Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports

Shipping News  to Otago February 1883 
New Zealand Bound

Reference online: Papers Past Images online. NZ National Library.

January  | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December

Transcriptions from Otago Witness Saturday February 3rd 1883. Page 14.  transcribed by Helen

Thursday. Departures.

Per Arawata for the Bluff-
Macildere Mr

Per Arawata for Melbourne-
Clark 		Mr (2)
Cummings 	Miss
Erfurth 	Mr
Johnstone 	Mr J
Kerr 		Mrs
M'Gaw 		Mr and Mrs J
Michaelis 	Mr
Morris 		Mr E B
Taylor 		Mr
Wilson 		Mr

Monday. Arrival.

The Oamaru from Glasgow (November 9) brings 63 passengers, of whom 17 are saloon and 45 steerage. She has some 2000 tons of cargo for this port, about two-thirds of it being general and the remainder dead-weight. Her passage out has occupied 83 days from port to port, and 75 days from land to land, and this would have been materially lessened but for the fact of her meeting adverse winds at the outset.

Monday Departures.
Blitz for London. The German barquentine Blitz was towed to sea yesterday morning by the s.s. Little Denham, and sailed for London, taking a cargo of 924 bales wool, valued at 18,480.

No shipping entries for Otago Witness Saturday February 10th 1883.

Albany, Feb. 2nd.
The P. and O.'s Siam, with the Suez mail, arrived here yesterday. Amongst her passengers are Lord Charles Scott, Mr Redmond, M.P. for New Ross, and Tambarini (sic), Ireland. The latter will visit New Zealand. Mr Redmond was accorded an enthusiastic reception by the local supporters of the Land League.

An inquiry was held at Port Chalmers on Saturday, before Dr Drysdale, coroner, concerning the drowning of Frederick Chapman who was a passenger by the Tarawera, and fell off George street Pier on the night of her arrival. The jury found a verdict of "Accidental drowning," but added a rider censuring the Government for failing t o have the properly lighted.

Transcriptions Otago Witness Saturday February 17th 1883. Page 14

Thursday. Departures.

Per Te Anau for Melbourne-

Anderson 	Mrs and family (3)
Denham 		Mr and Mrs and family (3)
Drans 		Mr
Dunbar 		Mr and family
Innes 		Mr
Jones 		Mr
Puddy 		Mr
Ralebridge 	Mr
Scott 		Mr
Stent 		Mr
Stuart 		Miss
Thomson 	Mrs and family (2)

Monday. Arrival.

Per Mahinapua from Greymouth-
Allan 		Mr
Bowden 		Mr
Christie 	Mr
Kelly 		Mr
Labbett 	Mr J
M'Laren 	Mr J
Smith 		Mr T
And 6 steerage

Monday. Departure.

Per Penguin for Lyttelton-
Livingstone 	Miss

Per Penguin for Picton-
Stokes 		Mr

Per Penguin for Auckland-
Sibbald 	Mr

Tuesday. Arrivals.

Per Arawata from Melbourne-
Breckon 	Mr
Campbell 	Mr
Carter 		Mr
Cay 		Miss
Clapp 		Mr
Clapp 		Mrs
Davies 		Mrs and child
Donald 		Mr
Gowyn 		Miss
Hamilton 	Mr
Hamilton 	Mrs
Hastie 		Misses (2)
Haworth 	Mr
Hunter 		Mr
Leys 		Miss
M'Fee 		Mr
M'Gregor 	Mr
Noakes 		Mr
Ritchie 	Mr
Stewart 	Mrs and 2 children
And 23 steerage.

Arrival Arawata from Bluff-
Corbin 		Mrs
Deck 		Miss
Deck 		Mrs
Foster 		Mrs
Hislop 		Mr
Ward 		Mr
Young 		Miss

The ship Mongomery Castle has discharged about 200 tons of cargo.

The barque Southern Belle is rapidly discharging her cargo at the George Street wharf.

The schooner Zior has put out about 60 tons of coal.

The barque Mennock has a little dead-weight cargo to put out, and after taking in her stiffening ballast will commence load for London. There is a large quantity of cargo ready for her in the New Zealand Shipping Company's sheds, and she will have quick dispatch.

The ship Nelson will be ready for sea by the end of this week. She has already taken in 3200 bales of wool, 6 bales of leather, 30 casks of tallow, 2400 sacks of grain and flour and 60 casks of flour. We hear she has already a number of passengers on her list, and being a favourite vessel, will no doubt take a full complement.

Wednesday. Departures.

Per Arawata for Lyttelton-
Edgar 		Mr
Gostenhofer 	Mr
Holworthy 	Mr

Per Arawata for Wellington-
Carey 		Miss
Davies 		Miss
Gray 		Miss
MacGeorge 	Miss

Per Arawata for Napier-
Mackenzie 	Mr

Per Arawata for Auckland-
Adams         	Mr
Duthie 		Miss
Duthie 		Mr
Kirkland 	Mrs
Kirkland 	Rev Mr
Mackie 		Mrs and 2 children
Mackie 		Rev L

Wednesday. Arrivals.

Per Waitaki from Timaru-
Armstrong 	Miss
Bransgrove 	Mrs
Chapman 	Mr
Hitch 		Miss
Jenkins 	Mr
Jenkins 	Mrs
Levin 		Miss
M'Kenzie 	Mr
And 4 steerage.

Per Rotomahana from Sydney via the North-
From Sydney:
Fyfe 		Mr
M'Neven 	Mr
Wade 		Mr

From the North:
Annistead 	Mr
Bates 		Miss
Bates 		Mrs
Berry 		Rev J
Black 		Miss
Butterworth 	Mr
Cannon 		Miss
Carad[u?] 	Mr
Carmichael 	Miss
Carter 		Mr
Cochrane 	Misses (3) and nurse
Cochrane 	Mr
Cochrane 	Mrs
Cook 		Mr
Coster 		Mr
Deudney 	Mr
Dixon 		Mr
Fitzsimmons 	Mr
Glasgow 	Miss
Hereshilwood 	Mrs
Hill 		Miss
Holmes 		Miss
Houston 	Mr
Huggins 	Mr
Jacobson 	Mr
Johnson 	Misses (2)
Johnson 	Mr
Johnson 	Mrs
Laidlaw 	Mr
M'Donald 	Miss
M'Gill 		Miss
M'Gill 		Mrs
M'Neill 	Mr
Marks 		Master
Mason 		Master
Mason 		Miss
Moss 		Miss
On 		Mr
Pearce 		Mr
Robins 		Mr
Stokes 		Mr
Utting 		Mr
Utting 		Mrs
Waddell 	Mrs
Warren 		Miss
White 		Mr
White 		Mrs
Wills 		Mr
Woymahan 	Miss
And 18 steerage.

A telegram was received in Dunedin from Fortrose early on Friday afternoon to the following effect:-
"Pioneer struck bar and drifted upon rocks at East Head. Heavy sea breaking over her. Likely to become total loss. All Hands landed safe. Please advise all interested."

A later telegram runs thus:-
"Pioneer now total wreck. Cargo coming ashore. Hull Submerged."

The Pioneer was a schooner of 23 tons, and left Dunedin for Fortrose on the 1st February. She was the joint property of Captain M'Callum, of Port Chalmers and Mr Mattheson, signalmaster at Fortrose.

Captain Mattheson is understood to hold an insurance policy of 100 on the vessel in the New Zealand office, but Captain M'Callum is uninsured. Inquiry.


Per Invercargill, Captain Muir from London December 5th-
For Otago, New Zealand (consigned to the British and New Zealand Mortgage Co.):
[also see  Otago Witness Saturday March 10th 1883. Page 14]

M'Cance 	John
Pernet 		George

Second cabin:
Arthur 		Helena
Arthur 		Mrs E M
Coe 		Gertrude
Coe 		H H
Horsey 		W
Piper 		Ebenezer
Stewart 	Ella
Stewart 	R B
Stewart 	Robert
Taylor 		David H
Taylor 		George

Buchanan 	J A
Callick 	J
Cargill 	Margaret
Cargill 	Matilda
Cargill 	Thomas
Carson 		Arthur A
Carson 		Emily E
Carson 		John J
Carson 		Mary G
Carson 		Ruth
Carson 		Ruth A
Carson 		S A
Carson 		W D
Fossey 		Emily
Morris 		Elizabeth
Morris 		May
Rowley 		Theresa
Smith 		Joseph
Sneyd 		Arthur
Sneyd 		Charles F
Sneyd 		Elizabeth
Sneyd 		Henry
Sneyd 		Nancy L
Sneyd 		R

Per Wellington, Captain Cowan, from Glasgow December 7th and Greenock 9th. For Otago-

Lockhart 	Mr A S
And 300 adults in the steerage.

Per Siam from London December 21st,

for Lyttelton-
Raine 		Mr T J

Per Siam for Dunedin-
Howden 		Mr C R

Per Tanjore, to leave Venice December 29th and Brindisi, January 1st.

For Port Chalmers-
Godley 		Mr and Mrs and nurse

Per Waitangi, Captain A Friston, from London December 22nd, for Otago-

Beaven 		Mr Isaac
Brown 		Mr John H
Fitzgerald 	Dr
Marychurch 	Mr Henry
Mumford 	Mr George B
Proctor 	Miss Elizabeth
Proctor 	Miss Esther
Robins 		Miss E J
Skinner 	Mr Joseph T
Squires 	Mr John H
Squires 	Mr John W
Squires 	Mrs Catherine
Tucker 		Miss Ellen F
Tucker 		Mr Alfred
Tucker 		Mr Arthur
Tucker 		Mr Eldred
Tucker 		Mr Norman
Tucker 		Mrs Ellen
Tucker 		William F

Allbones 	Walter
Catte 		Evelyn
Catte 		George F
Catte 		Naomi
Catte 		Una
Coller 		Elizabeth
Coller 		William
Conwan 		Michael
Gatschlag 	Augusta
Gatschlag 	Hannah
Gatschlag 	Karl
Gatschlag 	William
Horrox 		John
Kind 		Clement
Kind 		Frederick
Kind 		Patience
Legg 		Thomas
Metcalf 	Fowles
Moran 		Christopher
Phelan 		Agnes
Phelan 		Mary A
Phelan 		Mary M
Rothwell 	John
Smith 		Agnes
Smith 		Charles
Smith 		Edgar
Smith 		George
Smith 		Mary A
Smith 		William G
Stevens 	William
Thorley 	Branton
Walters 	John G

Transcriptions Otago Witness Saturday February 24th 1883. Page 14

Thursday. Departures.

Per Rotomahana for the Bluff-
Amisted 	Mr

Per Rotomahana for Hobart-
Belcher 	Mr and Mrs
Priest 		Mr

Per Rotomahana for Melbourne-
Bristow 	Miss
C[a?u?]nningham Mr
Gibson 		Miss
Gibson 		Mr
Jack 		Mr A [H?R?]
Kelly 		Mrs and family
Kenning 	Mr and Mrs
Llewellyn 	Mr
Quinn 		Miss
Routledge 	Mr and Mrs and 4 children
Stewart 	Mrs and family

Friday. Arrival.
Per Wanaka from Northern ports-

Barker 		Mr
Brown 		Mr
Cumming 	Mr
Downes 		Mrs F G and family
Paul 		Mr
Rodrigues 	Miss (2)
Rodrigues 	Mr
Stack 		Miss
The Tambour Major Company (27)
Vigeo 		Mr
Weatherburn 	Miss
Weatherburn 	Mr
And 10 steerage

Saturday. Arrivals.
Per Wakatipu from Sydney-

Bennett 	Mr
Berens 		Mr
Bolton 		Mr
Ellison 	Mr and Mrs
Fletcher 	Mr
Grant 		Miss
Greeson 	Mr
Heany 		Mrs
Johnson 	Mr
Jones 		Mr
Lean 		Mr and boy
Slim 		Miss
Slim 		Mrs
Telfer 		Mr
Webb 		Mr and Mrs and family
Williams 	Mr
And 8 steerage

Per Waitaki from Timaru-

Allen 		Miss
Cochrane 	Mr
Harper 		Mr
Johnston 	Mr
Moir 		Miss
Nicholson 	Mr
Pratt 		Mr
Thomson 	Mr
Walker 		Mrs
Webster 	Mr
Tuesday. Arrivals.
Per Manapouri from Melbourne-
Adams 		Mr
Blake 		Mr
Burt 		Mrs J
Burt 		Mrs T
Carr 		Miss 
Carr 		Mr
Chalmers 	Mrs
Crosfield 	Mr
Dyer 		Mr
Dyer 		Mrs
Farrell 	Mr
Ferguson 	Miss
Godby 		Mr
Godby 		Mrs infant and nurse
Harvey 		Miss
Harvey 		Mr
Harvey 		Mr
Harvey 		Mrs
Howden 		Mr
Kempthorne 	Mr
Matheson 	Mr
O'Meagher 	Mrs
Potton 		Mr
Renard 		Mr
Renard 		Mrs
Stephens 	Miss
Warburton 	Mr

Per Manapouri from Hobart-
Farnillo 	Mrs
Goold 		Mr

Per Manapouri from Bluff-
Dale 		Miss
M'Cormick 	Miss
Murphy 		Mr
And 28 steerage

Wednesday. Departures.

Per Manapouri for Lyttelton-
Armisted 	Mr
Crooks 		Mr
Prince 		Mr W

Per Manapouri for Wellington-
Brown 		Mr P
Cruickshanks 	Mr and Mrs

Per Manapouri for Napier-
Fulton 		Miss
Fulton 		Mrs
George 		Mrs and 3 children
Hindmarsh 	Mr

Per Manapouri for Gisborne-
Browne 		Mr
Johnstone 	Mr
Sma[i?l?]l 	Mrs

Per Manapouri for Auckland-
Bateman 	Mr and Mrs
Condon 		Mr
Craig 		Mrs
Glover 		Miss
Harkness 	Mr
Hunter 		Mr and Mrs
Ki[r?t?]chner 	Mrs
M'Rae 		Mr
Moses 		Mr
Murdoch 	Mr J
Scott 		Mr M
Skinner 	Mrs
Westcott 	Mr

Wednesday. Arrivals.
Per Waitaki from Timaru-

Dark 		Miss
Davis 		Miss
Dawson 		Mr
Dodd 		Mr
Hay 		Mr
M'Beath 	Mr
Murphy 		Mr 
Priest 		Mr
Smith 		Mr
Walker 		Mrs
Wilson 		Mr
And 6 steerage

Per Manapouri from the North-
Adams 		Mr
Birch 		Mr
Blackadder 	Mr
Crowe 		Miss
Crowe 		Mr
Fraser 		Mr
Fulton 		Mr
Gro[s?][e?s?] 	Miss
Hudson 		Mr
Kidd 		Mr
Kingdom 	Miss
Lakeman 	Miss (2)
Levy 		Mr
M'Gregor 	Mr
Moore 		Mr
Rees 		Miss
Rees 		Mrs
Rolleston 	Mr (2)
Rosk[ru?]ge 	Miss
Sutherland 	Mr
Thompson 	Mr
And 10 steerage

The voyage from Plymouth of the ship Euterpe, an old Canterbury visitor, in command of Captain Phillips, to Sydney, with 308 immigrants, has been a sad one. The ship reached her destination the other day, and was quarantined. The steward, named Underwood, died of dysentery; a young woman also met her death by asphyxia, caused by a piece of meat sticking in her throat, and eight children died of scarlet fever.

The Duchess of Argyle, with 425 immigrants, arrived at the same time, reporting 12 deaths from scarlet fever and measles.

Wreck of the Pioneer
An inquiry was held at the Customhouse on Friday afternoon, before the acting Collector of Customs (Mr Chamberlain), with Captain Thomson as nautical assessor, concerning the wreck of the schooner Pioneer at Toi-Tois on the 9th inst.

Captain H. L. Pratt deposed that he brought up in Toi-Tois Bay on Thursday, the 8th inst., at daybreak. The wind was north, off shore, and he waited until he got signals at tide time, 10.30 a.m. The vessel worked up to the bar, but could not get in, there being too much sea and a light wind off shore. He then stood out, and brought up in the bay in four fathoms of water. About 9 a.m. next day the signal was given, "Wait for tide." The wind was then blowing from W.S.W., or a little to the south. They reefed the sails and made ready for going in as soon as they got the signal. About 11.15 a.m. they got the signal to take the bar. They got over the bar, but took the ground on the lee spit, just at the inner edge of the bar. The semaphore was steady as they took the bar, but just as they struck, it was hauled up for them to starboard the helm and keep more to windward. The vessel was then on the south side of the entrance, about 50 yards or less from the rocks. She then hardened up on to the rocks, the sea making a clean breach over her, and the wind driving her further on. In about an hour she broke to pieces, and the cargo began to wash ashore. Witness and the two men composing the crew got on shore by means of a line. He attributed the accident partly to the bar being taken early on the tide, and partly to the semaphore working stiffly. It was about half tide when the vessel struck. There were no leading beacons, vessels being guided in by semaphore. He had been about nine months trading in the vessel to Toi-Tois. As far as he could remember, he had not taken the bar so early on the tide. There had, however, lately been a fresh in the river, which gave more water, and there was a good spring tide. The sea was breaking over the vessel occasionally before getting under way, and the anchor had to be slipped. The vessel might have ridden out until night with difficulty, but would not have done so until the following daylight tide. Probably the harbour-master gave him the signals early on the tide, as he thought the vessel was in danger while at anchor outside. The spit shifts very much, and on that day the two spits overlapped. He believed that when he took the bar it was half tide, or less. The owners were Captain M'Callum, of Port Chalmers and Captain Matheson, the harbour-master at Toi-Tois.
Captain Thomson asked the witness if he told him that is was high water at Toi-Tois at 12.54 on the day of the wreck, whether he would still say it was only half flood when the signal was given to take the bar.
Witness: Captain Matheson told me it was half-tide at the time, and from my own observation I saw the flood tide running in up to 3 p.m. and after.
Frederick Johnston, one of the crew, corroborated the evidence given by the master.
Thomas O'Brien deposed: I was first hand on board the Pioneer, and remember the morning of 9th February. We got the signal to take the bar between 11 and 12 a.m. We had to slip the anchor, there being too much sea to get it up, and the sea was breaking over us as we lay. We could not lie there any longer, with the wind and sea increasing as it was, and we could not fetch out of the bay against it. The wind was W.S.W., blowing a gale. We got to the bar about 10 or 15 minutes after we slipped, and got safely over it, but grounded on the north spit, and she then slewed round and went on to the rocks. We walked ashore on the rocks between the seas and shortly afterwards the vessel broke up. I believe it was about half-flood when we got the signals, and there was plenty of water over the bar, but we struck inside it. I don't think the harbour-master gave us the signals sooner than he should have done. There was plenty of water on the bar, and we were in danger as we lay at anchor. We could not have lain there any longer.
(The evidence will be forwarded to the Marine Department at Wellington.)