Search billions of records on

NZ Bound   Index   Search   Hints    Lists   Ports


New Zealand Bound

The following is a transcript from the
The Star, 8th August 1878, pg 2  online on the National Library of NZ website

Arrived Lyttelton August 7 - Olive, ship, 817 tons, McCracken, from London. New Zealand Shipping Company, agents.

Saloon -  
McCracken 	Mr and Mrs 
Shaw 		Mr G.T. 
Second cabin - 
Meyer 		Mrs and two children
Parker 		Mr F
Slade  		Mr William
Horne 		Mr Samuel
Steerage - 
Bassett 	Mr J
Brittenden 	Mr F
Gordon 		Mr F
Hamilton 	Mr Robert
King 		Mr E
Kyles 		Mr P
Lenaghan 	Miss Eliza
McGoverns 	Misses (2)
Manley 		Mr J.O.
Minehen 	Mr John
Rowe 		Mr J
Watts 		Mr W.J.

The Olive is a handsome iron vessel, four years old, owned by Henry Ellis of London, and commanded by Captain McCracken. She has been running in the East India trade heretofore. She brings three saloon, six second-cabin, and thirteen steerage passengers and a large general cargo consigned to the New Zealand Shipping Company. The voyage has occupied 106 days from the Downs, and 101 from land to land. The Olive brings one passenger less than embarked owing to the death taking place on July 31. Mr George Cotton, one of the second-cabin passengers, died of consumption. He had been ill all though the voyage, and gradually sank, having been confined to his bed for eight weeks. On his coming on board it was notice that he was in a very bad state of health, and he undertook the voyage with the hope of improving it. The second and third cabin passengers were located in the 'tween cabin decks aft, and certainly they had most uncomfortable quarters; there was no light whatever beyond that derived from the scuttle when open. During heavy weather a considerable quantity of water found its way down there, and rendered matters more unpleasant. The place was in a very dirty state.

The Olive left London April 21, and passed Deal on April 23. The trades were lost in 9 north on may 18; variable winds were then experienced to 17 miles south of the Line, where the south-east trades were caught on may 24th, the equator being crossed that day. Passed Otago Heads on Tuesday; sighted the peninsula at 4 p.m. yesterday; and arrived at anchor, in tow of the p.s. Titan, at 4 p.m.

On May 29 while in the south-east trades the wind freshened to a heavy gale, which split the mainsail, and carried away three topgallant sails, two upper topsails, three royals, inner and outer jib and jib boom, the wind blowing with hurricane force.

The following ships were spoken during the passage:-
Ship British King, London to Colonies, 5 days out in Channel
April 23 - Forest King, ship, bound Home
Same date, Zeno, barque, also homeward bound
May 7 - San Louis, English ship, Liverpool to Buenos Ayres, 14 days out.
May 10 -a steamer of Donald Currie's line, bound to London from Cape, passed.
May 13, ship Bedfordshire, London to Sydney, 23 days out.
May 14, barque, South Esk, London, to Moreton Bay with immigrants, 16 days out.
June 8, exchanged signals with ship Devonshire, of Glasgow, Dunedin to Calcutta, 57 days out.
Same day, George Arkle, of Fowey, from Cardiff to Cape Town, 61 days out.