New Zealand Gazette and Wellington Spectator, 29 August 1840, Page 3
Friday, August 28, 1840.
Mr. John Pierce, late of Birmingham
Mr. W. Elsdon, late of London
Mr. Richard Hight
Mr. J. Lancaster, late of London
Mr. Josias Tucker, late of Cornwall
Mr. Griffin, late steward of the Cuba
Mr. Rogers, late of Cornwall
Mr. Martin, mariner.
Nelson Examiner and New Zealand Chronicle, December 1862, Page 2
On the 29th December, suddenly, at his residence, Waimea-west, of apoplexy, Mr. John Kerr, sen., farmer, aged 68 years. Mr. Kerr was one of the earliest Nelson settlers, having arrived here in the Fifeshire, on the 1st of February, 1842. Mr. Kerr put the first plough into the soil in the Nelson settlement, on the town acre then belonging to the Union Bank of Australia, now occupied by T. Council, Esq., and was regarded as the patriarch of our Nelson agriculturists, as, with the exception of the Messrs. Tytler, he was the earliest cultivator of a farm in Nelson. In the early days of the settlement the hospitality of Waimea-west was dispensed by Mr. Kerr with a liberal hand. He was much and generally respected, and was the representative of Waimea-west in the Provincial Council.
Evening Post, 14 August 1879, Page 2 Death.
Whitford - On the 11th August, at the Wellington Hospital, J.H. P. Whitford, late surgeon of the ship Waimate, aged 24 years. Christchurch and Lancashire papers please copy.
Star 29 October 1881, Page 3
M'Intosh � Oct.. 29, at his residence, Chester street, Christchurch, Mr A. M'Intosh, aged 82. Deeply regretted.
Elsewhere we have to chronicle the death of another old colonist. On Feb. 22 we drew attention to the death of Mr McIntosh, of McIntosh Bay. Her husband, Mr Alex. McIntosh, has now departed from our midst, at the ripe age of 82. The gentleman in question armed with his wife and family in Wellington by the ship London, early in 1840. In 1848 they removed to the Bay which now bears their name, on Banks' Peninsula, being the first settlers in that district. The McIntosh's are related by marriage to many leading families on the plains, and the death of Mr McIntosh will be regretted alike by many relatives, and by a wide circle of friends.
Timaru Herald, 17 March 1882, Page 2
On of an Old Colonist. Mrs Thomas Kempson, who claimed to be the first white woman who landed at Port Nicholson, died recently at Greytown, aged 73. She landed with her husband from the ship Adelaide, in March, 1840, after a voyage of six months. Mrs Kempson was unwell on arriving in port, and before taking liar ashore a small ti-tree whare was put up for her on or near where the New Zealand Insurance Company office now stands. The family subsequently became the pioneers of settlement in the Greytown district.
Timaru Herald, 17 November 1883, Page 2 Death of an Old Colonist
The death at the age of 63, of Mrs Marshman, the wife of Mr John Marshman, so well known it Canterbury, is announced in the Home News of October 4th. Mr and Mrs Marshman, if we remember right, went home in the Lady Jocelyn on her last trip. Mrs Marshman died in Kingston-on-Thames on September 21st. There are few old settlers but will regret to hear of her decease.
Poverty Bay Herald, 3 February 1888, Page 3
Our cablegrams recently notified the death in England of Mr George Duppa, of New Zealand. The Nelson Mail furnishes some interesting information of his career in the colony, and states that he arrived in Wellington in the Oriental in 1840. Two years later he settled in Nelson, with other pioneer farmers. The same year he went up to New South Wales, and brought from there the first importation of cattle to Nelson and splendid beasts they were, the well-known "bow and arrow" brand being much sought after for many years afterwards. He afterwards took up land in the Upper Motueka Valley, and in 1847, when the Wairiu was open for settlement, he took up the Birch Hill run in the Wairau Valley, and drove sheep through the Big Bush and paced them on it. Subsequently he sold the run to Mr Schrodor, and purchased the Sir Leonards run in the Amuri, which in 1862 he sold for �150,000, and two years later returned to England, where he has ever since resided at Holingbourne House, in Kent, the family estate. He married Miss Miles, a relative of Sir Phillip Miles, of the form of Miles and Co., of Bristol and London, and by her he had a small family.
Star 20 August 1888, Page 2
Davis. August 17, at the residence of her son in law, Mr W. Langdown, of Sydenham, Mary Ann, relict of the late Rowland Robert Teape Davis in her eighty-fourth year. (Arrived in Wellington, New Zealand, per Aurora, Jan. 22 1840.)
Star 10 October 1888, Page 3
Another of our oldest settlers has passed away by the death at Ashburton on Monday, the age of seventy-four, of Mrs Ranker, who arrived at Nelson in the ship Sir William Forbes which brought the wives and families of the pioneer settlers who came out under the auspices of the New Zealand Expedition Company. The late Mr William Maddock was a passenger by the same vessel. Mr James Ranger, husband of deceased, was a farmer in Nelson for some years, but afterwards removed to Blenheim, remaining there till his death, about eight years ago, at the age of seventy. Mrs Ranger then joined her son and daughter at Ashburton, with whom she resided until her death. Mrs Ranger shared in the vicissitudes of the early settlers. At the time she landed at Nelson there was only one house there, inhabitants living in whares.
Otago Witness 30 January 1890, Page 33 R. B. WILSON.
One of the earliest of New Zealand settlers still alive is the subject of this sketch, Born at Whitby, a noted seaport in Yorkshire, in 1827, he was bound apprentice in the ship Oriental, of which his father was captain, in 1839, being then only 12 years of age. He made his first voyage to New Zealand towards the end of that year, arriving in January 1840. Among the noted passengers brought out by the Oriental the named of Fitzherbert, Featherstone, Mantell, Wakefield, and others are indelibly impressed on New Zealand history. In the first rush to Wellington four ships were engaged to carry the willing emigrants, of which the Oriental was one ; and as they lay in Wellington Harbour her captain, as the oldest of the lot, was dubbed Commodore, and to perpetuate the name of the ship that snug harbour Oriental Bay was named after the vessel. The Oriental was an armed vessel, carrying 14 guns on each side to defend the ship, cargo, and passengers from any hostile attack of the natives, who, however, made only one of a friendly nature� an attempt to drive a bargain for the sale of some potatoes. The Oriental left Wellington Harbour for Taranaki when Captain King was in charge and the celebrated naturalist Dieffenbach was pursuing his investigations, travelling for miles without meeting a native, and seeing no signs of man except deserted plantations. Unfortunately, here the Ship lost her false keel and received other damage, which caused her to run back to Wellington for repairs. Ten years afterwards (in 1850) Sir William Fitzherbert chartered the ship, to convey a lot of stock from Sydney to Canterbury, Wilson being the second mate. The cargo consisted of 1750 sheep, 61 cattle, 24 horses, a lot of general merchandise, and as passengers had a number of young fellows on the look-out for runs. Returning to Australia the same year Wilson abandoned the seafaring life, and betook himself to gold digging, or anything else his hand could find to do. In this way about 10 years were passed, when in 1860 he crossed over to Otago, and leasing a piece of land from the Hon Mr Holmes took to the occupation of farming, and afterwards hazarded a venture at Gabriel's Gully, which turned out satisfactorily. Wilson is a married man, and his wife and family reside in Dunedin.
Wanganui Chronicle, 10 February 1891, Page 2
Obituary notice of the late Hon. Sir William Fitzherbert, the New Zealand Times
Born in 1810 at Houghton, and was the third son of the Rev. Samuel Fitzherbert, rector of Houghton, near Yewil, in Dorsetshire. He began his education at a dame school at the age of four, and there acquired the fine memory which has ever been a theme of admiration during his career. Leaving the dame school, young Fitzherbert was sent to the Sherburn Grammar School, after which he went to the "Merchant Taylor's," and later on was entered at Queen's College, Cambridge. Besides mental acquirements, Fitzherbert had a good physical record, being a great oarsman, and attaining ultimately the position of stroke of the University Eight. He was also the best boxer and all-round athlete of his day. Among his contemporaries at Cambridge were Bishop Selwyn, of New Zealand, and Bishop Perry, of Melbourne. Having taken his M.D. at the Royal College of Physicians, he settled down in practice at Hanover Square and there married a Miss Leigh, who was so well-known and respected in Wellington in after years. In 1842 Mr Fitzherbert sailed for New Zealand in |the schooner Lady Leigh (80 tons) which he purchased and named after his wife. Dr Fitzherbert had previously sent some �10,000 for investment in land, but as things did not seem to prosper he made up his mind to go out to the colony and realise, but soon after his arrival found this to be out of the question, so made up his mind to stay in New Zealand and send for his wife and son. The earthquake of 1850 caused Doctor Fitzherbert and his fellow settlers at Port Nicholson to decide upon leaving New Zealand for Australia. The ship Sobraon was chartered by him and filled with passengers and- cargo, but she got no further than Barrett's reef, on which the ship got stuck. This mishap caused the would be emigrants to return and ultimately settle down again in Welling-1 ton, where Fitzherbert remained and carried on business as a merchant and shipowner. He took up his residence at the Lower Hutt. ...
Evening Post, 17 October 1892, Page 3
Mr. David Lewis, who was for many years connected with the New Zealand Company. Mr. Lewis was born in London 90 years ago, and was brought up to the trade of a hatter. When he was 33 years of age he emigrated to New Zealand in the ship Oriental, which arrived here in 1840, his intention being to start in business with Mr. Duppa, who came out at the same time. Mr. Duppa, however, went on to Auckland soon after landing here, but before he left for the North he recommended Mr. Lewis to Col. Wakefield, and this gentleman took the subject of our notice into the service of the New Zealand Company, and he occupied the position of Land Commissioner under that corporation until about 12 years ago, when the affairs were finally wound up. Mr. Lewis lived off Tinakori-road for many years, and Lewisville-terrace was named after him...
Otago Witness, 18 January 1894, Page 27
McNie - On the 12th January 1894, at Waikiwi, Invercargill, Alexander M'Nie, native of Stirling-shire, Scotland ; in his ninety-first year. Arrived in New Zealand in 1859 by the Cheviot from Greenock. Home papers please copy.
Otago Daily Times 2 September 1885, Page 2
Among the late obituary notices (says the Lyttelton Times) appears that of Mr Mark Pringle Stoddart. This gentleman was one of the first settlers who came to the Colony from Australia, He arrived from Sydney in March 1851, and almost immediately formed a sheep station on the Rakaia, now the property of Sir John Hall. He afterwards purchased the estate called by him Diamond Harbour, where he resided for many years. To the storm-stayed traveller to Pigeon Bay and Akaroa his frank and warm hospitality, and that of Mrs Stoddart, was always heartily extended in those days, when roads and steamers were unknown. Mr Stoddart held a seat in the old Provincial Council for Port Victoria, and was consistent and honest in his views. Although not so distinguished an angler as his late brother, Mr Tone T. Stoddart, he was equally enthusiastic in the sport, and took great interest in the labours of the Acclimatisation Society. Some years since he paid a long visit to Scotland, and since his return has resided at Fendaltou with his family He died on Friday after a short illness, in his 67th year. His stalwart form and genial humour will be greatly missed in his wide circle of friends for many a day. [father of M.O. Stoddart the Canterbury watercolourist ]
Ashburton Guardian, 17 February 1896, Page 2
THE LATE MR WILLIAM MITCHELL. We regret to have to chronicle the death yesterday of Mr William Mitchell, of the firm of Mitchell and Turner, , drapers and clothiers, of this town. Mr Mitchell had been ill seriously and painfully ill for six months. He had had an attack of influenza, from which arose developments of a more dangerous character, and though at times he showed hopeful signs, and was able to be removed to a distance in the hope of improvement from the change, it latterly became evident that the end was near, and he succumbed as above stated. Mr Mitchell came to the colony thirty years ago, arriving at Dunedin in the ship Chile. He was then quite a youth, and at once embarked in the hard, rough life of the early pioneer. He worked for a considerable time in the bush, and then entered into partnership with Mr Henry Turner, a partnership which has existed for over twenty-seven years. The partners bought the business of Mr Yelvin, at Temuka, but extended their operations over a great extent of country. Ashburton offering a better business field than the southern ground the firm! anchored here, and have built up a substantial business. Mr Mitchell was a native of Thornhill, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, and was only forty-eight years of age when he died. He took no hand in public business, being of too quiet and unobtrusive a nature, but in private and business life he showed the possession in a marked degree of those good qualities which earn for a man the respect of his fellows and troops of friends Mr Mitchell leaves a widow and grown up family.
Star 23 April 1898, Page 7
Mr J. J. KING. Mr John James King, a well-known settler of the Killinchy and Dunsandel districts, died suddenly at his residence in Killinchy on Thursday afternoon last. It appears that the deceased was about to commence his midday meal, when he staggered, and, being caught by his son, expired in his arms. Mr King had been away from home for a fortnight, and had only just returned a few minutes before his death. The deceased was a very early New Zealand settler, having arrived at Wellington in the Alma in 1857. He resided in Wellington for a few years, but subsequently came to Canterbury, where he has since lived. A few years ago, Mr King was a very large runholder, and some of the best sheep stations of the Selwyn and Dunsandel have passed through his hands. He settled down in the farm he occupied at the time of his death.
Ellesmere Guardian, 22 April 1899, Page 3
Mrs. S. MILLAR, Doyleston. Another of the very earliest pioneers of this district passed away yesterday in the person of Mrs & Millar, Doyleston, who died peacefully after a long and painful illness. The deceased lady, who was in her 55th year, came from County Down, Ireland, in the ship Canterbury, arriving in Lyttelton in 1864. Soon after her arrival she was married to the late Mr S. Millar, who died about three years ago. It may be supposed the lady had a rough life in common with the rest of the pioneers of those early days. The deceased lady leaves four sons ranging from 14 years upwards. The funeral is advertised for Monday next.
Timaru Herald, 27 April 1899, Page 3
Christchurch. April 26. An old identity in the person of Mr David Scott, builder, died yesterday, aged 65. He arrived in Lyttelton in December, 1863, by the ship David G Fleming, and for upwards of 35 years was engaged in the building trade without a break. .
Otago Witness 2 November 1899, Page 47
Another old resident died at an early hour on the 24th ult., in the person of Mr James Smith. Born at Fettercairn, Kincardineshire, Scotland, on September 3, 1820, he emigrated to Otago in 1849, arriving here by the ship Kelso. With his partner, Mr Marshall (trading as Smith and Marshall), he opened one of the earliest grocery businesses in Dunedin, their shop being in Manse street. In 1862 Mr Smith was married to Miss Isabella Park, a sister of the late Mr W. Park (Park and Curie), of Princes street, and of Mr Gavin Park, of Mount Somers, (Canterbury). He is survived by a widow and three children, of whom the eldest, Mr J. Park Smith, in the employ of the Union Steam Ship Company; the second is Mrs P. F. Cahill, Auckland : and the third, who is unmarried, resides with her parents.
Clutha Leader, 5 January 1900, Page 6
The late Mrs Sandilands whose death we recorded last week, was born in 1809, in Peebleshire, Scotland. When a young girl she removed with her parents to the farm of Coats, Haddingtonshire, where she was married in 1838. She continued to reside in the same locality till 1852 when she removed with her husband and family to Edinburgh, and came to Otago in 1858 by the Jura, arriving at the heads on 24th December of that year. The family first settled at Highcliff on the Peninsula, but in 1862 removed to Toiro where they resided till Mr Sandilands' death in the end of 1877. Mrs Sandilands and her son, Mr John Sandilands, of Balclutha, then left their farm and lived in the house now occupied by Mr Bruce, Stock Inspector. In 1884 Mrs Sandilands took a trip to the Old Country, and passed her 75th birthday on board the lonic during her passage Home. About 11 years ago she was persuaded to go mid stay with her sister, Mrs Haddon, Anderson's Bay, on account of the latter's health, and resided there until her death on the 27th ulto., she being then in the 91st. year of her age. Mrs Sandilands was twin sister to Mr Horsburgh, father of Mr Horsburgh, bookseller, late of Dunedin, now of London. Mr Horsburgh lived to the age of 82 years. It is a somewhat remarkable circumstance, that both twins lived to exceptionally long ages the one to 82 and the other 91.
Colonist, 7 June 1900, Page 6
The death of Mr David Johnston, which occurred at his residence, Haven road, about nine o'clock on Saturday, May 26th. The deceased had long been resident in Nelson, where he formerly occupied the position of Collector of Customs, but the earlier years of his life in New Zealand were passed in Wellington, where, in the very early days, he experienced many hardships. The late Mr Johnston was, indeed, one of the earliest of New Zealand colonists. He was born in Portsmouth, where his father, we understand, held a responsible position in the Dockyard, and he himself was only 22 when he landed at Port Nicholson, together with his wife and one child, both of whom predeceased him. Born in the year 1819, be landed in Wellington from the ship Lady Nugent in 1841, and in the early day he was not only called on to take up arms in defence of the settlement, but he experienced several narrow escapes. We believe that his first public work was performed when the road through the Horokiwi Valley was constructed, when he acted as clerk of works under the late Captain Russell, and designed some of the bridges on the north military road. This duty was undertaken in 1848, and on its completion, in 1851, he joined the Customs Department. In 1856 he received the Commission of the Peace, and in 1858, when the Collingwood goldfields were very busy/'and a Customs house was established there, he was appointed sub-Collector for Golden Bay. Three years later he acted as Collector in Nelson, and continued to do so during Captain Rough's absence, while a little later be was appointed Collector at Havelock, and was subsequently transferred to Greymouth. He was then appointed Collector at Nelson, and continued to act in this city � save for a few months when he took up the duties at Christchurch � until 1880 when he retired from the service on pension. Subsequent to his retirement, he took a great interest in the development of the mineral resources of this part of the Colony, particularly in the neighborhood of Aniseed Valley and at Collingwood where one mine -Johnston's United - was named after him. Of his family, which numbered 12, there are seven surviving, three daughters and four sons -all married save one daughter and one son. He has also left 28 grand children and great grand children. His eldest son, Mr David Johnston is now collector of Customs at Invercargill. During later years he did not take a prominent part in public matters, but during his 59 years residence in this Colony he was held in general esteem.
Press, 25 July 1900, Page 4
A very old Canterbury identity died in Wellington on Tuesday last in the person of Mrs Calvert. The deceased lady came to Canterbury in the Zealandia in 1859 and resided here for thirty-one years, when she moved to Wellington, where she resided till her death. Her late husband was the original inventor of the cash railway system, having had an installation in his shop in Sunderland (England) some fifty-one years back. On his removal to Canterbury he took a great interest in public affairs, being one of the first City Councillors in Christchurch, a position he held for nine consecutive years. The descendants of the pair number fifty-one, and embrace four generations.
Otago Witness,28 November 1900, Page 44
Mr John Napier Harvie, died at Balclutha on the 11th, at the age of 66 years. Born near Dumbarton, Mr Harvie learned the trade of a ship joiner. On June 8, 1859, he left Greenock in the ship Alpine for New Zealand. Port Chalmers was reached on September 9, 1859, and three days later Mr Harvie, in company with some others, began their tramp to the Clutha, the journey taking three days. Mr Harvie is survived by a widow, two sons, and three daughters. The immigrant ship in which Mr Harvie came to this country was rendered somewhat notorious owing to the treatment the passengers were subjected to, and for which the captain was fined �500 at Port Chalmers.
Otago Witness, 5 December 1900, Page 20
Another of the pioneer settlers of New Zealand passed over to the great majority on November 2, in the person of Mr Charles Keys, of the Lower Hutt, at the age of 82 years. He arrived in New Zealand in the surveying ship Cuba in December, 1839,spending his first night ashore on January 1 1840. In June of that year he was married at Petone, the wedding ceremony, being stated to have been the first in the Wellington province. He is survived by his widow, seven, children, 59 grandchildren, and 17 great grandchildren.
Otago Witness 17 July 1901, Page 64
The death is announced of Mrs John Mac Gibbon, another of the rapidly diminishing band of pioneer settlers. She arrived with her husband in the ship Moultan on Christmas Day, 1849. The family resided for tome time in Caversham, but in 1859 removed to Mataura, in which district the same of Mac Gibbon has since become well known. Mr Mac Gibbon died in 1892, leaving his sons to carry on his 'businesses at Mataura and Gore. The deceased lady was a good wife and loving mother, and an energetic colonist.
Otago Witness 17 July 1901, Page 64
Mr Frederick Alonzo Carrington, aged 93, a prominent and well-known New Plymouth old identity, is dead. He arrived at Moturoa in the barque Brougham on February 11, 1841, having been sent out by the Plymouth Company to survey the settlement. He fixed the site of New Plymouth, and was closely identified with its growth. After completing the survey of New Plymouth he returned to England in 1843, and was engaged in survey work for the railways there. Afterwards he visited California in connection with some engineering works. He returned to Taranaki about 1857, and in 1862 »vas appointed surveyor for Taranaki He was Superintendent of the province from 1869 to 1876, and also sat some years in the House of Representatives. He was largely instrumental in the harbour works being undertaken at Moturoa, the first stone o£ which he laid on February 7, 1881. Latterly his great age has told upon him. He quietly passed away in his sleep this morning.
Taranaki Herald, 22 July 1901, Page 2
Feilding, July 22. Charles Roe, senior, an old colonist, died at his residence at Feilding last night. Deceased arrived in Wellington by the ship Adelaide in 1840. He was one of Wellington's earliest journalists, having been part proprietor of the defunct Advertiser for a time. He came to Feilding in 1874, and has resided here ever since.
Manawatu Times, 2 August 1902,
Page 3 Auckland
An old colonist named George Tierner Ferguson, of Totara, passed away in his 82nd year. He was the sixth son of Benjamin Ferguson, Captain in the East India Co's service, and a cousin of Sir Jas. Ferguson, formerly Governor of New Zealand. He arrived at Christchurch by the ship Lady Nugent in 1850. Among his fellow passengers were Messrs Godley, Wakefield, O'Locklan and Spencer. After a time he visited Wellington, Nelson. New Plymouth and Auckland, and finally arrived in Whangaroa in 1855, where he resided until his death.
Otago Witness 8 October 1902, Page 58
Another of the pioneer settlers has passed away in the person of Mr Thomas Agnew Robertson, who died at Balclutha on Wednesday at the age of 79 Arriving at Port Chalmers by the ship Victory in 1862, Mr Robertson leased a farm at Green Island, where he stayed for three years. He then took over the management of the horses on Messrs Maitland Bros. Crescent farm, Stirling, which position be held until the dissolution of partnership in 1871. He was then appointed manager of the Barnego Estate, where he remained for 10 years, when he retired from active labour, and went to live at North Balclutha Mr Robertson was a keen judge of horses and cattle and acted in that capacity at various shows throughout Otago. He leaves one son and three daughters to mourn their loss.
Otago Witness, 4 November 1903, Page 29
Again we have to record the death of another of that fast diminishing band of old identities in the person of Mrs Heckler, relict of the late Wm Heckler. The deceased, who was born at Frome, Somerset, England, in 1835, arrived in Melbourne by the James M'Henry, transshipped to Nelson in the Macclesfield, thence to Port Chalmers in the Collier in 1851. Two years later she was married at Port Chalmers to the late Wm. Heckler, then manager of Cherry Farm, Waikouaiti. During her residence there many a benighted traveller had reason to thank her for her kindness and hospitality. Eventually her husband took up land adjoining, where she has resided till her death, which occurred on Sunday, October 25. The late Mrs Heckler was of a retiring disposition, and her home and family were ever her first consideration. A grown-up family of seven sons and two daughters are left to mourn their lost, her husband and two daughters having predeceased her. The remains were buried by the side of her husband in St. John's Churchyard Waikouaiti, on Thursday last, the Rev. C. A. Fraer conducted the service in the house and church. The organist played the "Dead March." The funeral was a large one, as the deceased was well and deeply respected.
Otago Witness 18 May 1904, Page 25
Mr Robert Blair Denniston, mining engineer, of this city, the eldest son of Robert Denanston, ship owner, of Glasgow, Scotland, he was born in 1840 in that city, where, also, he was educated. As a youth he had a natural bent for engineering and mining work, and, following his inclination, studied for a mining engineer. In order to gain practical knowledge he accepted employment in the collieries in North Staffordshire, where he remained for some 12 years, acting for large portion of the time as underviewer. He had been connected with mining and mining engineering since he was 14 years of age, find was thoroughly familiar with every detail in his profession. For over 40 years he was a resident of New Zealand, having arrived in 1862 by the ship Nelson from Glasgow. His first colonial venture was at the Otago goldfields, where he engaged in mining, and remained for about 12 months. About this time excitement over the West Coast fields became very high, and Mr Denniston followed the "rush," and remained on the Coast for about six months. He then engaged in regular business at Trinnell terrace, Stafford, carrying it on for three years. Subsequently he joined the Government Geological Survey party, under the leadership of Dr Hector, and was principally engaged in prospecting for coal. He remained with the Government for eight years, during which time he visited various parts of the colony. The town of Denniston, 12 miles from Westport, was named after him, as the prospector of the field, and he was largely instrumental in building up the place. He was the discoverer of the Buller coalfields, and about 1875 resigned his position with the Government to undertake the management of the Westport Coal Company, which he assisted materially to form....
Evening Post, 19 May 1904, Page 6
The announcement of the death of Mrs. Bethune, at her residence on Wellington-terrace, a respected resident for sixty-four years, will be received with regret. The late Mrs. Bethnne was the fifth daughter of the late Mr. George Hunter, first Mayor of Wellington, and was born near London seventy -seven years ago. In February, 1840, she arrived from London in the ship Duke of Roxburgh, with her parents, being then a girl of fourteen years. The family brought out with them a dwelling-house in sections, and it was erected at Petone, where the early settlers first took up their residence. Later on the house was removed to the Bite in Lower Dixon-street, near St. John's Church, on the site now occupied by Captain Moorhouse's residence, and there Miss Bethune lived until her marriage in March, 1857. Her husband died in 1894, is survived by four sons (Messrs. Hector, John Henry, Walter, and Arthur Bethune). Mr. Robert. Hunter, of the firm of Bethune and Hunter, Lloyd's agent in Wellington, is her brother.
Taranaki Herald, 1 October 1904, Page 5
MRS DARIUS SHUTTLEWORTH. Another of the early settlers of Taranaki passed peacefully away early this morning in her 86th year, in the person of Mrs Darius Shuttleworth. The deceased lady (then Miss Spooner) was one of the passengers on the "Emily Mitchell" which arrived here in February, 1854. In the following year she was married at the Henui Chapel to the late Mr Collins, who died on May 5th, 1865. In February, 1870, she married the late Mr Darius Shuttleworth, being again left a widow in December, 1901. During the Maori War she went with other Taranaki ladies to Nelson, returning when the troubles were over, but losing a considerably quantity of property. In the course of her long sojourn, in this district the deceased lady made a large circle of friends, but of late years led a very retired life.
Evening Post, 3 October 1904, Page 5
Mr. J. H. Cotton, who arrived in Nelson by the ship Emma Colvin fifty-two years ago, died last week at the age of 75 years. He had lived practically the whole of his colonial life in Nelson, except for a short period spent in Taranaki during the time of the Maori War, in which he took part with many other settler-soldiers.
Evening Post, 3 October 1904, Page 5
The funeral of the late Mr. William Morgan took place at Johnsonville on Saturday afternoon, and was largely attended. Mr. Morgan was one of the early settlers, having arrived in the colony on 1st March, 1842, in the ship Burman, with his parents. He formerly lived in Wellington for a short time, and afterwards went to Khandallah, and from there to Tawa Flat, where the deceased lived up to the time of his death. Mr. Morgan's wife died at Tawa Flat sixteen years ago, and it is only three weeks since one of his sons, Stephen Morgan, died in the Wellington Hospital. There are five grown-up sons and two daughters to mourn their loss. The Rev. Mr. Vosper officiated at the graveside on Saturday.
Star 19 August 1905, Page 5
A resident of Lyttelton for nearly fifty years, Mrs Sarah Sophia Carrell, died at Jackson's Road this morning, at the great age of eighty-six years. Mrs Carrell was the widow, of the late Mr John Aylwin Carrell and was born in County Wicklow, Ireland. She came to Lyttelton with her husband in the ship Sir Edward Paget, in 1856, and has resided in the port ever since. For the last three years she was unable, owing to the infirmities of old age, to leave the house. Her husband died in 1893. She had three children, only one of whom, Mr J. L. Carrell, survives her.
Evening Post, 8 December 1905, Page 4
The death occurred yesterday at his residence, Upper Willis-street, Wellington, of Captain J. Iveson, an old colonist. Deceased was born in Yorkshire, England, and came to New Zealand in 1863, arriving in Dunedin by the ship Mallard. He resided in Dunedin for nearly thirty years, and then came to Wellington, where he has resided since. In his younger days, in Dunedin, the late Captain Iveson took a very keen interest in volunteering, and besides being captain for a number of years of the Taieri Rifles, Otago, at the time one of the smartest corps in New Zealand, he was a prominent rifle shot. He was also well known in musical circles, and founded the two first bands at the Taieri the East and West Taieri bands� holding the unique� position of bandmaster to both of them at the same time. On arriving in Dunedin he was offered the position of Magistrate and Warden in the Goldfields district (Otago), but declined thin to take this to take up the Henley Estate, Taieri, with the late John Hyde Hams (then Superintendent of Otago) and the late A. Lee. After that he managed Healey Estate for some years and then started lines of coaches from Dunedin to the Taieri, and from the Taieri to Dunstan and also Upper Waipora. He was afterwards proprietor of several hotels in Dunedin and the Taieri. Deceased, who was a prominent Freemason, and who was in his 70th year at the time of his death, leaves a wife and two children (Mrs. Williams, of Waihopo, Auckland, and Mr. Ben Iveson, journalist, of Masterton.)
Press, 11 December 1906, Page 8
Mr Stephen Hunt, a very old settler on the Peninsula, paused away at his residence, French Farm, on Sunday. He was born at Birmingham in 1839 and came to New Zealand with his wife in the Clontarf, in 1858. His brother, Mr J. Hunt, of Pigeon Hay, also accompanied him, and going at once to the Peninsula they engaged in pit sawing and road-making, Later on late late Mr Hunt acquired land at French Farm, and started dairy farming, his cheese gaining for him a splendid reputation. He was an enthusiastic horticulturist, as his fine homestead shows. Although taking no active part in public affairs his genial disposition earned him many friends, by whom he will be greatly missed. The late Mr Hunt was married twice, his present wife being the daughter of Mr L. Libeau, of Duvauchelles. He had a family of twenty-eight (amongst them being triplet daughters) of whom twenty-seven survive.
Evening Post, 13 August 1907, Page 7
Mr Ebenezer Gray, a well-known Wellingtonian, died at his residence, John-street, on Saturday, at the age of 64 years. The interment took place at Karori this afternoon. Deceased was born in Bedford, England, and came out to Lyttelton in the ship Northampton in 1872. He followed the trade of a builder in Christchurch, and then went to Grey town, where he erected the greater portion of the town. In 1877 he came to Wellington, and erected, amongst other buildings, St. Thomas's Church, Newtown.
Otago Witness 16 October 1907, Page 30
The death of the late Mrs Johnstone, notice of which appears in this week's issue, causes another vacancy in the ranks of the early settlers of this province. The deceased lady arrived with her parents in the ship Mooltan in the year, 1849. She was a daughter of the late Captain Willam Blackie, late Caversham, and afterwards .resident in the Taieri. Although for several years after her marriage she lived in Canterbury, for the last quarter of a century she has resided in Dunedin. Mrs Johnstone leaves three married daughters, having been predeceased by two sons and two daughters.
The Bruce Herald records the death of three old identities of Milton - Bernard Healey, Fairfax, aged 81, native of County Galway, Ireland, who came to the colony in 1861. William Henry Murphy, aged 73, who was born in Dublin, and. came to Victoria in 1862, thence to Otago at the time of Gabriel's rush. The third is Mrs W. F. Kinnear, who died in the Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, and who was a well-known teacher of music in 'Milton 30 years ago.
Marlborough Express, 20 July 1908, Page 5
The Colonist records the death, on Friday last of Mrs Atmore, at the age of 76 years. The deceased was the widow of the late Mr Edward Atmore, who was in business in the city for many years. The much-respected couple came to Nelson by the ship Cresswell in 1856 and resided in the city until they passed away. Deceased had been ailing for some time, but she was about as usual on Thursday morning. In the afternoon she was taken seriously ill, and at seven o clock on Friday morning the end came very peacefully. All who had the honor of the acquaintance of the late Mrs Atmore greatly esteemed her. She left a family of three sons, three daughters, and twenty grandchildren. The former are Mr Edward Atmore, of the National Mutual Life Office, who asides at Dunedin; Mr G.W. Atmore manager for Messrs White and Go., timber merchants, at Christchurch; and Mr Harry Atmore, who has occupied prominent positions in the city. The daughters are Mrs T.B. Allan, of Wanganui; Mrs Henry Baigent (wife, of our ex-Mayor); and Mrs Moore, ;who for years-has carried on the business established by her late father in Hardy Street. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of a host of friends, and fellow-citizens.
Otago Witness, 17 June 1908, Page 32
The Milton Mirror records the death of Mrs Boyle, wife of Mr John Boyle, of Moneymore, on Friday last. The deceased, who had reached the age of 71 years, had been in a low state of health for some months owing to heart trouble. Deceased was a native of County Galway, Ireland, and came out to New Zealand in the ship Sevilla in 1863.
21 October 1908, Page 27
At the invitation of Mr John Ker, of Wickliffe Bay, a number of his old friends met at the residence of Mr and Mrs Jas. Weir (son-in-law and daughter) to celebrate his arrival in Otago 50 years ago, the good ship Jura, from Glasgow, having cast anchor at Port Chalmers on the 23rd September, 1858. There were present on this auspicious occasion Mr Thomas Moodie (of Dunedin, also a passenger by the same ship).
Evening Post, 6 November 1908, Page 7
A Press Association telegram from Christchurch states that a colonist of fifty-two years' experience in New Zealand, in the person of Mr. Willam Kelcher, died at his residence, Flaxton, at the age of 73, on Tuesday. He arrived in the ship Emma Colvin at Nelson in 1856, and succeeded a little later in finding a way from Nelson to the Hon. W. Robinson's station at Cheviot Hills. This was a work of no small difficulty. Later he joined the gold seekers in Nelson, and also at Gabriel's Gully in Otago, and afterwards settled on land at Flaxton. For some time he was a member of the Mandeville and Rangiora Drainage Board.
Star 28 December 1908, Page 1
Mr James Crawford, civil engineer, a well known resident of Sumner for the past twenty-seven years, died yesterday afternoon from heart failure. He had been ailing for some months past, but the end came unexpectedly. Mr Crawford was born in Liverpool in 1829, and was educated in Wexford, Ireland. He came to the dominion in the ship Alma. Soon after his arrival he joined the Public Works Department in Wellington and was afterwards in Hawkes Bay. He arrived in Canterbury in 1863 and was appointed engineer in the Public Works Department, Christchurch. Under the Provincial Government he was engaged in 1872 to survey and prepare plans and sections of the following lines of railway : Rolleston, Sheffield, Whitecliffs, Southbridge, Kaiapoi, Oxford, Pareora, and Waitaki. He was also engaged in making an engineering survey of the Canterbury Plains, between the Waimakariri and Rakaia. This survey extended over an area of nearly 500 square miles. In 1877 he retired and entered into private practice. He was frequently called on to supervise waterworks in the Hororata and Malvern districts, and it was from data supplied by Mr Crawford that the South Waimakariri River Board undertook its scheme of river protection and stopbanks. On the establishment of the borough of Sumner Mr Crawford was appointed to the position of Town Clerk and Engineer and he filled those offices until about four years ago. During his term of office at Sumner he completed the waterworks and drainage schemes of the borough and more recently he carried out waterworks for Geraldine and Waimate. At the time of his death he was working on the Ashburton water-supply scheme which is to be put in hand next year, and he was also supervising the regrading, kerbing and channelling of the streets of Woolston. For many years Mr Crawford was chairman of the Sumner School Committee and took a very active interest in the welfare of the place. Mrs Crawford survives her husband and there are three sons, the eldest of whom, Mr Frank Crawford, is a captain in the Union Steam Ship Company's service.
Otago Witness 3 February 1909,
Mr George Ott, one of the early pioneers of Southern New Zealand, died on Friday (says the Southland Times). The late Mr Ott was born near Stuttgart, Germany, in 1831 and came to New Zealand in the ship Maori in 1857 to Dunedin. He several times walked overland from Dunedin in company with Mr George Lumsden, and the journey was accomplished in four days. He first went to Invercargill in 1859; and finally settled there in 1862, when Invercargill was covered with bush. He occupied a seat on the first Town Board of Invercargill.
Taranaki Herald, 1 March 1909, Page 5
Another old resident of Auckland, in the person of Mrs Rachael Collins, died on Friday last. The deceased lady was the widow of the late Mr S. Y. Collins, who was well known in Auckland in connection with electoral and assessment court work. The late Mr and Mrs Collins and family arrived in New Zealand in 1860 by the sailing ship African; Six sons and two daughters remain to mourn their loss, these being Mr W. S. Collins, of Auckland, Mr R. Y. Collins, solicitor, of Te Awamutu. Mr A. C H. Collins, dentist, of New Plymouth, Mr F. W. Collins, of Napier, Mr R. R. Collins, of Wanganui, and another son. The late Mrs Collins died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs A. Bach. Mrs D. A. Hay, of Remuera, is also a daughter of the deceased.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 18 May 1909, Page 4
Mr W. H. Dansey, who died recently at Kaponga, Taranaki, was a well known North Otago settler, he having been a familiar figure in the district for over fifty years. Mr Dansey arrived at Port Chalmers in the ship Pudsey Dawson in 1854, but came on in the ship to Wellington and Nelson and visited different parts of the Middle Island. In 1855 with Mr F. A. Weld (afterwards Premier of New Zealand and Governor of New Sotrth Wales) and Dr D. Munro (afterwards Speaker of the House of Representatives), he explored the route from Wairau to Canterbury via Farndale and the Upper Clarence river. In 1857 Mr Dansey took possession of Otekaike run, where, he remained till 1871, when he went to live in Oamaru. In 1907 Mr Dansey left Oamaru for Taranaki Dansey's Pass, off which he hit, though he claims not to be the original discoverer, was named after him.
Colonist, 3 June 1909, Page 2
Mr G. W. W. Lightband, who was one of the victims of the sad canoe fatality which occurred off Tahuna last. week; His fate was unfortunately shared by his grand nephew, Harry, son of Mr R.B. Jackson of this city. The late Mr Lightband was born in the city of Worcester, England, in 1834 and arrived in Nelson in the ship Thomas Harrison in 1842, with, his father, the late Mr G. W. W. Lightband and other members of the family, of which Mr Martin Lightband is the eldest son. After working with his father and brother in a tanning business on the present site of "Wainui" until 1851, he took his departure for the Victorian goldfields, accompanied by the late Sir H. D. Jackson afterwards his brother-in-law) and the late Mr W. C. Riley, of Collingwood. After many stirring adventures and experiences, the late Mr Lightband returned to Nelson. With the gold fever still burning, he left for Collingwood in 1855 to prospect for gold, and remained there for some years, he being, appointed the first Warden for that district. The following year the population of Collingwood was 2000 souls. Lightband Gully was named after the late Mr Lightband. He lived at Brightwater for 30 years. Appointed JP in 1863. About 1861 he was one of the party which took a number of prominent Maoris to England, these being the first of their race to visit the Old Country. He was presented with a Royal autograph from Queen Victoria.
Manawatu Standard, 13 August 1909, Page 5
Mrs Charlottee Davis, aged 76, another of a small band of early pioneers passed away this morning. The deceased, who came out in the ship Cameo, had resided in the colony 50 years, and leaves a husband, Mr Nathaniel Davis, of Ashhurst, and six children, viz., Mrs Tory, Timaru Miss Davis, Ashhurst; Messrs Daniel and James Davis, of Ashhurst: George, of Johnsonville, and Fred of Timaru.
Evening Post, 12 October 1910, Page 7
Another of the old identities of Canterbury, Mrs. Bridget Monica Sheehan, passed away on Thursday at the advanced age of 95, reports the Christchurch News. Mrs. Sheehan resided for 52 years in Canterbury, the greater part of which was spent at Broadfields. She was born at Castle Otway, in County Tipperary, Ireland, away back in 1815, the year Waterloo was fought. The deceased lady and her husband, Mr. Martin Sheehan, set sail for New Zealand in the Clontarf, and landed at Lyttelton.
Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula
Advertiser, 21 October 1910, Page 2 LATE MRS JOHN FOLEY.
The funeral of the late Mrs John Foley, an old and respected resident of the Peninsula, who lived for many years next to Mr P. Fahey's residence, near the Hill Top, Little River, took place on Tuesday. Mrs Foley, who has been ailing since the death of her husband, Mr John Foley, passed away in Christchurch on Sunday last. The body was sent by train to Little River on Tuesday, and in the afternoon was buried in the Catholic Cemetery, the Rev. Father Bonetto conducting a most impressive burial service. There was a large cortege of thirty traps, and included in those present to pay their last respects were Messrs W. F. Parkinson (Wairewa County Chairman) J. 0. Coop, P. Fahey, M. Barclay, T. Quealy, and many other friends of deceased.
Mrs Foley was born in County Kerry, Ireland, and was a farmer's daughter. She came out to the Colony in the ship Blirgowrie thirty five years ago, landing at Lyttelton on August 22nd, 1875. She then married Mr John Foley, and soon after went to Barry's Bay. Mr Foley there worked in Mr E. C. Latter's sawmill for a time, but later bought the property at Red John's Gully, Little River, where a family of five children were brought up. After the death of Mr Foley, Mrs Foley shifted to Christchurch, where she stayed until she died. She leaves three daughters (Mrs Vawt, Mrs Bowick, and Miss Foley); and two sons, both unmarried.
Otago Daily Times 9 October
1911, Page 3
By the death of Mrs M.S. Bauchop on the 18th ult. Port Chambers lost one of its oldest and most highly respected residents. Born at Linlithgow, Scotland, in 1843, Mrs Bauchop arrived at Port Chalmers by the ship Jura in 1861, and six years later she was married to Mr Bauchop (whom she survived for several years). Mrs Bauchop was one of the first members of the Port Chalmers Presbyterian Church. She took a very active interest, in church work to the last. She was a lady of wide views, and her love of literature resulted in a singularly well informed mind and a high sense of duly to her fellows. Mrs Bauchop is survived by: Mr Robert Bauchop, of Port Chalmers: Colonel Arthur Bauchop, C.M.S., who is at present at Staff College, Canterbury Christchurch; Mr D.F. Baucho , who is a student at Canterbury College, Christchurch; and three daughters, two of whom are resident in England and one in Port Chalmers. The late Dr Bauchop was the oldest son.
Otago Daily Times 9 October
1911, Page 3
Mr Hugh Calder, of Caversham, died at his residence, David street, on Sept. 12, in his eighty-third year. Mr Calder was born at Wick (Scotland) in 1829. He came to Otago with his parents in the snip Mariner, which arrived in 1849. He was soon attracted to the Australian goldfields, and worked there for several years. He returned to Dunedin in 1855, and settled in Carversham, where he bought 50 acres of land and went in for farming and contracting. Although he visited the Otago diggings in company with his brother, Mr George Calder, of North-East Valley, most of his energy was spent at work in and about Dunedin as a contractor and stonemason. He helped build the first lighthouse at the Heads, and also the old gaol He took a keen interest in education, and was a member of the Caversham School Committee for eight years. For seven years he was a member of the Caversham Borough Council. He was Mayor of the Borough in 1883 and in 1884. He was also a member of the old Caversham Road Board. He was one of the originators of the Caledonian Society, and also of the Caledonian Society, and also of the Caledonian Bowling Club, of which he is a life member.
Evening Post, 1 November 1912, Page 2 OBITUARY
The late Sir William Jukes Steward, who died at Island Bay yesterday evening, was a native of Reading, Berkshire, England, where he was born in 1841. He was descended from a well known Nonconformist family. His early education was obtained at King Edward VI. Grammar School, Ludlow, Shropshire. He arrived in Lyttelton in the ship Mersey on 26th September, 1862 and proceeded to Christchurch. Before he left England he had been interested in the then popular Volunteer movement. The spirit of this movement he brought with him to New Zealand, and on settling in-the City of the Plains he at once set himself the task of raising and commanding the first rifle company in Christchurch, then known as No. 6 Company, and later as the Christchurch City Guards. Sir, William Steward then purchased the the North Otago Times, and removed to Oamaru. From the first politics attracted him in. North Otago, and he was soon elected to a seat in the Provincial Council, and before the provinces were abolished he had attained to position on the Executive under Superintendent Macandrew. In 1871 he fought and won his first Parliamentary election, entering the House as member for Waitaki. which then included the Borough of Oamaru. He successfully edited the North Otago Times. The Waimate Times and the Ashburton Guardian and the Ashburton Mail.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 18 January 1912, Page 4
One of the "old timers" at a recent picnic in Otago was (says the Otago Daily Times) Mr Thomas Cuthbertson, an active man a few months off ninety years of age. In 1834 he came, with 360 others, in the Mermaid to Melbourne. He has a wonderful memory for his age sad can tell many interesting stories of early days in Victoria. He came to New Zealand in 1864, his first job being on the laying of the foundations of the old hospital in Dunedin.
Evening Post, 2 January 1913, Page 8 OBITUARY
DUNEDIN. This Day. Mr. William Lindsay Christie, one of the promoters of Christie's colliery, at Green Island, is dead ; aged 73. Deceased came to Dunedin by the ship Stanley in 1851.
Evening Post, 19 March 1914, Page 8 [note date of wreck - 1874 - different vessel.]
Captain George Lambert, master of the Union Steamship Company's Arahura, and who is one of the best known and most respected skippers in the New Zealand coastal trade, is shortly to retire after nearly thirty years' service with the Union Company. He first became associated with the Red Funnel fleet in July, 1885, when he had command of the s.s. Manawatu, which vessel, together with the remainder of Captain Williams's fleet, was at that time taken over by the Union Company. Since then he has had charge of many steamers, for a number of years being in charge of the s.s. "Wainui". Captain Lambert was born at Shooters' Hill, London, in 1849, and at the age of seventeen went out to Queensland as a passenger on the Star of England. He was engaged on a station, and three years later went to Sydney and joined the ship Ethan Altan, of Boston, U.S.A. He sailed in various American ships, visiting the Pacific Coast and China, and rose to the position of second mate. In 1874 he joined the ship Lady Jocelyn at Plymouth as an able seaman, and again came out to the colonies. Obtaining employment in the barque [Earl of] South Esk, he was on board that vessel when she was wrecked at the Wellington Heads on the 28th May, 1874. Some months later he entered the employ of Captain Williams, and subsequently became captain. Captain Lambert will probably discontinue command of the Arahura at the end of the mouth.
Press, 16 July 1914, Page 7
Mr Alexander Keir, of Charlton, Southland, whoso death was announced in yesterday's issue of "The Press." was born in 1841 in Perthshire, Scotland, and arrived at Lyttelton by the ship Mermaid in 1863. He spent two years at the West Coast diggings, and on roturuing to Canterbury commenced farming at Halkett, on the "West Coast road, where he remained for ten years (says the "Mataura Ensign"). 1" 1881 he sold out. and acquired 100 acres at Charlton. He took au active interest in public matters, being a member of the Charlton School Committee for eight years. He served for a similar period on the Wainiumu Road Board, of which ho was chairman for four -years. He was a member of the committee of the Gore Agricultural and Pastoral Association for ten years, and was also vice-president for two years. Mr Keir was also a member of the defunct branch of the Farmers' Union at 4Gore, and was for a number of years a member of the directorate of the Mataura Dairy Factory Company. The late Mr Keir was the first to introduce the Romney breed of sheep into the district, and the well-known breeders (the late Messrs W. G. Ladbrook and William Rankin) initiated their flocks from Mr 'Keir's. The late Mr Keir, whose wedding was the first to be celebrated in the Halkett Church, was married in 1877, his wife, who was a daughter of the late Mr John Anderson (Halkett) predeceasing him some 33 years ago. Besides his son, Mr Peter Keir (Charlton), he leaves two brothers, Messrs John Keir (Charlton) land Peter Keir (Rangiora), a halfbrother. Mr. James Keir (manager for P and D. Duncan, Ltd.. Christchurch), and two sisters. Mesdames Peter Duncan (Christchurch) and Burgess (Palmerston North).
Otautau Standard and Wallace County Chronicle, 8 September 1914, Page 4
Last Wednesday night there passed away very peacefully at the ripe age of 85 years, Mrs James Noble, at the residence of her son-in-law Mr Jno. Cameron, Eton street. Mrs Noble was preceded by her husband 14 years ago. It will be remembered that Mr Noble was leading a young horse down to the loading bank at the Invercargill good sheds from the show grounds when he was killed by a passing train. Mr and Mrs Noble hailed from County Caven in the North of Ireland. Leaving their old home in 1877 and crossing to Greenock,. Mr and Mrs Noble, with their family of eleven, left the banks of the Clyde on the ship, " Timaru," landing in Port Chalmers in 1878. A well-known Western District man who was a shipmate was the late Mr John Carrick, of "Flaxmere." Coming to Southland Mr Noble and family settled first at One Tree Point, and afterwards in the Western District where they have been well-known figures for many years. Of the remaining members of the family the daughters are � Mrs John Morton, Seaward Downs ; Mrs Jas. Morton, Waimahaka ; Mrs Robert Hazlett, Otautau; Mrs Jas. Baird, formerly of Isla Bank, now of Birchwood ; Mrs John Cameron, Otautau, and Mrs W. Stormouth, Drummond. The two sons are Mr. J.F. Noble, of Waikawa Valley, and Jas. Noble, of Yellow Bluff, who recently sold his farm. Mrs Noble leaves 37 grandchildren and 11 great grand children.
Evening Post, 14 April 1915, Page 9
There passed away on Monday at Wellington, one of the very early pioneers of Akaroa, Canterbury, in the person of Mrs. Wascoe (nee Haylock), at the old age of 93 years. With her first husband, Charles Lagden Haylock, she arrived at Akaroa in the barque Monarch in the year 1850, ten months prior to the first four emigrant ships reaching Port Lyttelton. Her husband at that time set to work, and under conditions which few would now realise, erected the first flour mill in Canterbury. This was situated in Grehan Valley, Akaroa, which took its name from the mill. The family consisted of several sons. Two sons now survive her : viz., Mr. H. Haylock, of Akaroa, and Mr. A. L. Haylock, of the Lands and Survey Department, Wellington. Many will remember her better as Mrs. Wascoe, but in either case all will be able to look back on her past life and think of the helping hand with which she assisted so many.
Evening Post, 13 April 1915, Page 1
WASCOE� On the 12th April, 1916, at Wellington, Sarah Wascoe, the dearly beloved mother of Arthur L. Haylock, Lands and Survey Department, Wellington; aged 93 years. Private interment.
Evening Post, 26 April 1915, Page 6
Mr. Robert Thompson, of the firm of Milner and Thompson. Christchurch who died on Saturday morning, was one of the pioneers of Canterbury, and was born at Roxeth, near Harrow, in 1835. In 1856 he arrived at Lyttelton in the ship Sir Edward Paget. After an absence in England and Australia, he returned to Christchurch in 1865. For a period he engaged in the flax-dressing business, and later went in for threshing mills. In 1873 he entered into partnership with the late Mr. J. J. Milner, who retired from the business seven years later. The late Mr Thompson was for many years president of the Rationalist Association. He is survived by four sons and three daughters.
Colonist, 11 November 1915, Page
Mr Walter Harris, one of the earliest settlers in the Wairarapa, died at Masterton on Monday, aged 78 years. He arrived in New Zealand with his parents in the emigrant ship Lord William Bentick in 1841. Deceased leaves a widow, six sons and live daughters.
Evening Post, 27 November 1915, Page 6
Mr. Charles Hunt, formerly one of the oldest residents of Mar-ton, where he arrived in 1863, died at Palmerston on Thursday. He arrived in New Zealand in May, 1857, by the ship Alma. He was twice married, and leaves a widow and six sons and three daughters, also 51 grandchildren and 48 great-grandchildren.
Ellesmere Guardian, 1 January 1916, Page 2
The death took place at Doyleston on Thursday of Mr Charles Plant, a very old and highly respected resident of the district. The late Mr Plant was born at Clapham, London, sixty-six years ago and came out to New Zealand by the sailing ship " Hereford," in 1876, with the late Mr James Tucker, of Tai Tapu, He first settled at Tai Tapu, where he was employed for two years by the late Mr James Osborne. He then went to South Canterbury and assisted for a few months in the construction of the railway to Fairlie, returning later on to Doyleston, where he was employed by Mr Job Osborne, always in the machinery branch of farming. Some nineteen years ago he met with an accident while in charge of a well sinking plant which permanently crippled him and from then up to the time of his death he superintended threshing operations for Mr Osborne. Up to the time of his death he was a director of the Ellesmere Engineering Works. He was well known throughout the Ellesmere district as an old engine driver and was always a general favourite both with the threshing mill hands and the farmers.
Otautau Standard and Wallace County Chronicle, 8 August 1916, Page 5 MR JOHN C. FORDE.
Although he had removed from the Western District, it few years ago, the late Mr John Casey Forde had been so long associated with this part of Southland as to be essentially a Western District man.
Born in County Galway, Ireland, 62 years ago, deceased, like many of his adventurous County men left the land of the Shamrock to seek his fortune in New Zealand, then, the antipodes of the civilised world. With his young wife he landed in the Dominion in 1876 by the ship Timaru. and for several years was engaged in road-making in the vicinity of Invercargill; In the 1880s he took up a farming the Scotts Gap district, where he resided till five years ago, when he retired from farming and settled in Invercargill. .Mr Forde is survived by his widow, one son, who will be remembered as an early pupil in the Scotts Gap school, j and is now in the U.S.A. and one daughter, the wife of our townsman, Mr M. O'Brien of the Crown Hotel. The late Mr Forde, who passed away at Invercargill on Saturday last was interred in the East Cemetery to-day.
Evening Post, 8 January 1917, Page 6
Mr. James Banks, one of the first settlers in the Ashley (Canterbury district), died last week. He was born at Caithness, Scotland, in 1830, and arrived in Lyttelton in the ship Victory in 1859. In 1865 he settled at Ashley, where he took a prominent part in local affaire until recent years. One of his sons is Mr. E. C. Banks, of Matamata, a member of the Auckland Education Board and also the New Zealand Council of Education, and another is Mr. D. S. Banks, a solicitor at Hastings.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 24 September 1917, Page 4
Another of New Plymouth's old identities has passed away in the person of Mr William Humphries, whose death at the age of 72 occurred yesterday at the New Plymouth Hospital, after a somewhat lengthy illness (reports the News). The late Mr Humphries arrived in New Plymouth with his parents in the ship Sir Edward Paget in 1851. He served through the Maori war as a volunteer. He was in business with the firm of Messrs E. L. Humphries and Co. as general merchants, afterwards being a partner in the firm of S. L. Humphries and Co., wine and spirit merchants. He was also farming at Puketotara, near New Plymouth, retiring some years ago. Several years ago he met with an accident in Devon street, the shock of which left its effects. He is survived by a widow and family of three daughters and three sons, one of whom, Sergeant A. L. Humphries, is at present in camp.
Colonist, 24 September 1917, Page 4
The death occurred at tire Masterton Hospital recently of Mr William Longshaw. The deceased arrived in Nelson with his wife by the ship Michael Angelo in 1875. The following year lie went to the Collingwood goldfields. For 30 years le was employed in the Collingwood and Takaka sawmills. He leaves a widow and a married daughter to. mourn their loss.
Evening Post, 29 October 1917, Page 8
MRS. JOHN VILE, SEN. The death occurred at Pahiatua last night of Mrs. John Vile, sen., who celebrated her 100th birthday last May. Her husband pre-deceased her by fifteen years. The Wairarapa Age, which is edited by one of her grandsons (Mr. Arthur Vile), states that with the late Mr. John Vile and a young family she arrived in New Zealand in the ship Oliver Lang, better known as the "starved ship," in 1856. One of her children died on the voyage, and the passengers were in a state of starvation when they reached Wellington. For a short while the family, resided at Lower Hutt. They 'then' went to the Wairarapa, and endured all the vicissitudes of pioneering life. The late Mr. John Vile owned the Admiral Run at Gladstone for a period. He afterwards resided at Clareville and Masterton, and the, family went to Pahiatua about twenty years ago. The late Mrs. Vile was present at the Coronation of the late Queen Victoria, and lived under five Sovereigns. She retained her mental faculties, to the last and her eyesight was so good that she never wore glasses. She leaves, a family of three sons and one daughter. The sons are Messrs. William Vile (formerly of Peptone), John Vile (Pahiatua), and Henry Vile. (Himitangi). The eldest son (the late Mr. Job. Vile, formerly M.P. for Manawatu) died some years ago. Mrs. Preston is the only surviving daughter. There are a large number of grandchildren and great grandchildren, besides one or two great great-grandchildren.
Ellesmere Guardian, 31 October 1917, Page 2
Mr THOMAS McKEE. Another old identity passed away on Thursday in the person of Mr Thomas McKee, of Killinchy. He was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1830, and came to New Zealand in the ship Chrysolite 56 years ago. He was at the Dunstan gold diggings at the time of the gold rush. The late Mr McKee took up farming at Killinchy 50 years ago, and lived there until his death. He was of a retiring disposition. He reached the advanced age of 87 without a day's illness except through an accident many years ago, and had all his faculties till the last. He felt indisposed a day or two before his death but was about as usual till Thursday morning, when he passed quietly away. His wife pre-deceased him 43 years ago. He leaves two daughters, Mrs W..J. Allen, of Killinchy, and Mrs J. Hardy, Upper Riccarton, and 10 grand- children and 3 great-grand- children. Three grandsons are on active service, and one is in camp. His funeral took place on Saturday at the Church of England Cemetery, the Rev. H. G. Hawkins conducting the burial service.
Ashburton Guardian, 1 June 1918, Page 2
The death is announced of Mr Allan Hedley, one of the earliest and most widely-known residents of North Otago. He came to New Zealand in 1864, in the ship Ida Ziegler, which landed him in Auckland. There he was employed for a short time farming. He was offered, and accepted, an engagement from the Hon. Matthew Holmes as manager of the Awamoa Estate, a position which he held until he entered into partnership, in 1868, with Mr Neil Fleming, forming the well and widely known firm of Fleming and Hedley, auctioneers, etc., doing an extensive business throughout North Otago and South Canterbury. After the death of Mr Fleming, Mr Hedley continued in the firm until it was merged into the North Otago Farmers' Co-operative, Mr Hedley taking over the management of the stock department, until advancing years and failing health caused his final retirement from all activities. He was Mayor of Oamaru from 1901 to 1903, during which term ho had the, honour of receiving the Duke and Duchess of York (our present King and Queen) while on a visit to the colonies. Mr Hedley leaves a family of eight -Andrew (in New South Wales), James and William (Kakoamo), Thomas (Gore), Mrs W. Fraer (Dunedin), Mrs Sutton (Wakaia), Mrs Willis (Christchurch), and Mrs Forsyth (Ashburton).
Evening Post, 1 June 1918, Page 8
Mr Enoch Tonks, one of Wellington's oldest identities, died at his residence, Webb-street, last night, after a long illness, at the advanced age of 79 years. The late Mr Tonks was a native of Staffordshire, England, and came cut to new Zealand with his parents in the ship Birman, arriving in Wellington in 1842. It was then that the brickmaking business was established which has been carried on by the family ever since. The late Mr Tonks was the father of fifteen children, of whom ten are living :�Mr W. Tonks, head of the firm; Mr Frank Tonks, contractor, New Plymouth; Mr Edward Tonks, of Messrs Tonks and Andrews, contractors, Mr Henry Tonks, blacksmith, Wellington Mr Horace Tonks, painter and glazier, Wellington; Mrs Fau-, Wellington; Mr Horace Tonks, painter and glazier, Wellington; Mrs B. Flauvel, wife of Mr F. Fauvel, of Messrs Duthie and Co.'s staff; Mrs Chisholm, wife of Mr F. Chisholm, Assistant Postmaster, Wellington; Miss Nellie Tonks; Mrs Carr, wife of Mr J. W. Carr, of the A.M.P. Society; and Mrs Edwards, wife of Mr Geo. Edwards (Messrs Edwards and C, hardware merchants), Palmerston North.
Northern Advocate, 4 June 1918, Page 2
An old colonist, Mrs I. W. Lambley, died Oruru on May 25 at the age of 88. She arrived in Auckland with her parents, the Rev. C. B. and Mrs Dunn, in the ship Whirlwind, in 1859. Deceased is survived by her husband, two sons, two daughters, and four grandsons
Colonist, 18 July 1918, Page 4
The death is announced of Mr Charles Champion Rawlins, formerly Conservative member of the House of Representatives for Tuapeka. Mr Rawlings, who was born in Liverpool on April 13 1864 was an engineer by profession. He was for a time engineer and general manager of the Island Block Gold Mining Company. He landed in Lyttelton the ship Mermaid in January, 1875 and shortly afterwards joined the geodetic survey party on the West Coast. In 1893 he unsuccessfully contested the Tuapeka seat against the late Mr Vincent Pyke, but three years later defeated the Hon J. M. Larnach by twenty-one votes. In 1899 he was defeated by the late Mr J. Bennett.
Press, 21 August 1918, Page 10
THE REV. W. R. CAMPBELL
Throughout the Amuri, and in Presbyterian circles in Canterbury, the news of the death of the Rev. W.R. Campbell, which occurred yesterday, will be received with feelings of the deepest regret. During his long ministry in the Amuri the late Mr Campbell became endeared to all with whom he came in contact. He was one whose religion, while deeply spiritual, took a very practical form, which was not bounded by any narrow ideas of sect. Of him it has been said that Goldsmith's description of the village pastor fitted most appropriately: "A man he was to all the country dear." The late Mr Campbell was the son of a judge in the service of the East India Company, a native of Ayrshire, Scotland. The future "Apostle of the North," as Mr Campbell has been called, was born at Ratnagiri in the Bombay Presidency, India, on February 6th, 1840. Two years later his parents returned to Scotland, and Mr Campbell was educated partly in Ayrshire and partly at the Edinburgh Academy, eventually taking his B.A. degree at the Edinburgh University. For a time he was employed in the office of his uncle, a lawyer, but having a decided bent for the ministry, he abandoned his legal career and studied for the Church. In after years, however, he found the legal training he had received of considerable use to him. As a minister of the Free Church, Mr Campbell preached in different places in England and Scotland. In 1873, prior to leaving for New Zealand, Mr Campbell married Miss Carpenter. Having been selected as minister of Trinity Church, Timaru, Mr Campbell, accompanied by Mrs Campbell, reached Port Chalmers the ship Helen Denny, and for about a year Mr Campbell ministered at Timaru. In 1874 he went to Waiau, which was to be the scene of his labours for twenty-eight years...
Press, 21 August 1918, Page 10 MR JOHN
The ranks of the fast diminishing early pioneers of Canterbury were further depleted by the death last week of Mr John Parsons, in his 78th year. His end came very suddenly, and he retained his wonderful health almost to the last. He was born at Padstow, Cornwall, and left his native soil at the age of 22 years, to try his fortune in this young country, arriving in 1863, in the ship Accrington, reaching Lyttelton after an eventful voyage in which a mutiny figured largely. He was associated with the Lyttelton-Christchurch. railway line, afterwards going to the West Coast in the gold rush days, walking from Christchurch to Hokitika and the Bluestone. He returned to Canterbury and held a prominent position with the Heathcote Road Board for 20 years, and during his period of office frequently walked from his residence in Addington to Sumner. After severing his connexion with that body he took up land in St. Martin's, and carried on as a successful dairy farmer, from which he retired some 15 years ago. He was an active member of the old Burgesses' Association, and was always enthusiastic in any movement for the advancement of that district. In the early days he was a member of the Orange Lodge, and was also one of the oldest members of the I.O.O.F. Perseverance Lodge, Woolston. He leaves a widow and grown-up family of four sons and one daughter. The funeral, which was largely attended, left his late residence. 37 Wilson's road South, for the Linwood Cemetery, his four sons, acting as pall-bearers.
Press, 25 January 1919, Page 2
An old colonist, in the person of Mrs E. M. Coldicutt, died at Auckland this week. Born at Ely, Cambridge, England, on July 19th, 1843, the deceased arrived in Auckland by the ship Cresswell, on September 13th. 1853. She was educated at St. Mary's Convent, and in February, iB6O, was married to the late Mr J. Coldicutt. The deceased is survived by four sons — Dr. C. Coldicutt, Mr P. Coldicutt, chief clerk. Railway Department, Invercargill, Mr T. Coldicutt, manager of the English and Foreign Piano Company, and Lieutenant N. K. Coldicutt, N.Z.E.F., who is at present on active service — four daughters, and six grandchildren.
Evening Post, 24 July 1919, Page 7
Major Andrew Burns, aged 31, well known in New Zealand for the last 59 years. He arrived in the Dominion by the ship Mermaid in 1860. He was lieutenant of the Third Waikato Regiment during the Maori War, and .went through the whole campaign without a wound. He was captain of the Hobson Rifles, and in the year 1866 was appointed major of the New Zealand Forces. He was well known in the South Island as manager and secretary of the Dunedin Hospital Board for thirty years. The death occurred at Tauranga yesterday morning of Mr. David. Asher, one of the best known residents of that town. The late Mr. Asher, who was 68 years of age, was born and educated in Auckland, and was in business in Tauranga for a great many years. His wife, who was a member of the Keesing family, Auckland, died eight months ago, leaving him with six sons and five daughters. All the sons have been prominent footballers, more than one having attained representative, rank. One of them Mr. Henry Asher is in the Railway Department in Wellington, and Mrs. Parata, of Wellington (widow of Mr.. Charles Parata, ex-M.P. for the Southern Maori District) is a daughter of the deceased gentleman. The youngest son Private George Asher, who recently returned from the front after three years' active service, was captain of a very successful team of New Zealand soldiers. The late Mr. Asher left about fifty grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Evening Post, 10 February 1920, Page 6
The funeral of Mr. Waiter Clement Burd, an old and highly respected resident of Timaru and lately of Wellington, took place yesterday morning, leaving the residence of his daughter, Mrs. W. E..Howe, for the Kaiori cemetery. The late Mr. Burd arrived in New Zealand by the sailing ship St. Kilda in 1873 from Manchester, his birthplace, and shortly afterwards joined the railway service at Christchurch,, where he resided for eight or nine years before being transferred to Timaru, where he remained for some years before coming north to Wellington some 25 years ago During his residence in Wellington he was in charge of the Railway Department's stationery stores for over twenty years. He took a keen interest in lodge activities, being a member of a Masonic lodge and also of a lodge of the Order of the Foresters, and was well-known as a local preacher in Methodist circles at Wellington and formerly at Timaru. Up till about twelve months ago the late Mr. Burd had enjoyed excellent health, but lately he had been ailing, though his last illness was of brief duration.
Evening Post, 1 July 1920, Page 6
The death occurred at Dunedin, a few day ago of Pilot John McDonald, formerly of the staff of the Otago Harbour Board. The late Captain McDonald was born in Scotland in 1842, and came to New Zealand in the ship Peter Denny. In 1805, landing at Port Chalmers. After trading on the coast for some time he entered the pilot staff of the Otago Harbour Board about 30 years ago, and had charge of Dredge 222. Be retired about ten years ago owing to ill health.
Hawera & Normanby Star, 18 August 1923, Page 6
The funeral of the late Mr. Robert Divehall took place at Te Henui cemetery on Thursday. The late Mr. Divehall was born in Kent, England, on September. 24, 1829, and came to New Zealand with his .wife and family in the sailing ship Howerah. He arrived in New Plymouth on December 4. 1874 and started the construction of the railway from New Plymouth to Waitara. He remained in the New Zealand Government's service for 28 years, and then retired on superannuation. Mr. Divehall was a resident of Stratford for 40 years, and in recent years he lived in New Plymouth. Mr. Divehall leaves a widow and seven daughters (Mrs. H. Walsh, of Kanonga, Mrs. H. Jones and Mrs. D. McWhirter, of Stratford, Mrs. F. Wilmshurst, Mrs. J. A. Revell, Mrs. R. Edwards, and Mrs. A. H, Fever, of New Plymouth). There are 55 grandchildren and 34 great-grandchildren. Ten grandsons served in the Great War and three were killed.
Ellesmere Guardian, 31 July 1925, Page 5 MR T. J. RODGERS.
The death occurred yesterday, at the residence of his son-in-law, Mr I. Mawson, Irwell, of Mr Thomas John Rodgers, a gentleman who was held in the highest regard throughout the Ellesmere County. Born in County Down, Ireland, in 1846, the late Mr Rodgers decided as a young man of 33 to try his in a new land, and, together with his .wife, left for New Zealand in the ''Crusader," arriving at Lyttelton |in 1879. After residing at Killinchy for a year or so he took service with the late Mr John Bennett, who at that time conducted a building business in Leeston. Not long afterwards he set up in business as a building contractor on his own account, carrying on successfully up till about 12 years ago, when the business was taken over by his son.. Mrs Rodgers passed away 19 years ago. The members of the family are Mrs Isaac Mawson (Irwell), and Messrs R. A. C. Rodgers (Oamaru), G. Rodgers (Leeston), Joseph Rodgers (Amberley) and William Rodgers (West Eyreton).
Evening Post, 24 September 1926, Page 13
The death of Mrs. Grace Potts Clarkson, of Beaumont street, Sydenham, on Sunday, removed a lady greatly esteemed by a. wide circle of friends, says the "Lyttelton Times." Mrs. Clarkson, who was seventy-seven years of age, was the widow of the late Mr. Thomas Clarkson, well known throughout Canterbury as a stock dealer. She was a daughter of the late Rev. William Pole, the first pastor of the Spreydon Baptist Church, and founder of the first Christian Band of Hope in New Zealand. She came to New Zealand from Ramsay, Huntingdonshire, with her parents in the ship Mermaid, in 1866. The direct relative, she leaves are: Mrs. J. M'Callum and Mrs. F. Webster (Christchurch), Mrs. C. Mallard (Burnham), Mrs. J. Tompkins (Sydney), Mr. T. Clarkson (Auckland), and Mr. William Clarkson (Wellington). There are also a large number of grandchildren.
Evening Post, 10 September 1929, Page 13
The death of Mrs. Ellen Birkett, aged 97; has removed another of the little band of very early pioneers in Now Zealand life. Mrs. Birkett was born at Maidstone, Kent, and came with her parents to New Zealand by the ship Tyne which arrived here in 1841. Her death occurred at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Short, at Brooklyn, Wellington. It is stated that two of her fellow passengers in the Tyne�of whom there were 98� were Sir William Martin, and Mr. William Swainson; both of whom took leading parts in the development of the colony. There was no wharf when they arrived, but they anchored off Kaiwarra, and the passengers were lowered in a basket into a boat, and later were carried on the shoulders of the sailors to the shore. Mrs. Birkett remembered living in a school building till a hut was built, for the family near Hick's paddock above the beach. Those were the days of little clearings round the shores of Port Nicholson, in which were built the houses of the early residents. Later the family removed to Masterton, arriving after a slow and tedious journey in a bullock wagon. After her marriage at the close of the Maori War, Mrs. Birkett and her husband settled at Manaia, Taranaki. There they lived, through the dangers of the times, and at the end of all the troubles Mrs. Birkett held her respect for the Maoris as a fine race of people. Mr. Birkett died 27 years ago; and was buried at Opunake. Up to the time of her death there were five generations living, Mrs. Birkett, her daughter (Mrs. Jane Short), Mrs. Sylvester (grand-daughter), Mrs. Freeman (great-grand-daughter), and Master Bryan Freeman (great-great-grandson).
Press, 9 October 1916, Page 5
Mrs Elizabeth F. Tunks, who died at Tauranga recently at the age of 84. was one of the oldest residents in the Bay of Plenty district. She landed in Auckland from the ship Bank of England in December. 1855. She was married in 1864. at St. Matthew's Church, Auckland, to the late Captain Thomas T. Tunks of the 68th Regiment, Durham Light Infantry. In the following year she and Captain Tunks settled at Tauranga, where she had lived ever Isince. Her surviving family are:—Mrs Bull, wife of Mr J. Bull, Tauranga: Mr C. J. Tunks senior partner of the legal firm of Messrs Jackson. Russell. Tunks, and Ostler, Auckland; and Captain A. F. Tunks, who is in command of the J Company of the Fourteenth Reinforcements.
Press, 9 October 1916, Page 5
Mr William Peter Barber died at Upper Hutt on Friday, aged 82 years. He was a soldier in the 65th Regiment, and arrived in Wellington by the ship True Britain in 1852. After serving through the Maori war he obtained his discharge and settled in Wellington, where he founded the well-known dye works. Mr Barber had been a resident of Upper Hutt for the past 38 years. He leaves a son (Mr W. H. P. Barber, ex-M.P., a member of the Wellington City Council) and two daughters, Mrs Lewens and Mrs Geo. Pearce, Trentham. The late Mr Barber was bandmaster of the Wellington Guards and Wellington City rifles bands for a number of years.
Auckland Star, 1 December 1930, Page 10
MRS. J. B. LIND. An old identity of the Bay of Islands district, Mrs. Mary Lind, died suddenly at Whangarei recently at the age of 68 years. Mrs. Lind was born in Manchester, being a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. Naden, who arrived at Auckland on the ship Matoka in 1865. The family settled at Kawakawa, Bay of Islands. Of recent years Mrs. Lind has lived at Gisborne and at Glendowie, Auckland. At the time of her death she was engaged in a tour of the North. Her husband died four years ago. There were twelve children 'of the first marriage, of whom three sons were killed, one at the Great War. She is survived by six daughters and two sons. There are 42 grandchildren and 14 great-grandchildren.
Ellesmere Guardian, 6 February 1931, Page 4 MR. JOHN GLASSEY, SEN.
The death of a very old resident, Mr John Glassey, sen, which took place on Tuesday, at his residence. For more than 55 years the late Mr Glassey, who was 79 years of age at the time of his death, had resided at Killinchy. Born in County Tyrone, Ireland, Mr Glassey came out to New Zealand in 1873 by the ship Mary Shepherd. He first settled at Lakeside, where he lived with the late Mr Dodds. Later he took service with the late Mr Samuel Ballagh, and after a short time went to the late Mr James Levett, near Killinchy, who was in later years well known as a threshing mill owner. It was while he was employed by Mr Levett, in 1876, that Mr Glassey took up his first holding of 40 acres, acting on Mr Levett's advice to become a good New Zealand citizen. In later years Mr Glassey added to his farm and remained on the same property up to the date of his death. One of those physically fit early settlers, upright and honourable in his dealings, Mr Glassey proved himself one of the best of neighbours. In addition to his farm work he carried out a great deal of road construction and maintenance work for the old Ellesmere Road Board, under the 3uper- vision of the late Mr W. G. Lunn, who was engineer to the Road Board, which subsequently became a County Council, for 45 years. Mr Glassey was highly thought of by Mr Lunn, because of the conscientious manner in which he carried out the contracts let to him. Many of the roads in the district were formed by Mr Glassey. Married at the age of 18 years, Mr Glassey is survived by a family of one daughter and three sons. His wife passed away about 22 years ago. The members of the family are Miss Glassey and Messrs Robert and Alfred Glassey, who resided at home with their father, and Mr John Glassey, a married son, who also lives at Killinchy, and who fills the position of waterworks caretaker to the Ellesmere County Council.
Ellesmere Guardian, 24 May 1932, Page 8 MRS. ELLEN PEARSON.
The death has occurred of Mrs Ellen Pearson, an old and highly esteemed resident of Springston South. Mrs Pearson, whose maiden name was Lucas, was born in Northern Ireland 90 years ago and arrived in New Zealand in the ship Blue Bonnet in 1865. Shortly after her arrival she came to Springston South, where she had resided ever since. Her husband, the late Mr Samuel Pearson, died over 20 years ago... .Mrs Pearson was a staunch member of St. Mary's Church, and until failing health intervened she was always in her place in church. She is survived by a family of four, Mr Harry Pearson, who is farming in the Waikato, Mrs Bruce, of Morven, Mrs E. Watson, of Hinds, and Miss E. Pearson, of Springston South. The interment, which was private, took place at the Springston churchyard on Monday, The Rev. A. H. Acheson read the burial service.
Evening Post, 1 November 1934, Page 19
Mrs. Sarah Caroline Wills, who died in her ninety-first year, at Winscombe, Somerset, was at one-time in charge of immigrants arriving, at the Port of Lyttelton.: She married Mr. John Thomas Green Wills, when she was sixteen. They went to Cork two years later, and from there voyaged to Montreal, returning in 1870. In 1872 Mrs. Wills, left for New Zealand aboard the sailing ship City of Glasgow, in company with her two sons. The day they arrived at Port Lyttelton the elder boy was drowned. Immigrants arriving at the, port from all parts of the world were placed in the care of Mrs. Wills by the New Zealand Government, prior to their taking up development work. At this time Mr. Wills was surveying the country for the Government in the interests of immigrants. It is interesting to recall that one of. the first sheep to be frozen at Canterbury, New Zealand, was cooked at the depot in Christchurch, of which Mrs. Wills had charge. On the family's return to England in 1886 aboard the steamship Kaikoura, the ship-wrecked crew of the sailing ship Demeram, on her outward voyage from Bristol, were picked up in the Bay of Biscay. The funeral took place at Greenbank Cemetery, Bristol. A large number of relatives of two generations attended.
Evening Post, 6 February 1935, Page 17
Nelson, February .5. The death occurred this morning of an old and respected Nelson resident, Mrs. Sarah Percival, of Wakefield Quay. A native of. Wexford County, Ireland, the deceased came out to New Zealand with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. James Butler, arriving at Lyttelton in 1875 in the ship Waimate after a smart passage of 65 days. The ship, the Cospatrick, in which the family originally intended to travel by was burnt at sea, there being only one survivor. Arriving in Nelson in 1879, Miss Butler, who was a cousin of the Marquis of Normanby, Governor of the Colony at that, time, married the late Mr. Andrew Brown, well known as a ; timber -merchant, who predeceased her 41 years ago. There were seven. children of the first marriage Norman, Douglas, Wallace, Jack (Nelson), Andrew (Auckland) ; and Miss Mabel Brown (Nelson), and Mrs. A. Rayner. (London).
Ellesmere Guardian, 9 June 1936, Page 5 MRS MARTHA LEMON
To have reached the age of 93 years after a strenuous pioneering life was a privilege which was attained by Mrs Martha Lemon, widow of the late Mr Samuel Lemon, who died last night at her residence at Killinchy, after a long life-time spent in useful service for her family and for her district, and she has left behind a fragrant memory of many kindnesses, of sympathy and thoughtfulness for others, of devotion to her family and to her church, and to those many other activities which come within the scope of women and comprise so essential a part in their lives. Born in Garvaghey, County Tyrone, Ireland, Miss Martha Camac came to New Zealand in the ship Blue Jacket, landing at Lyttelton 70 years ago in November, so that her association with the district goes back to the early days of settlement. It was the time when the settlers for the plains used the bridle path from Lyttelton to Christchurch. After spending three years in Christchurch she came to the Killinchy district, where she was destined to spend the remainder of her long life. Her marriage to Mr Samuel Lemon took place in 1872, and after spending some time on the property now occupied by Mr W. J. Lemon, Mr and Mrs Samuel Lemon took up the well-known property on Drain road. At that time large areas of Killinchy were covered with flax; there were no roads, and drays constituted the usual means of conveyance. Now the well-sheltered, well cultivated and fertile farms present a testimony and a memorial to the industry and far-sightedness of the pioneers, and in this connexion Mrs Lemon played her part worthily and succeeded in establishing an excellent reputation as a butter and cheese maker. A family of three daughters and two sons survive, Miss M. Lemon, Miss C. Lemon, Mrs J. McVinnie, of Springston, Mr Fred Lemon, and Mr L. C. Lemon, of Killinchy. Another daughter, Mrs Boal, died some years ago. There are also 14 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren. The interment will take place at the Ellesmere Cemetery and will be private.
Evening Post, 6 October 1939, Page 11
A very old resident of Wadestown and formerly a well-known nurse, Mrs. Mary A. Norling, widow of the late Mr. Augustus E. Norling, died this week at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. W. E. Watts, 33 Creswick Terrace, Northland, at the age of 85 years. Before her marriage, Mrs. Norling was a Miss McCauley, and she arrived in New Zealand 63 years ago from Plymouth in the ship Caroline. Leaving England on October 12, 1875, the Caroline reached Nelson on January 13, 1876. The deceased stayed in Nelson for a year before coming to Wellington, where she married. She resided in Wadestown for 53 years, and her husband predeceased her 35 years ago. For the last two years she had been residing with her daughter, Mrs. Watts, in Northland. Mrs. Norling had seven children. Her eldest son was killed in the Great War, her third daughter, Mrs. H. McGill, of Rona Bay, died in 1930, and she is survived by three daughters and two sons, 35 grandchildren, and 37. great-grandchildren.
Evening Post, 23 May 1941, Page
Mrs. Mary Ann Jacobs, who attained her hundredth birthday on February 18 last, died at her residence at Cobden this morning. A native of the Isle of Wight, Mrs. Jacobs arrived at Nelson with her husband and four children on the Adamant after a voyage of 93 days. The family transhipped to the Wallace and arrived at Greymouth in 1874. They took up land at Omoto, where Mrs. Jacobs resided for 64 years before removing to Cobden. Mr. Jacobs died in 1922. Of the family of ten, one daughter and three sons survive. There are 29 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
Evening Post, 18 February 1943,
Page 6 MRS. CATHERINE O'CONNOR
The death occurred at Wellington recently of Mrs. Catherine O'Connor, of Wilton Bush Road, Wadestown, in her 91st year. Mrs. O'Connor was born in Edinburgh and came to New Zealand with her mother, Mrs. Clark, on a year's holiday, arriving at Port Chalmers by the ship Elizabeth Fleming in 1867. Mrs. Clark later returned to Edinburgh, leaving her young daughter with a married sister. A few years later she married Benjamin, youngest son of the late Lieut. Matthew O'Connor, of the Hon. East Indian Navy, stationed at the Island of St. Helena. Except for a years travel abroad in 1912, Mrs. O'Connor had resided in the Dominion for the past 76 years, 46 years being spent in Dunedin and 30 years in Wellington. She was of a gracious and lovable nature and her busy hands were seldon idle, knitting socks for the soldiers being a constant occupation. Right up to the last she took a keen interest in local and world affairs. Her husband predeceased her 40 years ago, Matthew, the youngest boy, 10 years ago, and Robert Clark, the eldest, last December. The remaining members of the family are Mesdames James Hislop, Margaret Robyns, and Adelene (Wellington). Messrs. James (Timaru), Benjamin (Wellington), and David (Masterton) There are seven grandchildren and six great grandchildren. Many messages and floral tributes came from all parts of New Zealand. The service at the chapel and at the graveside was conducted by the Rev. Mr. Rollings.
Evening Post, 29 July 1944, Page 10 Mrs. I.J. Fake
The death occurred recently of Mrs. Bridget A. Fake, wife of Mr. I. J. Fake, Wellington. Mrs. Fake, who was born at Scariff, County Clare, Ireland-, 75 years ago, came to New Zealand with her parents, the late Mr. and Mrs. J. O'Brien, at the age of six years in the ship Michael Angelo, landing at Nelson on January 25, 1875. Her marriage to Mr. Fake took place at Wellington in 1884, and they lived afterwards for 25 years in Palmerston North, where Mrs. Fake was a constant help to the parish of St. Patrick's Church. Her lovable nature endeared her to all. Mrs. W. Hills, Mrs. Jas. Kershaw, and Mrs. M. Roach (Hataitai) .are sisters, and Mr. J. O'Brien (Brooklyn) is a brother of Mrs. Fake.
Evening Post, 13 April 1945, Page 3
The last of the 551 settlers who arrived in Dunedin in 1848 to found the settlement of Otago died yesterday at the age of 97. She was Mrs. Ann Fraser, of High Street, Timaru. Daughter of Mr. John and Mrs. Margaret Black, Mrs. Fraser was born in Edinburgh on February 29, 1848, and was only six weeks old when her parents left for New Zealand in the ship Blundell. After a trip of five months they reached Port Chalmers on September 21, 1848. Mrs. Fraser has been living in Timaru for the past 50 years. She is survived by two daughters, both living in Timaru.
We "know" from their obits., that that is the how & when of their arrival, but the only passenger lists I have found, don't list all the passengers, only the "cabin" ones. Dr Wm Bey