at the age of 86 years. He arrived at Lyttelton in the ship Travencore in 1850. His family numbered twenty one, of whom fourteen are living.
Luke and Mary Dale come to New Zealand on the Travancore in 1851. Luke Richard Dale ( 1822 - 1857 ) as a boatman & Lighterman of Little Akaroa in the Electoral Roll , 1853.
He married Mary Anderson , dau. of John Anderson ( Fatima,1853) 17August 1855.
He died on 9 Dec 1857 at Lyttelton (Quail Island) aged 35.
He was buried at Lyttelton Cemetery 11 Dec 1857.
He was survived by his wife, Mary Dale, daughter Margaret Home Dale (Mrs R. Niven) and the late Thomas Shepherd Dale (infant son) d : 1857, not longer before Luke died.
Mary Dale was a well known Kaiapoi farmer in North Road, Kaiapoi until her death in 24 Jan 1892. (her mother was still alive in Balcairn at the time as she left 4 brothers and 6 sisters. She was buried in Lyttelton beside with Luke R. Dale .
Information from Robert Forrest, a descendant of the Deal & Dale ancestors from Essex. Posted July 2004
Edward Dench was born in Sussex in 1829, son of James Dench and Mary Feldwick. In 1856 (August 5) he married Kate Hill, daughter of Thomas Hill. He worked for a partnership of Hill and Reeves in Oxford (you will see that Reeves was in the cabin class on the Travancore) and indeed was brought out by the Hill/Reeves partnership.
The children of Edward and Kate were:
- Thomas Frederick, born August 17, 1856, baptized 4 February 1857 in Christchurch
- Henry Edward, born February 25, 1858, baptized 28 March also in Christchurch
- Frances Kate, born c. 1859
+ 2 other males.
Information courtesy of Janet Dench (Thomas Frederick is her great-grandfather.) Posted August 2004
Henry Edward Dench (not the same Dench as above) wrote a letter to the Otago Early Settlers Museum saying his father arrived in Canterbury in 1851. This is not the same gentlemen, the ages do not match. I, Olwyn, am researching this other Dench family line.
Evening Post 26 December 1923 Page 9
Mrs. Mary Smith, who died at Ashburton last week, aged 92, came to New Zealand in March, 1851, in the Travancore, which was the seventh ship to arrive in Lyttelton. She was the daughter of the late Mr. John Griffiths, who was a blacksmith in Lincoln road, opposite Sunnyside, where an old anvil near the bridge still marks the site of his smithy. Mrs. Smith was married in 1854, her husband, Mr. Matthew Smith, being a farmer who was farming at Teddington for some years. Mr. Smith died about fourteen years ago in Ashburton, and Mrs. Smith had been living since then with one of her daughters, Mrs. Thomas. She had a family of eleven. During Mrs. Smith's lifetime, there were five generations of the family in Canterbury.
Burial records -Linwood Cemetery, Christchurch
Elizabeth Jane ALLISON died 17 October 1916 age 66 arrived by Travancore 1851 her husband Henry died 11 September 1924 arrived on the Isabella Hercus 1856. Elizabeth Jane Kiver married Henry Allison in 1880.
Evening Star 12 September 1916 Page 5
Canon Francis Knowles, whose death is announced, was a prominent figure in the city for many years. He practically died in harness, for it was only towards the end of last year that he resinned the several diocesan offices he had held for many years. Canon Knowles was born in Limehouse, London, iu 1830, and received his education at Steben Heath House School, Stepney. He intended following a scholastic career, and secured the associate diploma of the College of Preceptors in 1848. In 1857 he was ordained deacon, and two years later was ordained priest in Canterbury at the first ordination held by the late Bishop Harper. Canon Knowles had arrived at Lyttelton by the ship Travancore in 1851 and for a brief period was sub-editor of the �Lyttelton Times.� In 1857 he, became curate of Banks Peninsula, but two years later ho returned to Lyttelton, where he was curate. In 1860 he was appointed vicar of Lyttelton, and remained there till 1372. From that year till 1876 he was Vicar of Merivale, and later for two years vicar of Balclutha, Otago. In 1878-79 he was at Gladstone, Southland, and in 1879 he was appointed diocesan secretary, registrar, and treasurer and secretary of the Church Property Trustees in the diocese of Canterbury, a position which he held till last year. He became an honorary canon of Christchurch Cathedral in 1894, and held for some time the honorary offices of secretary and treasurer to the cathedral. Canon Knowles was twice married. He had two sons, the Rev. Walter Knowles (who survives him) and the late Mr Henry J. Knowles, who was chief accountant in the Land and Sumy Department, Wellington, but died some years ago.
Latter's on Banks Peninsula
Banks Peninsula - Cradle of Canterbury by Gordon Ogilvie, page 184:
"Edward Latter had come to New Zealand on the Travancore in 1851 with his father, Robert Latter. Edward was an astute businessman, running a merchant's firm at Lyttelton and a farm at Thorrington before opening a store at Akaroa in 1867 where he prospered exceedingly. Enormously energetic, able and public-spirited, he did more than anyone in his era for the advancement of Banks Peninsula. His property and business which also included an oyster farm at Barrys Bay, were managed and eventually owned by Edward and Mary Latter's oldest son, Robert after the Latters moved to Fendalton in 1883.
Though his Barrys Bay estate of 810 hectares was reduced to about half of its former size by subdivision and the sale of sections for the township of "Wicken" (the name did not stick) in 1879, Bob Latter became as much a squire in his part of the harbour as his father before him. He and Mary were renowned for their hospitality. Eminent as an auctioneer and stock dealer as well as a farmer, Bob Latter was also a born speculator and enjoyed taking a chance on anything, including a game of poker. When he died at New Brighton in 1929 he was virtually penniless and his Barrys Bay farm had been reduced to a mere 85 hectares. A grandson, Edward Latter, was later M.P. for Marlborough and served as New Zealand's High Commissioner in Canada before being appointed Director of Civil Defence in New Zealand in 1985."
Timaru Herald, 8 September 1896, Page 2
Mr Edward Circuit Latter, one of the early settlers of Canterbury, died at his residence, Fendalton, on Friday evening. Though he was not one of the pilgrims, his connection with Canterbury dates from the first year of the existence of the province, as he arrived at Lyttelton by the ship Travancore in 1851, when he was twenty-two years of age. He was born at Wicken, near London, in 1829, and in his youth was engaged in a merchant's office in London. For a short time after his arrival in New Zealand he remained in Lyttelton, but then joined the late Mr Innes a run in South Canterbury. He subsequently bought land at the foot of the Port Hills where he established a dairy farm. In 1862 he went to Akaroa and started to run the ss. Waimea between Akaroa, the Bays, Lyttelton and Timaru. While at Akaroa he built and resided in the house afterwards well-known as Wagstaffs Hotel. In 1879 he was appointed Land Tax Commissioner for Canterbury, and in 1884 Official Assignee in Bankruptcy for Canterbury, holding his office until the end of 1889, when he resigned in order to take the position of managing trustee of the estate of the late Mr R. H. Rhodes, which he retained until his death. Mr Latter was an active member of the Church of England, and was one of the oldest members of the Masonic fraternity in Canterbury, a kindly and generous man, respected by all for integrity and straightforwardness.
Star 7 August 1889, Page 4
Death of a Pioneer Settler. Mr Charles Munn
On Monday death claimed another of Canterbury's early settlers in the person, of Mr Charles Munn, who was generally, known and respected by the residents of the Rangiora district, amongst whom he lived and worked from the time the place was a wilderness of bush and swamp until about a year ago, when paralysis laid him by. He arrived in Lyttelton by the ship Travencore in 1851, five months after the Pilgrims, and after five years spent in the Bays and at Papanui, settled at Southbrook with his family, where he found employment in the bush. His death occurred at the Christchurch Hospital, where he had been taken for medical treatment.
Press 12 September 1935 Page 12
MR WILLIAM MUNN Mr William Munn, who died recently in his eightieth year, was a pioneer of Oxford, having lived and done business there for more than 60 years. Born in Southbrook in 1856 he was the youngest son of Mr Charles J6hn Munn, who arrived in New Zealand by the Travencore in 1851. He received his education at Mr Morton's school He began business in Oxford as a shoemaker and importer more than 60 years ago. His place of business being on the terrace, but when the railway was put through he went to live at the terminus, where he remained till his death. In 1881 he married Miss Jane Inch, the second daughter of Mr H. B. Inch, of Harewocd road, Oxford. In his younger days he was a well-known athlete. He was a member and chairman of the West Oxford School Committee, a member of the Oxford Racing Club, of the Oxford Sports Association, the Oxford Bowling Club, and of the Oxford Domain Board. He was an active member of the Oxford Lodge of Oddfellows, and was its treasurer for 34 years. His wife died five years ago. He leaves a family of five sons and two daughters, Messrs W. G. Munn (Oxford), H. A. Munn (Te Kuiti), S.D. Muun (Auckland), E. R. Munn (Dargnville), and F. Munn (Greymouth), end Mrs J. H. Youngman and Miss A. R. Munn (Oxford). Three of the sons served in the Great War, one receiving the Distinguished Conduct Medal.
PRIEST, Eliza Travencore was born to Francis Priest/Margaret Williams 13 Mar 1851 Pacific Ocean. Source. Births at Sea.
Press 17 June 1939 Page 2
MR AND MRS F. H. PRIEST FIRST WHITE CHILD BORN AT SUMNER To-day marks the sixty-eighth anniversary of the wedding of Mr and Mrs Frank H. Priest, which is being celebrated at their home at 10 Barbour street, Linwood. Mr and Mrs Priest were married at St. Mark�s Church, Heathcote Valley on June 17, 1871, by the Rev. Mr Cholmondeley. Their 13 children (six boys and seven girls) are all living. I n all there are 137 descendants, including 70 grandchildren and 54 great-grandchil-dren. Mr and Mrs Priest have seen Christchurch grow up from its infancy, Mrs Priest formally Louisa Ann Day, being the first white child born in Sumner, 86 years ago. Her father, Captain William Day, was the first white man to sail a vessel over the Sumner bar. In those days the-Heathcote river was navigable to what was then known as the quay, just above where the Radley bridge now stands. Her mother, whose maiden name was Selina Nankivell was in Lyttelton some time before the First Four Ships, and died in Christchurch at the age of 88 years. Mr Priest was three years old when he arrived in Lyttelton with his parents in the ship Travencore (sic), in 1851, just three months after the First Four Ships. He was born in London, of a Yorkshire father and Welsh mother. His parents later took up land in Okain�s Bay, on Banks Peninsula, where, they farmed for many years. They eventually lived in retirement at Woolston, where they died within three months of one another, the father being 93 and the mother 91. Mr Frank Priest followed the occupation of carpenter and in 1866 built a home for his parents in Okain�s Bay. He cut the timber straight from the bush. This house is still occupied, although the style has been altered a little. He also built the old Okain�s Bay School, which only this year has been replaced with a new one. Another building to his credit of earlier times is the Wharf Hotel at Woolston. Mr Priest is now 91 years old and has been a smoker since he was 17, so, in his jovial way, says tobacco is a slow poison. He recalls being intoxicated on rum when only 16, and that occasion taught him to be moderate for the rest of his life. He also remembers riding on the first passenger train which ran to Ferrymeade, beside the Heathcote. On his eighty ninth birthday anniversary he flew over Christchurch, and had a bird�s eye view of the expansion of the city since he first knew it as swamp and tussock.' While four of their family are in other parts of New Zealand, nine will be present at the celebration. Mr and Mrs Priest have lived in Canterbury all their lives.
George Alfred WHITE and Adeline Charlotte Smith were married St Annes, Westminster, London 3rd December 1850. They arrived Lyttelton on Travancore 31st March 1851and lived at Pigeon Bay where their first child was born. They then moved to Rangiora where George built a small house, but this was burnt down. After this they moved to Oxford and settled there. They had nine children, Adeline 1851, Alfred 1853, James 1856, Helen 1857, Walter 1858, Ernest 1861 (Bev's gt/gr/father), Flora 1864, Eva 1873. George was employed in the sawmilling industry and as a mail contractor. George died 6th April 1900 at his residence, Oxford West, aged of 68. Adaline 30th August 1914, both are buried in the Oxford cemetery.
George Alfred's parents, John and Elizabeth White, also came to New Zealand, arriving on the "Maori" on 14th July 1858. John died 15th November 1877 and Elizabeth 16th February 1879 at her late residence Salisbury street West, aged 79, both buried in the Christchurch cemetery. Information courtesy of Bev Day. Posted 13 Dec. 2005
"Travancore" from London to Geelong Australia 1849. Article in the Geelong Advertiser November 3, 1849
Master: Captain T. Brown
Rigging: Ship; sheathed in copper in 1848; fastened with iron bolts
Tonnage: 582 tons
Construction: 1848 in Cochin using Teak
Owners: Thomson & Co.
Port of registry: London
Port of survey: London
Voyage: sailed for New Zealand (1851-52); Madras (1853)
This page may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion, wholly or in part, except for private study.