Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports


New Zealand Bound

Shipping News
Otago Witness Saturday  February 8, 1851  page 1

Arrived. 17th, schooner, Titan, 161 tons, Craib, Master, from London - J.R. Johnston, & Co., Agents. Passengers - Messrs. Saunders, Shaw, Rev. Mr. Nicholson, Mr. Ralph Nicholson, Mr Daniel Macandrew, Mr Reynolds, Mrs Reynolds, and servant; Mr W.H. Reynolds, Mr T. Reynolds, Master R. Reynolds, Miss Reynolds, Mr and Mrs Macandrew, child and servant; 4 in steerage.
Sailed. 25th, the Titan, Craib, for Wellington. also 6 bales wool, produce of New Zealand - E M'Glashan.  Passengers - Mr Macandrew, cabin; Alexr, Stewart and J. Penton steerage.

March 8 1851

Arrived. Feb, 26, the Titan, 160 tons, Ferguson, Master, from Lyttelton and Port Victoria. Imports part of original cargo from London, and shipped at Wellington under bond - Macandrew. Transhipped, under bond, at Port Victoria from the Castle Eden, from London.

The 'Titan' is an iron built vessel, clipper schooner, elegantly fitted up for passengers direct from London, with the owner, James Macandrew, Esq., and a select party of immigrants, including the Rev. Nicolson, late of London Wall, who proceeds to Hobart Town, his previous destination.

June 7 1851

Arrived. May 26, Titan, Ferguson, from Hobart Town.
June 3, Titan, for California. Passengers - Mr Reynolds, Mr and Mrs Weatherall.

From the Alta California’s Marine Journal - Port of San Francisco arrived: August 15 1851:
Schooner Titan, Capt. Ferguson, 95 days from Hobart Town, via New Zealand 74 days; produce, to Reynolds and order. Three passengers: H. Brahen; L. Wetherall and lady.

June 21 1851

 Arrived. In the Titan, from Hobart Town. Passenger - Mr Reynolds.

January 10th 1852 We are glad to learn that the 'Titan' which left this port in June, arrived all well at California after a passage of 65 days, with her cargo in good condition. We understand that the Otago lime, of which she took a considerable quantity as ballast, has realised about 14s. a bushel.

March 13 1852

Sailed. March 8, the schooner Titan, 161 tons, Ferguson, master, for Wellington. Passengers - His Honor Mr Justice Stephen, Lady Stephen, Mr William Stephen, Miss Stephen, Miss Schultz, and servants.

Titan arrival Melbourne 8th Dec 1852. origin: Wellington
Titan departure Melbourne 24th Dec 1852. destination Sydney
Titan departure Sydney 8th Feb 1853. destination Madras

William Hunter Reynolds
The Otago immigration agent. He had originally came out to Otago in partnership his brother-in-law, James Macandrew, in their own vessel the Titan, an iron-hulled schooner, filled it with goods and family, arriving at Port Chalmers on 15 January 1851. His sister Eliza Hunter Reynolds had James Macandrew, on 17 October 1848 in London, later  Superintendent of Otago. On 7 October 1856, at Dunedin, Reynolds, age 34, married Rachel Selina, age 17, (1838–1928), daughter of William Pinkerton, an South Australian run-holder who came to Otago in 1855 the Amherst, a 170 -ton brig, to get away from the violence in South Australia. Reynolds made two trips to Melbourne and one to England to recruit immigrants. His wife Rachel accompanied him. The stormy voyage to England was a nightmare for her, desperately seasick and pregnant; the first of her nine children (five daughters and four sons) was born in England.  Rachel wrote Pioneering in Australia and New Zealand; Incidents in the Life of the Late Mrs W.H. Reynolds, Dunedin, N.Z. As Recounted By Herself : REYNOLDS, Rachel S. (1929). Published by the Otago Daily Times.

Otago Witness April 6 1899 page 15, 33 & 24 Death
REYNOLDS - At Monticello, Mornington, Dunedin, on Saturday, 1st April, William Hunter Reynolds, M.L.C., in his 77th year. The Funeral will leave for the Southern Cemetery on Tuesday, 4th April, at 2.30 o'clock. Survived by his widow, four sons, and five daughters. The eldest daughter is the wife of Mr G.L. Denniston, of this city, and the sons are Mr Leslie H. Reynolds (civil engineer), Mr. E.C. Reynolds (partner in the firm of Park, Reynolds, and Co.), Mr W.E. Reynolds (grain merchant) and Mr A.G. Reynolds.

Otago Witness April 6 1899 page 33 Death
CUNNINGHAME - On the 4th April, at his residence, Grey street, Port Chalmers, Jon Cunninghame, M.B.; aged 37 years. Dr John Cunninghame, the health officer at Port Chalmers, died on Tuesday. He was the son of the late Mr J. Cunninghame, of Milton, and was married to a daughter of the late Rev. W. Johnstone, Presbyterian minister of Port Chalmers, by whom he leaves an infant son.

    Grandson of W. H. Reynolds. 49/0224 8/697 L/CPL. W. H. REYNOLDS, N.Z.E.F. (William Hunter Reynolds, Otago Infantry Regiment., DOW France on Sunday 17 September 1916 . Age 20. Son of William Eric and Isabel Blair Reynolds, of 49, Lees St., Dunedin. Previously wounded at the Landing of Gallipoli.

Otago Witness Saturday April 6th 1899 page 15
Reference online:  'Papers Past' - a NZ National Library website. 

William Hunter Reynolds
 William Hunter Reynolds was the third son of Thomas Reynolds, who had been a lieutenant in the navy, but afterwards became a proprietor of cork plantations in Spain. He was born on the 1st May, 1822, at Chatham, Kent, but spent his early boyhood at Oporto, Portugal. In London he became connected to the Otago Association, Mr Reynolds, with his parents and other relatives (including his sister, Mrs James Macandrew, and her husband), and Mrs J.T. Wright, embarked in the schooner Titan, he first iron vessel that came to the colonies, and it landed them at Port Chalmers on the 17th January, 1851. Mr Reynolds obtained for a dwelling a house on High Street, the dimensions of which were 24ft by 12ft, consisting of a bedroom, sitting room, kitchen, and passage, and the site selected for the store was at the corner of Stafford and Manse streets. This site was a town section, and arrangements for the lease wee made with Captain Cargill, after which the store (erected by Mr James Macandrew) was speedily put up, proving more attractive in appearance than any other in the embryo of Dunedin. The cargo having been landed and stored.

Mr Reynolds again took ship on the Titan and started off on a voyage which kept him for nearly 12 months from Otago. The Titan on her voyage out, had part cargo for Hobart, and Mr Reynolds's intention was, after delivering that, to take the schooner to Twofold Bay for sheep for New Zealand. He was advised by his agents, however, to take a trip to California with a cargo of produce, and upon this advice he acted. Calling at Port Chalmers on his way to inform his relatives, he brought with him a consignment of tea, soup, flour, sugar and candles for Mr Macandrew's store, filling with barley, potatoes, and lime the space these goods had occupied. After an extraordinary quick trip passage the Titan arrived at San Francisco immediately after the June fire in 1851. There was no storage in the place for goods, which had to be landed from ships in enormous quantities, great sacrifices had to be made by the owners and Mr Reynolds was enabled to purchase goods of all descriptions at exceptionally low prices equal to 90 per cent. He had intended to proceed from San Francisco to Singapore, in order to bring down to Sydney or New Zealand a cargo of Eastern produce, but, the Titan having been filled with the miscellaneous stock he had secured at San Francisco, he abandon his intention of visiting Singapore and came direct to Sydney, where he disposed of the bulk of the cargo, bringing the remainder on to Otago, along with a consignment of cattle and sheep, which he purchased in his own account at Sydney. After payment of al expenses, including the charter of the ship, this venture returned him a profit of £8000 or £9000, but he parted with the Titan, and joined his brother-in-law, Mr James Macandrew, in the firm of James Macandrew and Co.

Mr Reynolds was one of the first Justice of the peaces in the colony, receiving upon his arrival, his appointment to the commission from the Lieutanant-govenor, who had received instructions from the Colonial Office in England to make the appointment, this step being due to the influence of Sir Thomas Baring. Upon his first arrival in the colony, also, Mr Reynolds received a despatch appointing him Lloyd's agent in New Zealand, and in this capacity he acted until about 11 years ago when he resigned in favour of Mr G.L. Denniston.

In 1853, the six original provinces having been established in the colony in terms of the Constitution Act, Mr Reynolds was one of the six successful candidates for the representative of the country districts, and he was the only man in the community who held the record of begin uninterruptedly a member of the Provincial council from its institution in September, 1853, until its abolition on November 1, 1875.

In the meantime he had undertaken for a time the editorship of the Otago Witness during the absence of Mr W.H. Cutten in the north on his parliamentary duties. Mr Reynolds found the duties neither very easy nor very remunerative. There were at the time only 130 subscribers, one copy of the paper- the price of which was sixpence- in several instances going round six individuals, each of whom paid his penny a week. Within a week of Mr Reynolds's undertaking the management of the paper, there was a general strike in the office owning to wages being in arrears. Mr Daniel Campbell, the printer, had come to Otago for five years under a guarantee given by Mr Reynolds and Messrs James and Daniel Macandrew; but Mr D. Macandrew had left the colony and Mr James Macandrew was abscene in Auckland, attending the session of the House of Representatives, and Mr Reynolds was consequently himself under liability to pay Mr Campbell. He undertook, however, to pay the arrears t the whole staff and, ascertaining an investigation that the receipts from the paper would not pay expenses, he canvassed the town and received (for those days) a large number of new advertisements, besides which, as customers came into his store, he canvassed them for subscriptions, with the result the circulation increased to nearly 300, and the paper had been made a paying concern.

In 1856 the firm with which Mr Reynolds was connected contracted with the Provincial Government to bring out some 2000 immigrants at a reduced rate of passage money, and he was obliged to go to London to complete the arrangements. He was accompanied on this voyage by his wife, to whom he was married on the 7th October, 1856. Prior to this, however, he had on two occasions visited Melbourne at the request of Captain Cargill, the then superintendent, as an immigration agent, and brought down about 700 passengers, besides giving information to a great many others who came to New Zealand afterwards. For his services on these missions he accepted no remunerations, the only expense to the province begin the cost of advertising. In 1863 Mr Reynolds returned to a seat in the House of Representatives, being elected for Dunedin and suburbs south after a contest with in which Sir Julius (then Mr) Vogel and Mr Cutten were his opponents... his residence at Monticello, to which he removed when he disposed of his dwelling at "Woodhead" (now the property of Mr Hugh MacNeill) to Mr Shadrach Jones, is a well known land mark in Dunedin. The grounds at Monticello have been cultivated and adorned with plants, shrubs and trees as to become a decided ornament to the city.