Marriage - 1860 Miss Catherine Lucy Hood-Williams to David Innes
There were a number of women of outstanding personality, in early Canterbury, as for instance Mrs Innes, who was a sister of Hood Williams, and a cultured lady of literary ability, and the author of many poems, etc., under the pen-name of "Kate" and "Touchstone." Mrs Innes will be readily remembered, massive and handsome, with her Skye Terrier dog at her heels, perambulating the main thoroughfares of Christchurch. And the Misses Lowther, who kept the millinery and dressmaking establishment in a shop on the present site of the Press office. One could recognise the rustle of their black silk dresses as they walked - devotees to the old-fashioned crinoline.
Marriage in 1860 changed David Innes’ life, and the management
of the Pareora Station, south of Timaru. He had brought his fiancée, along with
her mother, for a visit to the station, but the journey from Christchurch was so
traumatic that she refused to return. So it was that David Innes became resident
in Christchurch, and was soon a member of the Canterbury Provincial Council.
Because of this enforced absence managers for the station became a necessity and
by late 1867 a new homestead, along with a 16 stand woolshed, was built at the
eastern end of the station. After selling his station, Innes lived at
Springfield, a house on 25 acres off Papanui Road where Innes' Road is named
after him. Waimate also has an Innes St. Kate came out on the Randolph
with her parents as a chief cabin passenger, at age 11.
Williams, Theodore, age 38
Williams, Mrs, age 34
Williams, Catherine age 11
Williams, Daniel Theodore age 9
Williams, Charles Hood age 7
Lyttelton Times, 28 January 1860, Page 4
MARRIED. Jan. 26, at St. Michael's Church, Christchurch, by the Lord Bishop of Christchurch, assisted by the Ven. Archdeacon of Akaroa, David Innes, Esq., J.P. of the Pareora, to Catharine Lucy Williams, only daughter of the late D. T. Williams, Esq., late of Riccarton. Canterbury, New Zealand, and formerly of Heytesbury, Wiltshire.
Burke wrote on page 151: He was a pleasant sort of man, and for a time lived in a nice place on the Papanui Road, when he married Miss Kate Williams, sister of C.H. Williams. She had a well known hack Silvertail.
Timaru Herald, 29 December 1865, Page 2
We regret to learn that David Innes, Esq., one of the oldest settlers in this district died at Christchurch on Sunday last.
Star 30 April 1900, Page 3
On April 28, 1900, at her residence in Oriental Bay, Wellington, Catherine Lucy Innes, relict of the late David Innes; aged sixty years.
Evening Post, 26 October 1939, Page 13 Obituary
The death, of Mr. T. D. C. Innes, more generally known as Charles or D. C. Innes, of "Taumaru," 28 Grass Street, where he had resided for nearly 40 years, robs Wellington and Canterbury of an old and much respected identity. His father was one of the earliest Canterbury settlers, and at one time owner of the Pareora run, near Timaru. His mother was Katharine Lucy Hood-Williams, of the well known Canterbury family, who arrived in the Randolph, one of the first four ships. She possessed great literary ability, and many of her poems and stories were of considerable merit. In her later years she was regarded as one of the leading authorities on early pioneering and political history. Thomas Cass, who surveyed much of the South Island and after whom many points of interest have been named, was Mr. Charles Innes's step-grandfather. Much of the stock that has made the Plains areas world-famous had its foundation laid at Pareora, where Mr. Innes's father was an important importer and breeder of pedigree rams and sheep, for which he gained a high reputation, and was often the recipient of leading show honours.
Star 10 December 1885, Page 3
Williams. Oct. 10, at London, David Theodore Williams, solicitor ; aged 43. One of the first Christ's College Boys.
Star 10 December 1885, Page 3
In our obituary columns yesterday was recorded the death of Mr David Theodore Williams, solicitor, of London. The deceased gentleman was the son of Mr Theodore Williams, a passenger by the Randolph, one of the first four ships in which the "Pilgrims" made their way to the Canterbury settlement, and brother of Mr C. Hood Williams, the present Secretary to the Lyttelton Harbour Board. His name stands fourth on the list of Christ's College pupils, one of the five who presented themselves to Dean Jacobs when the school was opened in Christchurch in April, 1852. Mr Williams was only a year at the College, and afterward, went Home to England and studied at Pembroke College, Oxford, where he took his degree. We understand that he was much respected s in his profession, which he had practised with considerable success.
Evening Post, 1 May 1912, Page 7
The late Mr. C. Hood Williams, secretary of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, whose death was reported yesterday, was born in Edinburgh in 1844, but he belonged to a Welsh family, and was always proud of his nationality. Most of his life was spent in Canterbury. He was indeed (telegraphs our Christchurch correspondent) one of the very early settlers. He came with his father, Mr. David Theodore Williams, in the Randolph, one of the historical first four ships, in 1850, and was therefore one of th 746 persons who left England to make a new settlement in the part of New Zealand under the auspices of the Canterbury Association. When Christ College was founded by the pioneers, he attended it, being one of the first of five pupils to present themselves when the institution was opened in 1851. In 1873 Mr. Williams was appointed Assistant Secretary of Public Works, under the Canterbury Provincial Council. He held that position until the provinces, with their councils, were aboloished, in 1876. In the following year he was appointed secretary mid treasurer of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, a position which he occupied up to the time of his death.
Mr. Charles Hood Williams, J.P., Secretary and treasurer of the Lyttelton Harbour Board, is of Welsh extraction, but was born in Edinburgh, in the year 1844. He arrived with his father, Mr David Theodore Williams, B.A. (Oxon.), in Port Cooper in December, 1850, by the ship “Randolph” on the same day that the first ship, the “Charlotte Jane,” entered port. Mr. Williams was educated at Christ's College, Christchurch, being one of the first five pupils who presented themselves at the opening of that school in 1852. After studying sheepfarming for a couple of years on his brother-in-law's station at Pareora, near Timaru, he entered the Union Bank of Australia, in 1861, but left on account of ill-health, after three years service. Early in March, 1877, he was appointed secretary and treasurer to the Lyttelton Harbour Board, and has held that post for twenty-five years.
To some of the present generation the name of Cass is associated only with a river and a halting place on the West Coast Road.
Thomas Cass was born in Yorkshire in 1817 and educated at
Christ's Hospital where he was in the Royal Mathematical Foundation for four
years. He then went to sea and served in the East India trade. After three years
he gave this up and studied architecture and surveying, and on qualifying was
employed as an assistant in the Tithe Commission Office, Somerset House. The
newly founded colony of New Zealand attracted him and he obtained the post of
assistant surveyor with the New Zealand Company. The Prince Rupert, in
which he left England, was wrecked at the Cape of Good Hope, and with it went
most of his belongings. He continued his voyage in the Antilla,
reaching Auckland in December 1841. In 1847 Cass returned to England to press
his claim for compensation for the loss of his position as surveyor. The
formation of the Canterbury Association led, in July 1848, to the dispatch of an
advance party under Captain Joseph Thomas, with Cass and Torlesse as assistant
surveyors, to select a site for the proposed Church of England settlement. They
sailed in the Bernicia, reached Wellington in November, hired a cutter, the Fly,
and with William Fox, the New Zealand Company's agent, and five survey, hands
proceeded to Port Cooper, landing at Purau on 15 December. Cass began by making
the first detailed survey of Lyttelton Harbour, previously roughly charted by M.
Fournier of the French corvette Heroine. When the site for the
Canterbury settlement had been decided, he made the first trigonometrical survey
of the Christchurch district preparatory to the laying off of the town itself.
He next surveyed the Lincoln and Ellesmere districts. In January 1851, on
Captain Thomas's precipitate departure, he became Chief Surveyor in Canterbury,
a position which he held until March 1867 when he retired on account of his
health – he suffered from chronic asthma. He played a prominent part in the life
of the young community. He was a member of the Church of England and served as
churchwarden at St. Michael's. He married the widow of David Theodore Williams
in 1856. They had no family and after his wife's death in 1885, he lived very
quietly with his stepson, C. Hood-Williams, until his death in Christchurch on
17 April 1895. Reference: CASS, Thomas, from An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand,
edited by A. H. McLintock, originally published in 1966.
The Star, 22 January 1906
HISTORICAL SITES PEGGED IN HAGLEY PARK. Two old pioneers, who have grown grey-haired in the work of colonisation in Canterbury, accompanied Mr H. G. Ell and two reporters through Hagley Park this morning, and located interesting historical sites, and Mr Ell drove pegs into the ground so that the spots might be identified. The pegs are marked with numbers, which will correspond with records, describing the incidents associated with them. The Hon C. C. Bowen, Speaker of the Legislative Council, and Mr C. Hood Williams, secretary to the Lyttelton Harbour Board, are the gentlemen who accompanied Mr Ell, and as the party strolled over the Park, which was an utter wilderness when they saw it first, over fifty years ago, they talked of times which have gone by. Across it the view was a mass of uninviting sand hills, almost utterly devoid of vegetation, and apparently not capable of being turned to use. Those sand hills now form the Christchurch Domain Gardens, and are covered with a luxuriant growth of plants from many dlifferemt parts of the world. Mr Williams showed where the fourth peg should be placed. It is about fifty yards further north than the third peg. but still on the high bank of the river, and nearly opposite to the little native plantation that is known as "the island." That is where Mr Williams's father, the late Mr D. Theodore Williams, erected a whare, with a raupo roof, in 1851. It was built to face north, and close to it, but disappearing in the distance, was the track through the tussocks, leading to the river and Riccarton. Bracken fern grew around it, and it looked across the river on to more fern, intermingled I with ______heads and flax bushes. Very near the front door there was a little gully, which may still be seen. In it there grew a clump of native trees, with the climbing clematis showing amongst the foliage. From the edge of the water a rude jetty ran out into the stream, with a platform made of square timber, and boats frequently used the jetty for landing stores. Mr Theodore Williams, who was educated at Oxford, where he took his B.A. degree, came out to the new, colony, bringing his family with him. There were Mr and Mrs Williams and three daughters; Mr D. T. Williams, who went to England, where he became a barrister and solicitor ; Miss K. L. Williams, who married Mr D. Innes, of Pareora, near Timaru, and who is well known as a writer about pioneering days; and Mr C Hood Williams. Mr Williams was about six years old at that time, and he does not recall many incidents, of those days. He has a vivid recollection, however, of one incident shortly after his family took up their residence in the banks of the river. The Maoris, who, by the way, erected his father's house, made him a mokihi, or raft of flax-sticke, according to their ideas of ship-building. They used these rafts for crossing rivers and stream, for which they were well adapted. Mr Williams boarded his vessel, and boldly went out into the stream, which rapidly bone him away from his home and friends. His pleasure was soon turned to fright, which he voiced by means of a sturdy pair of lungs, which soon brought his father to his assistance. The only regret he felt at the time was that his father would not rescue the mokihi as well as the venture some mariner upon it, and the raft was lost. There were large numbers of Maoris in the district then, and native game was plentiful. He often watched the Maoris catching native ducks. They arranged a number of flax loops from one side of the river to the other. The loops just touched the surface of the water, and the ducks, swimming down the stream, ran their heads into the loops, and were caught. Native quail, which are now extinct, were so plentiful as to-be quite a nuisance. They could be heard all night long, and cats frequently hunted them with success. Standing on the historical spot, Mr Williams pointed out several other interesting places. One of these is the point of the South Park, near the inn, where early cricket matches were held. Mr Deans cropped that part of the Park in those days, and it yielded him sixty bushels of wheat to the acre.